Nothing received until analyze mode entered & exited?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phask

Premium Subscriber
I'd bet it's just a low signal strength issue. Maybe analyze just sits on the CC longer.

I left one of these all day today, just to see if with enough time sitting and spinning if it would do anything, and it still didn't pick up the A through D entries until I got home and entered analyze mode. Nothing was recorded all day though there was activity on the system.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Sorry - think I was thinking of your fire station issue. Maybe too much signal or.... any cell towers close?

I have 3 HP1/2 it's amazing to watch some of the signal.interference, drop outs etc. in real time. I don;t think the x series have all that yet even with siren.

Definitely not a signal strength issue.

Tower is just a hair over 2 miles from the scanner:

https://www.mapdevelopers.com/dista...nia Road Livonia NY&to=Jakman Hill Livonia NY

With a yagi outdoors on a tower pointed right at it.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Sorry - think I was thinking of your fire station issue. Maybe too much signal or.... any cell towers close?

It's the same simulcast multi-path issue that all of these consumer scanners deal with. This has been covered ad naseum.

hfd26

my band plan showing the 851.xxx freq in the number 1 slot. how come mine shows that and no one else(just curious) and how come the freq are duplicated? i dont see duplication's from other systems with simulcast?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
If you're seeing 851.xxx in Slot 1, it's a decoding error.

The VHF entries look like duplicates in a scanner, but they're really not. They look different on the system and the APX radios, but the scanner does not show all of the parameters. In particular, it doesn't show the fact that 6-9 are the FDMA entries, and A-D are the TDMA entries.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Just to avoid confusion, note that the Uniden scanner displays the band plan entry Channel ID's 10 through 13 in hexadecimal format (A through D).

Also note that Unitrunker shows the Slots: 1 for FDMA, 2 for TDMA. The scanner does not show that info, which is why it appears that A-D are duplicates of 6-9, when in fact they are unique.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Please make a log file while monitoring the system (in bad mode), zip up the log, then attach it to a post.

To make a log file:
1) Power up while holding AVOID.
2) MENU --> SETTINGS --> Set Debug Log Mode --> SD Card File
3) Monitor for a bit (a minute or two is plenty).
4) MENU --> SETTINGS --> Set Debug Log Mode --> Off
5) File is in the debug directory on the SD card.

N0BDW

UPMan,

Thanks for your attention on this issue. I've attached 3 files:

CON-ANT2-logs.zip - contains diagnostics from both before and after analyze has been run. This scanner does not normally monitor the system (but I made it for the test) because it is on an omni antenna, and a directional antenna seems to help immensely with the LSM decoding.

LAW-ANT1-log0020138.zip - diagnostics from the scanner that normally listens to law TGs and does an ID search on the system. No analyze was run during the diagnostics so it was in "bad mode" the entire time.

FIRE-ANT1-log0028406.zip - same as the LAW one (and shares a directional antenna with it) but this one normally listens to fire TGs.

I hope this helps in tracking down the issue. I'd be happy to provide any other assistance that I can. I do have a radio on this system so I can key up to generate activity if needed... there was no activity while running the tests.

Attachments

• CON-ANT2-logs.zip
    9.1 KB · Views: 23
  • LAW-ANT1-log0020138.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 22
  • FIRE-ANT1-log0028406.zip
    2.3 KB · Views: 15

JimDiesel

N0BDW,

I am 5-10 miles from you and am experiencing the same issue.
When I listen, I Hold it on the LE Dispatch - Primary channel.
My observation is that after power up, and the analyze dance has been performed, if I turn down the audio all the way to 0, and observe the screen activity, it's exactly the same as if I powered up and didn't do the analyze. My hunch is it has something to do with NAC. The radio seems to behave exactly the same, but if you don't do the analyze...no audio.
I've noticed in Sentinel that there is no way to configure the NAC on the site, yet NAC is being used according to RR...
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?siteId=28734
...and is observed when performing the analyze.
It's like it determines the NAC during analyze, which allows it to work post-analyze, but that parameter is not saved and therefore after power cycle an analyze is required to get it to work again.
If I could set NAC in Sentinel, and the firmware would set NAC according to Sentinel, I could prove my hunch.

Jim

Last edited:

N0BDW

It did not. My understanding is that it wasn't intended to. I believe it just enables some extra logging so that Uniden can try and get a better idea of why this is happening, to hopefully fix in a future firmware release.

Status
Not open for further replies.