Nw Il Sw Wi

Status
Not open for further replies.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Nasty weather live and in person...

Watches and Warnings and All that Jazzz

Spotter confirmed golfball size hail and 70MPH winds...

Tie 'er down and hold on!

Here we go!!!!!

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
I didn't have to go far to see the tornado damage. Before hitting Hugo, that same storm dropped a tornado that started in Coon Rapids and came right through my neighborhood here in Blaine, but it wasn't nearly as bad as over in Hugo. There are many trees down and many houses with roof and siding damage and some windows and garage doors blown out. Quite a few houses and vehicles also have damage from trees falling on them. Fortunately, the tornado missed our house by about a block. We didn't really have any damage other than some lawn furniture blown around and the cover for our compost bin is missing. We were out of town for the weekend so we came home early last night to make sure everything was OK.

Of course, that's just my luck....a tornado comes within a block of home and I'm not around to be out spotting :lol:

Last edited:

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
I live in Hugo, and this tornado pretty much went through my backyard. Our house was comparatively undamaged. We just had some siding damage and our patio furniture and grill blew away. We were able to recover both minus the lid for the grill. but the grill was banged up enough that we had to get rid of it. There were houses close enough that i could throw a baseball at that has significant damage and i can see houses that were completely destroyed from my back door. We had pert of someones roof truss on our patio and there was debris all over the marsh behind our house. We have been under mandatory evacuations for the past two days. Neither my wife or I were home at the time. I was at an event in white bear township and left that after the fire department made us leave because of the advancing storms. I was hearing spotter reports of wall clouds up towards home and started heading that way. I think i got home just a few minutes after the storm went through because there were no emergency personnel on scene when i got there. I called the damage in to skywarn. Then about 15 minutes later we got hit with golfball sized hail, which i also called in. I walked around the neighborhood talking to neighbors after the storm and took a few pictures.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wogggieee/sets/72157605270122787/
The little boy who was sadly killed was just a few blocks away and when i was out walking i was actually quite close to that area. Thats really a sad story for that family.

For those of you listening to your scanners at the time I'd be interested to know what you heard and what talk groups and conventional stuff they were using. I had my scanner on when i was walking around but i wasn't paying real close attention to it. I did hear operations on statewide fire and a lot of traffic on the Washington county fire main.

On another note, i have to say that i have never seen so many emergency personnel from so many different agencies in one place in my life. They literally came from everywhere to help. It was truly an amazing response.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Luckily for us it was pretty much a non-event when the storms got here. Some heavy rain, nice lightning storm.. When I posted the original message it looked as if the storms were building as they moved closer.

As they moved east past Freeport IL they weakened and pretty much petered out. Freeport had spotter reports of golfball sized hail, and Rockford had street flooding.. And a church here in town took a direct hit to their steeple from lightning..

Once again we got lucky. Those who weren't so lucky are in our thoughts.

Glad to hear you and the missus are OK Matt...

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
n9mxq said:
Glad to hear you and the missus are OK Matt...

Thanks, we were very lucky. We really only suffered a minor inconvenience of having to stay at my moms for a couple nights. I saw the damage in the hardest hit areas yesterday a few blocks from here and the damage is really horrific. We were very lucky to get through relatively uneffected. They're going to be busing in volunteers Saturday to help in the debris removal. We got three cases of bottled water from the fire department last night that had been donated. I think we're going to go around with that on Saturday and hand it out to the volunteers. The response from the officials and the community has been absolutely amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.