BC246T: No Com Port? Win 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

keithmj

Saint Petersburg, Pinellas County, Florida
I went ahead and ordered the cable, in the meantime I will keep reading and searching on how to do it without the new cable.
The drivers suggested are installed as they show up in the uninstall programs. At least if I sell the scanner the person buying it will be able to connect to it.
As soon as I plug the scanner in the computer sees it but says there is no com port. I'll dig out another scanner, the PRO-97 and see if it has the same problems. Thanks to all.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
As soon as I plug the scanner in the computer sees it but says there is no com port. I'll dig out another scanner, the PRO-97 and see if it has the same problems. Thanks to all.
-

Can you confirm that the older cable you are working with is the actual "Uniden USB-1" cable?

keithmj

-

Can you confirm that the older cable you are working with is the actual "Uniden USB-1" cable?
I really can not say, I bought it so long ago, at that time it was either from the company I bought the scanner from, Scanner Master or from Radio Shack. There are no names on the cable anywhere but it was probably bought in 2003 or sooner.

Last edited:

laidback

RailFanning is a way of Life
Premium Subscriber
I really can not say, I bought it so long ago, at that time it was either from the company I bought the scanner from, Scanner Master or from Radio Shack. There are no names on the cable anywhere but it was probably bought in 2003 or sooner.
The "Uniden USB-1" cable uses the Prolific chip, the Amazon cable uses FTDI chip.

keithmj

The "Uniden USB-1" cable uses the Prolific chip, the Amazon cable uses FTDI chip.
Is this is anything I need to worry about? Does it make a difference? I just know they say it will work with Win10 and no drivers are needed. I didn't want to keep installing drivers if I get another computer. I can still cancel the order if I am going to have problems using it.

keithmj

I dusted off my Pro-96 and tried using the Radio Shack interface cable 20-047 that it uses and the scanner program will not see the radio. It would be nice if they came out with an adapter to be used with different radios, now this cable needs to be replaced too.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Are the drivers actually being installed? I had a problem with a PCI WiFi board showing errors and whenever I attempted to install the vendor drivers it failed and default drivers repeatedly installed. WIN 10 seems very resistant to user asserting admin privileges.

keithmj

Are the drivers actually being installed? I had a problem with a PCI WiFi board showing errors and whenever I attempted to install the vendor drivers it failed and default drivers repeatedly installed. WIN 10 seems very resistant to user asserting admin privileges.
Hi...I went into the Apps and Features in the settings and the drivers show up so I assume they are installed. When they are installed I don't know where they install them so I don't know where of what to look for. I can remove them there also. I ran the exe file and it didn't say they weren't installed. Thanks.

keithmj

I bought the cable on Amazon and the cable is shown in the other devices when connected and removed but it has the yellow ! on the icon and windows does not recognizes the scanner. It is FT231X USB UART in the device manager.
USB Serial Programming Cable for Uniden Bearcat BC250D BC296D UBC3300XLT BC246T BR330T BCD396T BC346XT
This is what they are supposed to support, it is plug and play, which it does but I think I need a driver for it.

It should not be this hard to get a scanner working. Now I have two cables but one problem.

keithmj

I was able to get the Amazon programming cable that has the FTDI chipset to work as it is supposed too. It took me awhile to find it without being charged something. I got it from ftdichipset, the company that makes them, I used the virtual com port drivers and I installed them using the exe file and the cable connected right up.
On my computer when I click on show hidden files no icons show, only when I plug the cable in does it come up and defaults to com3.
Now I have to figure out the original cable that came with the BC246T scanner and get it running.
Virtual COM Port Drivers
Virtual COM port (VCP) drivers

keithmj

I bought the BC246T scanner between 2008-2010 and it came with the programing cable the cable does not have any name on it, Does anyone know what chipset the cable would have if it has one? Other owners of this radio have to have the same cable problems. Does anyone have the solution? I would like to get the old cable working as I have another radio I can use it with. let me know.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I bought the BC246T scanner between 2008-2010 and it came with the programing cable the cable does not have any name on it, Does anyone know what chipset the cable would have if it has one? Other owners of this radio have to have the same cable problems. Does anyone have the solution? I would like to get the old cable working as I have another radio I can use it with. let me know.
-
Do you remember where you purchased the scanner/cable combo?

Best thing is to post a detailed pic or 2 of the cable.... especially a closeup of the connector that goes to the scanner, and also a closeup if it has a device (USB to Serial converter) located in the middle of the cable. If there's no device (lump) in the middle of the cable, a closeup of the USB connector on the computer end would help.

keithmj

I bought most of my older scanners from either ScannerMaster or Radio Shack, most of my supplies were from Radio Shack. I think the cable is from Radio Shack. It use to work. It is the original cable.
When I plug in my radio windows say it does not recognize this device. Strange. Thanks.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
My cable.
That is definitely not the Uniden USB-1 cable, (the older one or the newer one). I have no idea where you would get a current driver for that if Windows doesn't recognize it. Being "Made in China", that could even have one of the counterfeit chips in it that worked at one time, but is no longer supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.