No squelch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barnjake56

Purchased a DSD 200, had my county programmed, was working great, now with scanner on , I turn the squelch dial up and down and there is no squelch at all.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Purchased a DSD 200, had my county programmed, was working great, now with scanner on , I turn the squelch dial up and down and there is no squelch at all.
What makes you think there is no squelch at all? On the SDS200 (see K4EET's comment above), you can see the squelch setting on the display. Is the number not changing as you adjust the dial?

Is there a system that needs squelch to eliminate static? If you are listening to a fairly strong system, especially if close to the transmit site, it could have a signal that is not going to be affected by most any setting.

dougjgray

If you are listening to a p25 SYS the sqelch will not do anything does the sqelch number change when you move it up and down also check it on a conventional channel

tvengr

Well Known Member
Normally, you will hear RF noise only when monitoring a conventional frequency using carrier squelch. If CTCSS or DCS squelch is programmed on a conventional frequency, there will be no RF noise at any position of the squelch control. The squelch should always be set to a point to where it just quiets the noise. If turned up too high, you will receive only the strongest of signals.

Barnjake56

What makes you think there is no squelch at all? On the SDS200 (see K4EET's comment above), you can see the squelch setting on the display. Is the number not changing as you adjust the dial?

Is there a system that needs squelch to eliminate static? If you are listening to a fairly strong system, especially if close to the transmit site, it could have a signal that is not going to be affected by most any setting.
When I turn the dial on the squelch the numbers go up or down , but no sound, thanks for the responses, and yes I had the wrong model down .

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
When I turn the dial on the squelch the numbers go up or down , but no sound, thanks for the responses, and yes I had the wrong model down .
You're not going to hear anything monitoring any digital channels, because the radio has to hear digital data it can decode into audio before it will output any audio. You only get static with open squelch on analog channels.

Barnjake56

You're not going to hear anything monitoring any digital channels, because the radio has to hear digital data it can decode into audio before it will output any audio. You only get static with open squelch on analog channels.
Thank you so much ! I appreciate the info, I am new to this and radio Reference, I can not believe the help and info and the number of responses back. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.