• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Not So New Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobybul

Hi y'all. Just signed up. Sounds like many people are in the same boat. Getting back to CB. Haven't been since 80s. Used to have a Cobra 19 that after sitting around for 30+ years decided not to operate. Used to be paired with a K40 antenna. So now I'm in the market to use while traveling for road conditions, traffic and weather and would appreciate suggestions. Having been away for 40+ years I've been scouring the internet to research. Looks like mostly same brands (Cobra, Uniden, Midland) and a few new ones (President, Galaxy, Stryker) . I first started looking at units with ssb but decided against it since I'm sensing not much chatter there. But I want a unit that I won't have to upgrade again. After looking at reviews of various brands, I'm thinking about a President Johnson II paired with a magnet mount whip since it's for my car. I'm not a trucker. Might get an swr meter for more accurate calibration. Haven't quite decided on the antenna yet. I know there are many less expensive options out there but like I said I don't really want to upgrade again. This President CB (or similar) probably has more than what I need.

Anyway, this is what I am initially thinking. Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Oh, and also suggestions on where to purchase. Other than Amazon, I see online places like RightChannel and CBWorld. I'm somewhat partial to Amazon bc they have excellent customer service, are so easy to deal with especially on returns. I'm always leery about getting stuff from unfamiliar stores bc I have no history on their support and customer service. But open to suggestions.

Last edited:

DaveJacobsen

If your option is a more expensive radio & no swr meter or a cheaper one and a; swr meter... You do yourself a disservice by skipping the meter. A tuned antenna will do a lot for your ability to transmit and be heard. Just remember to put the antenna in the same place every time.
I would also get a radio with ssb, because you never know... I have a few higher end radios as well as the uniden 988.the 988 performs admirably.

The longer whip you can mount, the better.

Having said that, nothing wrong with your choice,aside from skipping an swr meter.

tobybul

The President Johnson II actually has a built-in swr meter. But i do plan on getting an swr meter. Btw, any recommendations on magnetic antenna?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
The President Johnson II actually has a built-in swr meter. But i do plan on getting an swr meter. Btw, any recommendations on magnetic antenna?
Find then antenna you want, then find the mount to match it. The Larsen NMO27 seems to be popular with many people. (Use a two-piece system is my suggestion, so if/when the time comes that you want to make it a permanent mount, you just need to get the mount installed.)

As a secondary suggestion, do not consider a mag mount for permanent use. They damage paint, can be difficult to get the cable get the cable to the interior, and ate fairly easy to knock off the vehicle.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Get the separate SWR meter. The ones internal to the radio are known to be inaccurate.

I don't use CB much anymore, but I do occasionally on long trips. My go to antenna for 30+ years now has been the same Larsen NMO-27 that I bought back then. Larsen makes professional antennas and is very well respected in the professional two way radio industry. There is nothing magical about antennas, and no manufacturer has a secret sauce that can change the laws of physics. Get a good name brand and tune it correctly.

Also, since some newer vehicles have aluminum bodies, make sure you are aware what your car is made of. No point buying a magnetic mount antenna if it's not going to stick.

Things I've learned in the last 30 yeas working in the industry:
Always get your power for the radio directly from the vehicle battery. Do not tap into existing wiring or use cigarette lighter plugs. This makes a big difference in interference/noise.

Antennas make or break your system. Don't spend a lot of money on the radio and then cheap out on the antenna.

A proper ground plane under the antenna is necessary. That means mounting the antenna on the roof of the vehicle and dead center of the roof.

Tune your antenna if you want it to work well.

Don't be surprised if you don't hear much local traffic on the CB. Conditions vary quite a bit by location. What was common back in the 70's, 80's and early 90's isn's so much anymore. I've done long road trips and heard very little traffic on the CB. There are some pockets of heavy use, though. Just depends on your location.

tobybul

Thanks. I'll look at the Larsen. I am using this on my car - Volvo wagon. But want to be able to transfer it my other cars in case I will use them for.long distance. Initially, i was looking at the Wilson Lil Will or the K40 K30. According to reviews the do well as mag mount.

Dwitherspoon

If you’re spending the money on a CB it’s well worth it to buy one with SSB. The resale value alone makes it worth while, plus you get an extra 80 channels at 12 watts, instead of 4. I would do the galaxy dx 949. It has everything. It’s a one stop shop. I’ve had it for years and it still chugs along.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
With Solar Cycle 25 starting, the next 5-7 years CB will be practically useless during the day unless you want to talk skip. For local communications, the distance will be less than 2 miles.

FiveFilter

I use a CB strictly for road information. The CB shortwave radio has been valuable to me through the years getting information about serious traffic problems and dangerous situations. It can and has saved a lot of time and aggravation by being informed of what is going on in traffic jams due to wrecks or whatever, in time to consider alternate routes.

So, my usage does not include the need for single sideband capability, as highway information is almost exclusively rendered on truckers' channel 19. As such, I use the simple-to-operate basic model CB radios that cost around 50 bucks each, like the Midland 1001z, Cobra 19 DX IV and the Uniden 520XL. All of them are simple to operate and provide the full 40-channel at 4-Watt AM service the regs specify.

As said above, be sure to also get a $25 SWR meter get your antenna tuned for the car you will place it on. The antenna's SWR should be tuned to 1.5:1 or better, and then checked occasionally to make sure the rig is still operating to spec.

Then, get the longest antenna you can stand on your car. The longer it is, the farther it will reach listening and talking. Depending on the car and circumstances, I like and use these magnetic antennas on my vehicles:

Wilson Lil Wil or K30, both around 35 inches
Wilson 500 at 56 inches
Wilson 1000 at 62 inches

Then, there's the Sirio 5000 at a tall 79 inches. Although it's the top performer, it's just a bit too long for my situations.

When the radio frequency noise is bad and I need to communicate, I also have an RM KL 203P amplifier that adds about 40 Watts to my ability to participate at a cost of around 75 bucks.

I've never had a magnet mount antenna come off my vehicle at Interstate highway speeds or gale-force winds. They are quite capable of handling anything short of tree limbs that are hit at speed close to the roof.

I take off the antennas when not on the road because I don't use them anywhere else. That's the beauty of mag mounts: they are easily removed, yet they perform as well as any antenna out there inch-for-inch, and they don't require a hole in the roof :)

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
If you’re spending the money on a CB it’s well worth it to buy one with SSB. The resale value alone makes it worth while, plus you get an extra 80 channels at 12 watts, instead of 4. I would do the galaxy dx 949. It has everything. It’s a one stop shop. I’ve had it for years and it still chugs along.

Well...not quite. It's still 40 channels, you have sideband on those 40 channels. And the 12W is only on SSB. AM is still 4W.

slowmover

Bells CB shop
Bobs CB shop
Clays CB shop
Walcott Radio

All very good to deal with

SSB-capable a reasonable minimum. Doesn’t matter whether used today. Tomorrow you may wish to try it. (President McKinley).

President ALABAMA antenna and one of their radios increases warranty on one or both last I knew. (Walcott Radio)

Take your time and read around. The general install (power & antenna systems) is what matters. What you plug into those, not so much.

Willingness to be painstaking (RF bonds, for example) is what separates pedestrian from “professional”.

tobybul

My initial set up right now is the Johnson II with Lil Will. Tried tuning it last night. At Ch 1 it was 1.1, at 20 = 2.5, at 40 = 3.5. This was at lowest antenna position. Readings get worse if I raise antenna. Looks like I'll need to shorten it.

Someone is selling a new Tram 300 locally for $20. Thought I'd check it out and see if it works better.

tobybul

Update: The best I could do with Lil Wil was 40 = 2.5, 1 = 1.5, 20 = 1.1 after trimming 3/8" at 1/8" increments. I picked up the Tram and it tuned very well. Did not have to cut.

slowmover

Update: The best I could do with Lil Wil was 40 = 2.5, 1 = 1.5, 20 = 1.1 after trimming 3/8" at 1/8" increments. I picked up the Tram and it tuned very well. Did not have to cut.

Low SWR means the radio won’t overheat and smoke. That’s about it, as, in terms of actual performance, low SWR doesn’t reveal anything.

The Tram is a tiny antenna. Size matters.

I think the radio a nice choice. What it can or can’t do is hindered by a low quality and too-small antenna.

Forgotten by many is that too many other radio rigs are also low-performing. And it’s the antenna system which might have changed this.

I pulled up in front of home listening to one side of a radio conversation on AM-19. Traffic on the Interstate was the subject — though I didn’t know which road number — until he mentioned his location per a landmark. That’s over nineteen (19) air miles from where I was sitting.

Gee, no wonder I didn’t hear the others. I hollered at him and he replied (I’d just come thru there).

Being heard is half the equation. The lesser half.

WB9YBM

Low SWR means the radio won’t overheat and smoke.

Well, it's a contributing factor, yes, but not the whole picture. With small heat sinks--especially on smaller radios--they'll still over-heat, especially when operated high power by a rag-chewer. Having it sit in a hot car during the summer (before the a/c cools everything) doesn't help, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.