NMO 3/4" - really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samyham

Everywhere I look the NMO mount is 3/4". In other words drill a 3/4"hole in your vehicle's roof and slip in your nmo mount and attach antenna and your good to go. Well, I have a browning br-180 and a browning br316 magnet nmo mount that fits it.

I can guarantee you that the associated male and female parts measure at least 1" in diameter. In other words you make a 3/4" hole for a mount and whatever mount you can fit in it is not going to fit my antenna - it will be too small!

Can someone explain what's going on here?

prcguy

The New Motorola Mount typically has a rectangular shaped bar that is 3/4" wide and at least 1" long that sits below the threaded antenna interface. You stuff the coax from the outside of the vehicle through the hole, then angle this 3/4" wide by 1" long bar into the hole then its fingered edges grip the inside of the car roof and provide something to tighten the NMO nut against.
prcguy

Samyham

Thanks prcguy. I had a vague hunch that it might be something like that. Makes sense and answers all questions. Thanks for clearing it up.

cmdrwill

NMO AKA 3/4 Motorola mount.
NMO mounts are usually for 3/4 dia hole. There are NMO for 3/8 and 5/8 size holes also.

Avoid the cheeeeep off brand mounts. ie Browning and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.