ProScan Noise on audio feed

I am trying to set up my BCT 15x as well as with my 996 P2 to stream. I am using the appropriate stereo cable from the scanner to the line in or even the mic in. I know there's a difference between the two and that line out should normally go to line in but sometimes the audio level is too low to begin with. Even though the scanner is properly squelched I am hearing what sounds like computer noise with a repetitive tick tick tick tick while the scanner is scanning and a hash noise. The audio feed never drops and can be clearly heard going to the website with a browser or using Scanner Radio Pro on my Android. I have found that I can knock it down using The Equalizer and notching 3600 down to -15db. I have heard this same computer/clock noise on many audio feeds and find it a distraction. I don't want it on my feeds. Where should I start looking?

I don't want to embarrass anyone but here are some examples:

This last one is a good one and one cannot only hear the computer hash but also a ground Loop hum that somehow both get clamped down on like a repeater output drops. Except that this County trunking system doesn't have a repeater timeout. I only have know what I'm talking about as I prepare for my technicians test. Please don't hold it against me. I'm trying to learn. Thank you in advance.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Those links are useless, they are to an app, not a website. (Either a live stream, or recorded stream on a ile sharing site.)

FWIW, that app pulls its audio streams from this site. (Broadcastify is the streaming side of this site.) Start by listening there, and share those links.

Thank you. I'll have to figure out how to do that since feeds are associated with my scanner pro application. It's the default player. When I click on them from broadcastify it automatically opens scanner pro which pulls from Radio reference. Let me see what I can do. Thank you again.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I am trying to set up my BCT 15x as well as with my 996 P2 to stream. I am using the appropriate stereo cable from the scanner to the line in or even the mic in. I know there's a difference between the two and that line out should normally go to line in but sometimes the audio level is too low to begin with. Even though the scanner is properly squelched I am hearing what sounds like computer noise with a repetitive tick tick tick tick while the scanner is scanning and a hash noise. The audio feed never drops and can be clearly heard going to the website with a browser or using Scanner Radio Pro on my Android. I have found that I can knock it down using The Equalizer and notching 3600 down to -15db. I have heard this same computer/clock noise on many audio feeds and find it a distraction. I don't want it on my feeds. Where should I start looking?

I don't want to embarrass anyone but here are some examples:

This last one is a good one and one cannot only hear the computer hash but also a ground Loop hum that somehow both get clamped down on like a repeater output drops. Except that this County trunking system doesn't have a repeater timeout. I only have know what I'm talking about as I prepare for my technicians test. Please don't hold it against me. I'm trying to learn. Thank you in advance.

The Line In shouldn't be low level. If it is then turn up the scanner volume. How I adjust mine is by first, going to the Win Mixer and check that the Line In is at 100% then I tune the scanner to a constant modulation signal such as WX or a trunking control channel then I turn up the volume until I hear clipping then turn down until the clipping goes away. The knob should be about 40%. If it's a lot higher than you may have a bad cable. The Mic input can be used, just turn down the level in the Win Mixer.

Those links are useless, they are to an app, not a website. (Either a live stream, or recorded stream on a ile sharing site.)

FWIW, that app pulls its audio streams from this site. (Broadcastify is the streaming side of this site.) Start by listening there, and share those links.
I was able to pull this link off of broadcastify. You can hear that when there is no radio traffic there's a constant tick tick tick tick tick. It doesn't sound like 60 Hz hum. I have found numerous others that have even higher volumes of this tick tick tick tick sound. Please understand that I'm not trying to draw attention to a particular feed and they volunteer efforts of those involved. But rather, to learn how to not allow this to happen coming from me.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Thank you for that link. These old eyes have a very hard time reading the page because the text is too light. Any suggestion on how I can darken it?
If you're using a desktop computer, use your browser's zoom control to make the page larger, or hold down the mouse button and drag it over the text to highlight it with a dark background.

If you're using a desktop computer, use your browser's zoom control to make the page larger, or hold down the mouse button and drag it over the text to highlight it with a dark background.
You weren't able to see the links above from broadcastify? They are the same lengths that are on broadcastify. As I mentioned my computer is set to use a certain application to listen and it goes there by default. If you hold your finger down on the broadcastify icon or connect bar it will allow you to copy the text link.

###
https: //m.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/32548

###
https: //m.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/10239

Remove the preceding blank space between https: and the // to make it a actual url. I don't know any of the fancy commands here where I could have done it an easier way.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
You weren't able to see the links above from broadcastify? They are the same lengths that are on broadcastify. As I mentioned my computer is set to use a certain application to listen and it goes there by default. If you hold your finger down on the broadcastify icon or connect bar it will allow you to copy the text link.
I can see those links form Broadcastify in your post #7 just fine. That's not the post I replied to.

Check the quote in my post again.... I clearly replied to your post #6 where you stated that you were having difficulties reading the text on the "How to maintain a good audio feed" page that blantonl linked you to. You asked for suggestions how to make the text easier to read....

Any suggestion on how I can darken it?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I checked both feeds you linked. It sounds like the CHP feed has a cycling on the encoding audio device, leading to the repeating noise. Making adjustments to the feeding device might make a difference, or using a different/better device.
The Riverside feed just sounds like a low bit rate issue, with some analog hiss being encoded.

I can see those links form Broadcastify in your post #7 just fine. That's not the post I replied to.

Check the quote in my post again.... I clearly replied to your post #6 where you stated that you were having difficulties reading the text on the "How to maintain a good audio feed" page that blantonl linked you to. You asked for suggestions how to make the text easier to read....
When you use words like "I clearly" it sounds like you are scolding me. I'm not here for that. I am not sure what to make of your reply. I am an older man and my eyesight is not what it used to be. I did look at
"How to maintain a good audio feed"
but the text is too light and I don't know how to darken it. I did not see a reply on that but I'll get over it. I could list a number of feeds that have the repetitious tick tick tick tick tick in the hissing sound that comes through which can be annoying. I don't want to be a complainer, but rather a learner. I did order a couple of the hum filters even though it doesn't seem that I have hum. I am getting the tick tick tick tick and what sounds like computer noise in the background as well as the hiss. I'm told that the hiss and possibly the tick tick tick tick it's because I am over driving the audio input. I am told it should be a 1:1 when we start at the middle on the computer. This means that there are numerous feeds out there that are doing what I don't want to do. But I'm the student.

I am just now seeing this. It was in with the other replies and I missed it. Thank you.

I realize that scanner pro pulls from Broadcastify. I pasted in the broadcast if I link that included an icon. The point was so that you could listen rather than see the underlying link. But I think I figured that out and corrected it in a subsequent post. I have found that using the EQ feature in Gordon Edwards scanner pro if I drop out 3600 to computer noise seems to disappear. My amateur radio friend said this is okay because the human voice drop off after 2700. That seems to be a solution at least. But I don't know how I can fix that on my end when I am feeding. Maybe put an equalizer in line before the computer? That's getting a little pricey to fix the issue. I am surprised that the scanner itself does not filter the audio. PL tones I'm told stop it under 300 Hz but if you listen to CHP you can hear them quite well.

LimaZulu

Since you are using line in/mic in you can use software to clean up your audio before. I can recommend Voice Shaper. A bit old software but with enough options. Maybe there is another software solution of that kind that I am unaware off. The one metioned by me can be downloaded from here DX Atlas: Amateur Radio software
It takes a bit to set it up, bout once done, it should help you a lot :) There is not bad explanation here:

Since you are using line in/mic in you can use software to clean up your audio before. I can recommend Voice Shaper. A bit old software but with enough options. Maybe there is another software solution of that kind that I am unaware off. The one metioned by me can be downloaded from here DX Atlas: Amateur Radio software
It takes a bit to set it up, bout once done, it should help you a lot :) There is not bad explanation here:
That is definitely quite informative on how to set a microphone up to transmit as an amateur radio operator. I have not got my license yet so I'll have to reserve that part for later.

But as far as feeding the scanner I will be feeding multiple feeds from one computer using multiple USB sound card dongles I think they're called. I will need to be able to switch between each Source in order to use this software to optimize them. I'll play this one by ear so to speak and see if I can get the software. Quite a lesson on how the pros do it.

LimaZulu

I am not sure if this software supports multiple instances but if it does then you can apply it on every input and achieve audio quality that you want.
Just because the demo is on focused in HAM case it doesn't mean you can't apply it in your case. Basically what is shown in the video is applicable to every source you feed through mic/line-in.

I am not sure if this software supports multiple instances but if it does then you can apply it on every input and achieve audio quality that you want.
Just because the demo is on focused in HAM case it doesn't mean you can't apply it in your case. Basically what is shown in the video is applicable to every source you feed through mic/line-in.
Thank you again. What I lack in radio skills I have in computer skills. I will be using plug-in USB sound cards that have both a mic and a line input. I will get the software and hopefully it will be able to run as a multi instance application. I suspect however that it won't be. There's only one way to find out and I am looking forward to trying the application out. I'm supposed to take my ham test soon since I'm scoring 95% on the practice exams and I'll be able to use 10 m SSB right off the bat. But for now I'll concentrate on putting up a couple of good scanner feeds from the area. Thanks again for your help.