Norman Police Dispatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

W5NIO

I’m going to OU this fall. Anyone know how active OU PD dispatch is? If they are also encrypted I might go ahead and sell my G5. I’m getting media access back home pretty soon and will have to purchase an APX, so might as well sell it for the extra cash if it’s not worth it.

W5NIO

Just bought a home in Norman and was looking forward to listening to the PD. Shucks. Hopefully fire doesn't follow after PD.

Most fire admin is pretty competent. There’s been stories of fire departments encrypting, then new fire chiefs ordering the reversal of it.

WXVOST

Premium Subscriber
I’m going to OU this fall. Anyone know how active OU PD dispatch is? If they are also encrypted I might go ahead and sell my G5. I’m getting media access back home pretty soon and will have to purchase an APX, so might as well sell it for the extra cash if it’s not worth it.

OU PD is in the clear and is generally active. They handle a plethora of calls on and around campus.

W5NIO

OU PD is in the clear and is generally active. They handle a plethora of calls on and around campus.
Good to know!! Do they have any back or supervisor channels that are not listed? I would think that they would at least have to have one.

Good to hear that they’re active. Won’t be selling me G5 now, would want to avoid messing around with motorola NAS programming for the time being.

W5NIO

I have little doubt that 'citizens page' is a primary culprit why PD ended up encrypting most of their traffic. It certainly isn't viewed with much respect by local departments. It's all good and fun until some yahoo ends up showing up at a crime scene to 'document' or worse, use the information in the process of committing a crime (which has happened in Norman). If anyone local wants more information, I suggest attending the monthly public safety oversight committee. The next meeting is on the 12th of August at 4 PM. (Complete schedule here)

Self-disclaimer: I run the 'Cleveland County Fire Scanner' page - which doesn't allow most police-related posts and is for fire incidents only. That's why someone went on to create the 'citizens' page.

I can sorta get behind them with this one. I have shown up to many scenes, but are professional and act in a media capacity. Around here most deputies will come say hello and I have even had a trooper tip me off to some good shots. Some random guy with Facebook on his phone would definitely be questioned and pressed.

But never would I think to show up to something that is family violence, medical, etc, or anything that they would not release a press release for. Sad to see the disrespect some people show to crime victims and officers. There have been some fatal scenes I have left from without footage, just because of moral and respect reasons.

W5NIO

It appears that Norman has changed talk group ID's for several talk groups, including OU PD. Does anyone have any updated TGID's for OUPD and any others that changed?

W5NIO

Well it looks like it is official. Norman police dispatch has gone silent. Hoping others don't follow but i feel they might.

Just wanted to update this, but OUPD has fully encrypted and is now on the old Norman PD primary TG. Norman Fire is fully encrypting within the next few weeks.

Turner101

Premium Subscriber
Just wanted to update this, but OUPD has fully encrypted and is now on the old Norman PD primary TG. Norman Fire is fully encrypting within the next few weeks.

Not surprising for city that cut nearly a million dollars from the police depts budget. This also means emstat will prob be encrypted too unless they move them to a diff TG.

W5NIO

Hmm. Wonder if, with the budget cuts, the response times suck, and that’s what they don’t want people to hear!

I can understand police encryption to a degree, but there is definitely something off-putting about fire encrypting. The county of 700K that I live in back at home centralizes fire dispatch, and has never had any problems with anyone listening. Fire response channels aside from hazmat and fire marshal, are all in the clear. EMS is fully unencrypted too. You can hear all of their supervisor response channels too.

I’m in the process of getting a radio keyed back home for media usage, may see if OUPD/Norman PD will budge if I present myself professionally.

W5NIO

Not surprising for city that cut nearly a million dollars from the police depts budget. This also means emstat will prob be encrypted too unless they move them to a diff TG.

I put in an open records request for their TGIDs and assignments. OU used to have 5-10 channels on the old analog system. Theres no way they can handle game days with 80K+ people, off of their single dispatch channel that is currently listed on RR.

Hopefully this will show whether or not EMSSTAT gets a new talkgroup or not.

WXVOST

Premium Subscriber
I got in touch with the Norman Fire administration regarding the rumored upcoming encryption. Contrary to the rumored 'full encryption', they're actually going to be rolling back encryption in the near future. Encryption will be limited to training and sensitive incidents (FGs 2-5). The primary fireground channel for most in-city incidents (Fireground 1) is going to be unencrypted. There was an error/misunderstanding when the Norman P25 system was installed and radios cloned a couple of years ago. FG 6 (the Little Axe & Cleveland County Fire link) and FG 7 (OKC Fire auto-aid link) will also remain in the clear.

Norman Fire DC, FG1, FG6, and FG7 will be completely in the clear.

The changes will take effect soon, but as with most things related to the government, the exact timeline is unclear.

W5NIO

I got in touch with the Norman Fire administration regarding the rumored upcoming encryption. Contrary to the rumored 'full encryption', they're actually going to be rolling back encryption in the near future. Encryption will be limited to training and sensitive incidents (FGs 2-5). The primary fireground channel for most in-city incidents (Fireground 1) is going to be unencrypted. There was an error/misunderstanding when the Norman P25 system was installed and radios cloned a couple of years ago. FG 6 (the Little Axe & Cleveland County Fire link) and FG 7 (OKC Fire auto-aid link) will also remain in the clear.

Norman Fire DC, FG1, FG6, and FG7 will be completely in the clear.

The changes will take effect soon, but as with most things related to the government, the exact timeline is unclear.

Good to know. With that being the case, has it been 100% confirmed that OU switched talkgroups and is now encrypted? I don’t hear anything on their dispatch channel anymore.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Here in the Waco area, the Gatesville PD and FD could not get along with one another. Consequently, encryption was used so that could not hear each other's traffic. I call this like I see it, passive aggressive behavior. There are sensible uses of encryption, but this is not one of them in my opinion.

toad99

Premium Subscriber
Many years ago (1976) when I lived in Longview, TX, the county sheriff used voice inversion. I went to Radio Shack and bought the parts to make a descrambler. What I found was the scrambling was to prevent the surrounding sheriff's departments from hearing the local sheriff.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Many years ago (1976) when I lived in Longview, TX, the county sheriff used voice inversion. I went to Radio Shack and bought the parts to make a descrambler. What I found was the scrambling was to prevent the surrounding sheriff's departments from hearing the local sheriff.

I still have mine.

Drkatzjr45

Emeritus Member
Premium Subscriber
I experienced this tonight with Broken Arrow

Like Broken Arrow PD this could be temporary, BAPD Dispatch would sometime come through clear for a week or two then goes back to full encryption. Like someone would accidentally "throw a switch" putting dispatch in the clear till someone else spotted it and "switched it back".

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.