Norman Police Dispatch

W5NIO

I’m going to OU this fall. Anyone know how active OU PD dispatch is? If they are also encrypted I might go ahead and sell my G5. I’m getting media access back home pretty soon and will have to purchase an APX, so might as well sell it for the extra cash if it’s not worth it.

W5NIO

Just bought a home in Norman and was looking forward to listening to the PD. Shucks. Hopefully fire doesn't follow after PD.
Most fire admin is pretty competent. There’s been stories of fire departments encrypting, then new fire chiefs ordering the reversal of it.

milton1991

Premium Subscriber
I’m going to OU this fall. Anyone know how active OU PD dispatch is? If they are also encrypted I might go ahead and sell my G5. I’m getting media access back home pretty soon and will have to purchase an APX, so might as well sell it for the extra cash if it’s not worth it.
OU PD is in the clear and is generally active. They handle a plethora of calls on and around campus.

W5NIO

OU PD is in the clear and is generally active. They handle a plethora of calls on and around campus.
Good to know!! Do they have any back or supervisor channels that are not listed? I would think that they would at least have to have one.

Good to hear that they’re active. Won’t be selling me G5 now, would want to avoid messing around with motorola NAS programming for the time being.

W5NIO

I have little doubt that 'citizens page' is a primary culprit why PD ended up encrypting most of their traffic. It certainly isn't viewed with much respect by local departments. It's all good and fun until some yahoo ends up showing up at a crime scene to 'document' or worse, use the information in the process of committing a crime (which has happened in Norman). If anyone local wants more information, I suggest attending the monthly public safety oversight committee. The next meeting is on the 12th of August at 4 PM. (Complete schedule here)

Self-disclaimer: I run the 'Cleveland County Fire Scanner' page - which doesn't allow most police-related posts and is for fire incidents only. That's why someone went on to create the 'citizens' page.
I can sorta get behind them with this one. I have shown up to many scenes, but are professional and act in a media capacity. Around here most deputies will come say hello and I have even had a trooper tip me off to some good shots. Some random guy with Facebook on his phone would definitely be questioned and pressed.

But never would I think to show up to something that is family violence, medical, etc, or anything that they would not release a press release for. Sad to see the disrespect some people show to crime victims and officers. There have been some fatal scenes I have left from without footage, just because of moral and respect reasons.

W5NIO

It appears that Norman has changed talk group ID's for several talk groups, including OU PD. Does anyone have any updated TGID's for OUPD and any others that changed?