Not scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jfuller96

Can anyone explain why canton IL police department won’t come through on my scanner?

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Hi & welcome to the RR forums!
Numerous possibilities here. Can you elaborate on "won't come through"? Perhaps provide a video clip of what your scanner is or isn't doing? For starters you never specified what scanner you are using, this info would be quite helpful for us to help you. If using a Uniden scanner you'll want to make sure the "Law Dispatch" service type is enabled. Are you able to hear non-Canton police traffic (anything else) on the system? I'm seeing numerous simulcast cells on that system but looks like none of them are in Fulton County, so I can't rule out for sure if simulcast distortion could be a factor. Feel free to let us know what site(s) you are monitoring if you can. Let us know

Jfuller96

Hi & welcome to the RR forums!
Numerous possibilities here. Can you elaborate on "won't come through"? Perhaps provide a video clip of what your scanner is or isn't doing? For starters you never specified what scanner you are using, this info would be quite helpful for us to help you. If using a Uniden scanner you'll want to make sure the "Law Dispatch" service type is enabled. Are you able to hear non-Canton police traffic (anything else) on the system? I'm seeing numerous simulcast cells on that system but looks like none of them are in Fulton County, so I can't rule out for sure if simulcast distortion could be a factor. Feel free to let us know what site(s) you are monitoring if you can. Let us know
It is uniden BC125AT, so I have canton police programmed in. All of the other stuff programmed in for Fulton county comes in and I can hear. Canton Police dep is quite and I can’t hear anything.

Jfuller96

So on the scanner is I have VHF low and high then Civ air and MIL air. Because there is no way I can afford a new radio. Well any of those other Civ air or Mil air work

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
JFuller, All of those listed will work for Civil and MilAir. I can tell you I use the 325P2 for both monitoring Starcom and listening to traffic in and out of O'Hare and Midway. It works quite well for that. It's physically almost identical to the 125 you have. I might suggest combing through Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace for anyone local who might have one of these scanners for sale. Make sure whatever scanner you look at can scan P25 Phase 1 and Phase 2 systems. If you are confused at all, ask here for guidance. I was lucky enough to stumble on a well used 325P2 on Craigslist for $60.00. The guy said it was too complicated and just wanted to get rid of it. I made sure before I left that I could hand program in some frequencies so I could test it. It wasn't perfect but it worked and I was happy. Just make sure you know what you are looking at.

Status
Not open for further replies.