NMO mounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJ_NORTON

Are there any differences between different brands of NMO mounts? What makes one better than another?

I'm going to install a dualband antenna on the roof of my car, but I don't want to skimp on quality after I made the plunge to drill a hole in the roof! Also does the coax make much if a difference? Total run will probably be about 10 feet.

Thanks!

BJ

code3cowboy

The type of coax and the mount itself distinguish the various models. I almost always use an antenex MBD as they have 100% shielded RG58U and solid brass hardware.

As for putting a small hole in the roof, it is a proper install and not that big of a deal. Professionals use crimp on connectors while (lord knows why) HRO seems to exclusively have solder on RF terminals in the stores. The performance gain/loss is negligible however the solder on hardware is far easier to screw up on the install.

DcotorWu

I'd look on ebay for some NOS Motorola NMO's. They are usually cheap and the quality is good. I am a cheap SOB who also does not mind soldering a connector because they are stronger and last longer.

Wu

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I always use the dual shield RG-58 cables. Sometimes a bit harder to find, but can make a bit of a difference. It's almost always on 800MHz systems, but that will apply well to a dual band amateur radio.

The Motorola kits are pretty good, but they are made by someone else, so don't pay extra for the name.
LMR-195 is a good choice, as is the LMR-240, if your installation will allow you to use something a bit larger and less flexible.

Stick with the brand names, don't buy the cheap Chinese ones. Stick with Larsen, Antennex, etc. Cutting corners on your antenna system will just lead to issues down the road.

I've started using some of the Larsen HF NMO mounts, but so far, I haven't noticed any difference. When I use up what I have in stock, I'll likely go back to the non-HF models, unless a specific application calls for them.

SCPD

QRT
Worth mentioning when installing NMO mounts. Make a 3/4" hole and feed all the coax from the outside thru the hole into the vehicle. If you try to go from the inside out, you'll think you need a 7/8" hole and have a loose fit.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
I've started using some of the Larsen HF NMO mounts, but so far, I haven't noticed any difference.

And you won't unless you use frequencies above 1 GHz, pull the brass button cap off the base and use an antenna made for that HF base with the button cap off.

Status
Not open for further replies.