NYPD Dispatchers- OY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

howitzer

OK, how in the heck do the NYPD dispatchers get their jobs? Anyone listening to the 6th and 9th precincts in Manhattan today? This particular female dispatcher is the worst!!! Thick Asian accent and she is barely intelligable. I can hear the disdain in the units voices when they call in.

Spec

Premium Subscriber
We are a kinder and gentler society in NY. Be able to speak and be understood is not required. The NYSP for many years had wonderful dispatchers too. Now they too are falling to the special interest groups. Remember when you dial 911 wait and they will tell you what button to push for what language. :)

crashcrew

Premium Subscriber
That's why I can't listen to NYPD for more than 5 minutes, then my head explodes. The best I ever heard was a dispatcher who pronounced Massachusetts Ave on Staten Island as MUH-SAT-CHEW-SETS. I've heard Brabant Street pronounced Barbant or Brabrant etc etc. Can't make this s**t up.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I was a dispatcher back in the dark days of NYC...1980-1983. There were more than a few dispatchers and 911 operators who were no fans of police officers. That didn't make the job any easier for the rest of us.
I've listened to NYPD radio recently, and it made me sick to hear some of the dispatchers. That more cops haven't gotten hurt...

Analogrules

They rather hire foreigners and immigrants rather than Americans! Shows you where this country is going.

SCANdal

Silent Key
You get what you pay for

crashcrew said:
The best I ever heard was a dispatcher who pronounced Massachusetts Ave on Staten Island as MUH-SAT-CHEW-SETS. I've heard Brabant Street pronounced Barbant or Brabrant etc
crash,

My personal favorites:

Lenox Avenue as "Len Ox"

Isham Street as "Ish Ham"

Utica Avenue as "U Tee Kaa"

SCANdal

vsny

This is a classic case of English as a second language..A.K.A. ghetto -speak,regardless of ethnicity.
Another unknown fact is that Commissioner Kelly has various PO's visit Metrotech Center, to observe the Communication Bureau in action, so the street level PO can associate a "face" to a "voice" not that it makes this situation any better when "central" says 53rd Road when they in fact mean 53rd Ave.
I've stated this in a previous post (sorry for the repeat) but I do remember a time when you would hear one male dispatcher start every tour, with a prayer for every officers safety on that tour...bet that would not be allowed now as it's not P/C....."arrive alive"

Last edited:

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
The Police Tapes aired back in the seventies, when the South Bronx was really burning. It was an excellent documentary of the 44...and it portrayed the days when the NYPD was THE POLICE.

ChrisMorrison

Probably the foreigners should have been kept out long ago.

Starting with the potato famine.

Then you guys wouldn't have to complain about furrin accents.

vsny

ChrisMorrison said:
Probably the foreigners should have been kept out long ago.

Starting with the potato famine.

Then you guys wouldn't have to complain about furrin accents.

No Chris, when my relatives entered this country legally many,many decades ago, they had to learn to read, and write in English AND SPEAK English without an accent, just to find and keep their jobs.

Last edited:

Spec

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys I really don't think it was the OP's intention to discuss the merits of immigration, legal or illegal. I have my own strong opinion about that as I'm sure you do. Please lets keep it radio oriented and not political. We all will get plenty of that BS in the coming year.

vsny

Spec said:
Hey guys I really don't think it was the OP's intention to discuss the merits of immigration, legal or illegal. I have my own strong opinion about that as I'm sure you do. Please lets keep it radio oriented and not political. We all will get plenty of that BS in the coming year.

OK, point made, You are correct --no more politics !!
Ever notice how many dispatchers are changed during a hot job??
On a recent over the air 10-13 in Queens, I think "central" was changed every 2 minutes or so...is this policy ??

Last edited:

sc800

I really can't answer for NYC, but I know in my area of NY, the rotation is because dispatchers operate on a 'next available associate' type plan, say for instance a call gets polled of a man with a gun by dispatcher 1. While waiting for an answer another officer calls in, and is answered by 1. A unit answering the poll calls in while 1 is on the radio so 2 answers, 1 gets off the radio with the other unit and then begins answering units going to the poll.

Not sure if this is the same situation

Not just NYC and not just recently. 20-something years ago, in a big city across the river, before dispatching became its own profession, most of the EMTs had to dispatch from time to time. One big Jamaican guy - a really fantastic EMT, just with a thick accent - put out a call: "woman bleeding from the v... ." The guys who were taking the call couldn't make out the word. He had to repeat with, "She's bleeding from the p... , mon!"

SCANdal

Silent Key
Some who lack "confidence" get pushed out of the way to prevent something going wrong

vsny said:
Ever notice how many dispatchers are changed during a hot job??
On a recent over the air 10-13 in Queens, I think "central" was changed every 2 minutes or so...is this policy ??
vsny,

What was the relative level of competance of the dispatcher prior to the "hot" job coming over?

sc8 said:
I really can't answer for NYC, but I know in my area of NY, the rotation is because dispatchers operate on a 'next available associate' type plan, say for instance a call gets polled of a man with a gun by dispatcher 1. While waiting for an answer another officer calls in, and is answered by 1. A unit answering the poll calls in while 1 is on the radio so 2 answers, 1 gets off the radio with the other unit and then begins answering units going to the poll.

Not sure if this is the same situation
sc8,

Not quite. There is only one dispatcher sitting behind the mic of each channel with a dispatcher. Others may be around to assist with the telephones and the running of messages - but only one is on the air (unless he or she gets pushed aside, see above).

SCANdal

Last edited:

vsny

Quote: "What was the relative level of competence of the dispatcher prior to the "hot" job coming over?"
IMHO--they all were doing a good job in a high pressure situation considering it was an officer struck by a hit & run driver.

howitzer said:
OK, how in the heck do the NYPD dispatchers get their jobs? Anyone listening to the 6th and 9th precincts in Manhattan today? This particular female dispatcher is the worst!!! Thick Asian accent and she is barely intelligable. I can hear the disdain in the units voices when they call in.

Ohh no, not her! She's the worst, I've heard her on the 63-69 division some time ago. I remember hearing an 85 in housing & she started talking jibberish. Her supervisor yanked her from the mic in no time & an English-speaking Central came over the air & finished up the job strong. I remember the first time I heard her on the air, everyone used to make fun of her accent (maybe they still do, haven't heard of her again). And she's soooo slooooww giving out jobs. Like:

Respond to 10-52 Fam-i-ly Dispute, Thirteen Eighty Two errr.. Remsen Av-en-ue (repeats), J, John Av-en-ue, K, King Av-en-ue cross. Err, check & advise? Everybody just steps over her transmissions & says "check & advise". When she transmits mobilizations, forget it! Everybody beeps their portables to shut her up. Sad...She's gonna get somebody hurt out there....

Status
Not open for further replies.