NiMH Rechargeables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron_199

Hi, I recently just got a new BCD396XT scanner. I noticed that it came with 3 "AA" rechargeable NiMH batteries. I did some reading on the internet and heard somewhere that it is dangerous to recharge them in the scanner, and that it is also dangerous just to use them at all. Is that true??

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Aaron;
Welcome to the RR boards! I have the same scanner. "Technically" there is a built in charger in the scanner which will charge the batteries at a low voltage. Many people have done this without a problem. However, anytime you run electricity through the scanner to charge any battery ( Nicads or NiMH) you cause heat to build up inside the scanner. There is always an assumed risk whenever this happens. Most of us on here prefer to charge externally for many reasons. One, no risk, no matter how little, is worth taking with an expensive scanner such as the 396XT. Second, some external chargers can help your batteries last longer and charge more effectively each time. Some even give you the ability to choose charge types, charge rates, and even condition your batteries. Here is an example of a good charger:
Amazon.com: La Crosse Technology BC-700 Alpha Power Battery Charger: Home & Garden
As you can see, a good charger does not have to cost a lot. As far as using them, NiMH batteries are among the best to use! So while you can charge internally, most on here would recommend going with an external charger.

Manny

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Hi, I recently just got a new BCD396XT scanner. I noticed that it came with 3 "AA" rechargeable NiMH batteries. I did some reading on the internet and heard somewhere that it is dangerous to recharge them in the scanner, and that it is also dangerous just to use them at all. Is that true??

You should charge them with a charger. I got rid of the stock batteries and purchased a few Energizer NiMH batteries and charger. Using the charger ensures that they do not over or under charge. I've never had issues when I used to recharge them with the scanner, but since I've been using the charger they last much longer.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
In my 396T with internal charging, the charge was only lasting about 6 to 7 hours, and decreased with battery age, and I was replacing batteries every 5 or 6 months.

I purchased the charger above and now I get 12+ hours per charge and my batteries are over 2 years old and still going strong. I charge a set every day. The charger has the ability to completely discharge the battery before charging. This makes the charge last longer. It can also recondition older batteries. And of course it will immediately indicate when a battery is bad.

I can not recommend this charger enough.

W9NES

I have posted this in a prior thread.I use 2900Mah Batteries for both my Uniden 396T and the Uniden 396Xt. My battery life is great.I use the Lacrosse BC-700 Cahrger.I will back up N1SQB on his post.Use a good charger and you should be just fine

Bob_61

I got this on ebay cheaper 56.00 w/shipping,but they don't have anymore. This is what I found on amazon : Amazon.com: La Crosse Technology Alpha Power Battery Charger, BC1000: Home & Garden
I have "brought back to life some batts that would not charge in my older standard charger. So far so good, at least at this point I'm very happy with this charger. This has a few extras but I guess the extra price is what you have to consider if is worth it. :)

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
I personally wouldn't charge batteries in a handheld scanner due to the possiblely that the batteries might overheat.A scanner can do many things but charging batteries isn't really what they were made for.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
When I first got my 396XT, I left it powered on with the stock batteries in it. After a day or so, it would shut off and come back on after a while. I figured out it was getting too hot. Once I removed the batteries I've never had it happen again.

Another good charger line is the PowerX models. You can find them on Amazon sold by Thomas Distributing.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

McP

I think you've already gotten the best answer(s) posted above. But I have to quote another thread where this same question was asked. Unfortunately, I can't remember the author, but.... "Would you want to charge your batteries with a $400+ charger (scanner) and risk a problem or a $50 or less charger?"

Charger all the way.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I have posted this in a prior thread.I use 2900Mah Batteries for both my Uniden 396T and the Uniden 396Xt. My battery life is great.I use the Lacrosse BC-700 Cahrger.I will back up N1SQB on his post.Use a good charger and you should be just fine

Tim, I have YOU to thank for leading me to the BC-700 charger. I now have a second one enroute! LOL..
This charger really tells you a lot about your batteries. I HIGHLY recommend it. The price is also unbeatable too.....

Manny

W9NES

Manny, You are very welcome and I was glad to be of help to you and others on this Uniden Fourm.If you need anything please feel free to send me a pm anytime.

gaburbano

Premium Subscriber
Rechargeable Batteries

I also just purchased the 396xt, and had a couple of questions earlier this week over the life of the batteries it came with. After tweaking some settings in the scanner, and charging the batteries in the scanner, I got over 10hrs on a single charge.
They do get hot though, so I purchased another charger from Radio Shack, with 2 sets of batteries. Now I charge the batteries in the charger instead. I don't want the scanner to fry...

I labeled each set A-1 thru A4, then B-1 thru B4 etc.. and I rotate them I get over 12hrs per charge per set now. It would have been better to design the scanner with 4 batteries, a little more life and easier to keep track of batteries, but then again it would have made the scanner a little bigger and I really do like its size..

The scanner is awesome though, I have an IC-R20 for several years now, and I definitely like the 396XT although, I really like the built in recorder and dual watch feature of the R-20..

George

Status
Not open for further replies.