NEXDN question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nacsr

Premium Subscriber
Local PD has a NEXEDGE SYSTEM WITH 2 sites. What are the pros and cons to monitoring both sites?
I'm wondering if I should just monitor the one closest to me or both. I'm about 5 miles from the closest.The broadcast quality, is somewhat muddled though usually understandable. Volume is good. I guess the digital just isn't as clear as analog? Local mutual aid is broadcast over both analog and digital and analog is definitely better. Thanks .

troymail

Silent Key
There could potentially be different activity on the two different sites. You could try to scan both but if the reception on the more distant site is poor, you might not want to. Only you can determine which option is better through trial and error.

Digital does take some time to get used to. I've always said that it's about giving your ears and brain time to "adjust" to the sound.

Eventually, particularly if you are used to listening to analog that routinely contains static and/or is adversely affected but things like cell towers, etc. you come to love digital and hate it when you have to listen to analog.... you probably don't believe that but give it time and see what happens.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Multi site NexEdge systems can be set up to allow certain talkgroups on one site only. Unlikely for PD use, but in the event other agencies/departments are using it (public works, etc) you may want to.

TDR-94

Low bit rate,extremely band limited, Digital voice will never sound natural.It's just how things work with our ear-brain system.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Low bit rate,extremely band limited, Digital voice will never sound natural.It's just how things work with our ear-brain system.

I'd partially agree.
I've been running a NexEdge trunked system since 2013. Properly set up, it sounds as good as narrow band FM.
Our dispatch runs a couple of VHF channels as well as a few talkgroups on the NexEdge system. Hearing the same dispatcher, same headset, etc. on my NX-900 running in NXDN mode sounds slightly better than hearing them on my NX-700 running in narrow band FM. Same receive radio platform, same external speakers. Difference is dispatchers are talking in on the trunked system via RF and on the VHF side they are talking wireline into either MTR-2000's or Quantars.

Trick is that the radios have to be set up correctly. There are a few options when it comes to audio, and getting those set correctly makes a big difference. It's possible that what you are hearing isn't the fault of it being digital, but more likely the way the transmitting radio was set up.

There is some very slight digital artifacts when you get out near the fringes, but after a while, my ear/brain has adapted.

Not sure how it sounds on consumer grade scanners, but it sounds just fine on a proper radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.