Not Receiving Washington County, MO

joepainter

Premium Subscriber
Greetings! I'm new here, glad to find a source for such useful information. Ages ago, just after Marconi and spark-gaps and crystals, I had a Ham license for a while. I had a lot of other things to do, but at least I got acquainted enough with how radios work. All these years later, the "radio bug" has returned in the form of curiosity about scanners.

I just got a Uniden BC125AT. There's a little learning curve, but I'm gradually getting to know how to use it. I started with "search", heard several "live" frequencies, and saved them as channels in Bank 1. Then I looked here on RadioReference for frequencies near me, and programmed some of those into the scanner.

I live in Washington County, Missouri. When I get the scanner scanning, I hear sheriff, fire, and EMS dispatchers in Jefferson, St. Francois, and Franklin counties. I hear a couple of Civil Air channels, and occasional CB users. But I get nothing from Washington County services. I programmed 15 of the Wash-Co frequencies listed here. I didn't use any that are shown as digital, only "FMN'.

Any idea what's going on here? I'd appreciate your comments. Thanks.

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
There was another thread on here that mentioned a move back to Moswin, which is the statewide P25 system. I would program that in.

Looking through the database, looks like the VHF site, Shirley (3.13). Wasn't there also a 700 Mhz site that covered Washington County also? I can't find it in the database.

Have family down there, hence the interest.

joepainter

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply. It just happens that, before I got back to this site, I began to hear talk on one of the frequencies I programmed in for Washington County! It's alive!

I looked at the MOSWIN page, and found the line with "Shirley" and "3.13" you mentioned. I put in those frequencies, and there was activity on a couple of them. But no voices, only a low, gravelly noise. I'm curious -- are there any PL or other codes associated with those frequencies?

It occurs to me that maybe these signals are digital! If that's the case, I won't be hearing them any time soon. This scanner is analog only (am, fm, fmn) and it will be some time before I can even think about buying a digital scanner.

Re: 700 mhz, that's higher than this scanner goes. The limit is 512 mhz.

Thanks

Last edited:

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
Yep, not going to receive LEO with an analog scanner. Maybe fire toneouts, public works, etc. My bad, I missed what model scanner you're using. Not going to receive much with it. Most in county is digital.

joepainter

Premium Subscriber
Well it's ok. At least I know what I'm dealing with. It's not bad hearing from our neighboring counties. We're actually pretty close to Jefferson County. And a little farther in another direction gets us to St. Francois Co. So, in other words, events just across those boundary lines can still affect us. And as I venture out to less familiar places, I'll be playing with the "close call" feature, as the scanner detects nearby signals.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
Being in a somewhat rural area there is still a lot to listen to on the old VHF stuff. Look around the database and keep playing. You will start hearing things. Have fun.