NO SOUND

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stage1gs

I have a Grecom 500. Up to 2 nights ago my scanner was working and I could hear what was going on on multiple frequencies. Now my scanner is quiet as a church mouse. Anyone have any ideas of a fix for this? I am southern Brevard County Florida. Thanks in advance.

RBMTS

Bring up a local active NOAA weather channel to see if you have audio. If yes, it’s a problem with your other programmed channels. If no audio, try plugging in ear phones (maybe the speaker connection went bad).
Ultimately you can do a full master reset and hope that brings the scanner back to its original working state.
Good luck!

Stage1gs

Hi Randy....no sound with NOAA .... I tried ear phones. ... so I'm off to do a full reset.

Stage1gs

Hi Randy...did a full reset...do you know a channel that is currently broadcasting I can plug in?

fourgres

Premium Subscriber
I have a GRE 500 also and the sound goes off or real quiet, I tap on the back of the unit and it comes back. Had the Unit apart several times and cannot seem to find the problem, I'll try again lol

a417

I have a GRE 500 also and the sound goes off or real quiet, I tap on the back of the unit and it comes back. Had the Unit apart several times and cannot seem to find the problem, I'll try again lol
that screams cold solder joint. Now you just have to find it.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I have a Grecom 500. Up to 2 nights ago my scanner was working and I could hear what was going on on multiple frequencies. Now my scanner is quiet as a church mouse.
The new Broward County Public Safety P25 system is entirely Phase 2 which your scanner cannot receive. On the Coral Springs, Plantation, Fort Lauderdale P25 system, Coral Springs and Fort Lauderdale are currently Phase 1. Plantation Fire and Police are Phase 2 which your scanner cannot receive.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Please disregard my previous post! I just noticed that I misread your thread. You are in Brevard County, not Broward. Sorry about that! The GRE-500, Pro-106, Pro-651, and WS1040 all are notorious for the solder connection from the antenna connector to the circuit board breaking if any stress is applied to the antenna.

Last edited:

RADIO-007

Also a note there is sheilds
That are well sodered
Limited access to fix components
Without a lot of time and care involved
Care is need while removing soder
Heating of sober iron need to be low as possible
To remove the shield Soder not to damage other components in its area

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Your post says "no sound". That's different than "no reception". To me, no sound means that when you've moved the squelch fully counter-clockwise, with the volume high, you hear nothing. The scanner should be parked on some WX channel, manual frequency using TUNE or similar (perhaps set to AM). If the channel you're on has CTCSS, DCS or NAC squelch control enabled; that could be blocking the audio. If all of the above is correct, the next two items I'd suspect are the headphone jack and/or speaker. I regularly use an external speaker and it tends to wear out that little switch in the headphone jack. If I am off-base, then we should make it clear you're dealing with lack of reception, which is different than no audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.