• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NX-5000 series DMR question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radioman_911

911 Dispatch & Ham Radio guy!
Premium Subscriber
Do the NX-5000 series radios offer digital monitor mode? If so, single or dual slot?

Also, am I missing an area in the software to have receive lists?

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
RX list?
under DMR, group list, there is a box called GID SCAN, this is the ad=hoc thing as RX LIST 1 (and all the groups in that list) <mother M thing>

Digital monitor? Not like a scanner, so I don't think this is what you looking for,.

Radioman_911

Premium Subscriber
RX list?
under DMR, group list, there is a box called GID SCAN, this is the ad=hoc thing as RX LIST 1 (and all the groups in that list) <mother M thing>

Digital monitor? Not like a scanner, so I don't think this is what you looking for,.

It’s not a scanner thing. On most DMR radios there is a digital monitor mode that will monitor activity on one or both time slots. Motorola radios do NOT offer this (M Radios can only do this via receive lists (same TS) and scan lists (to monitor opposite TS activity))

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
It’s not a scanner thing. On most DMR radios there is a digital monitor mode that will monitor activity on one or both time slots.

Only DMR radios specifically marketed to hammy folks do ‘digital monitor’

‘Real’ radios, specifically marketed to the LMR industry won’t do ‘promiscuous’ monitoring because it serves no useful purpose to LMR end users. About the only folks(besides hams and scanner folk) that MIGHT benefit from it, is going to be system techs.

If you legitimately need a Part90 radio, with a promiscuous mode look at the CSI CS-800D.

Radioman_911

Premium Subscriber
Only DMR radios specifically marketed to hammy folks do ‘digital monitor’

‘Real’ radios, specifically marketed to the LMR industry won’t do ‘promiscuous’ monitoring because it serves no useful purpose to LMR end users. About the only folks(besides hams and scanner folk) that MIGHT benefit from it, is going to be system techs.

If you legitimately need a Part90 radio, with a promiscuous mode look at the CSI CS-800D.

I am aware about the differences between “real radios” and those specifically designed for DMR on amateur radio or “hammy folks”. While appreciate your feedback, please remember that this is an in general Kenwood Forum, regardless of how the radio is being utilized. Some are just trying to get some information.

For what it’s worth, my NX-5700 Is utilized for commercial/public safety in analog and NXDN modes, the DMR will be for amateur use. So the 5700 is a fine radio for me, just trying to learn the kenwood programming for DMR as I have only had CS and Motorola for DMR usage.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
The answer to your question is no. The rest of his answer applies, as well - I think he was trying to explain that it isn't needed in commercial/PS/LMR radios so they don't include it. As a ham myself, that is something that is marketed toward hams in the radios designed for hams. That's why these and /\/\ radios don't have it. That's not to say it wouldn't ever be handy in them in some situations, but typically they don't need it as they are locked on a specific channel and not monitoring for anything.

otobmark

Premium Subscriber
I do this all the time! The poor man trunk feature where you use auto selection for TS. Lets you look at both time slots for a specific talk group or if you check scan all GID box then it will stop and play any TG in the list associated with personality on whatever TS if finds it. I even pair that with mixed mode so as admin I can hear whatever is on repeater including analog ID.

intermod

RX list?

Came across this - sounds similar to kd4efm's note but more detailed from VA7TD:

Kenwood NX-5000 Series multi-mode digital mobiles - CQCQ.ca - Canadian Amateur Radio forum Canada - Canadian Ham Radio forum Canada (yea, cross-posted but credited source...)

"You can enable "promiscuous mode" for DMR monitoring:

Under DMR - Group ID List, create a new talk group. Under ID, enter "ALL". Name the talk group something descriptive, such as "ALL CALL".

In your DMR system, create a new Personality. Set the Slot to "Auto". Under DMR - Selcall on PTT, select "Group Call". Enter the new ID List Number that you just created above. The ID will auto-populate to "ALL" and the ID Name will auto-populate to "ALL CALL" or whatever you called it. Check the Group ID Scan box. Uncheck the Dual Scan Direct Mode box if it's checked.

Add the new Personality to the Zone where you want it to appear."

This suggests that radio accepts the text "ALL" to allow decoding of any possible DMR talkgroup...or is it just limited to those in the Group List or even created in the radio?

Still, as KD4EFM noted, it is unlikely to display Slot, TG and CC like pure promiscuous mode.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.