NYSDOT Help Trucks

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
@seagravebuff60 Thanks, that gave me some motivation to actually do something with these IDs I've been hoarding, and they're now in the Wiki. I'll let you handle the HELP truck IDs as you see fit (i.e. putting them in the table, linking to the HELP truck page, whatever).

As a side note, it might be helpful to put on the HELP truck page where they get their truck numbers from (if it's anything other than just sequential assignment), and which are assigned to Westchester County versus the rest of the Valley (if it is, indeed, assigned).
Ok, No Problem.
After Listening to the R8 HELP trucks for years now (On Both systems), I honestly don't understand their numbering; it seems like they pull a truck number out of their ass one day and assign it randomly lol. Sometimes the Truck Number doesn't align with their assigned beat. I will do some more listening and update the wiki accordingly

Homer_LCPDFR

Premium Subscriber
@seagravebuff60 Other regions (speaking for Rochester, but I believe Albany as well) have it so the trucks are take-home vehicles, and units cover whichever beat is needed. Rochester has units sign on with, for example, "Truck 402 in service, Beat 3." Of course, back when the trucks were in the 100 series, the beats were also in the 100 series so you'd have Truck 103 on Beat 104--not sure why they thought that was a good idea.

I would imagine this method of beat coverage is the same in the Hudson Valley (especially seeing as there's no trucks in the 60 series that I've found, thus, theoretically, no units to cover Beat 6). The only thing I don't get is why each series (10, 20, etc.) rolls over into letters. Why not just keep going into the 60s, 70s, and 80s? Those numbers must mean something. What is beyond me though.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
I'm going to monitor 1231 tomorrow and see if they have a primary dispatch there and use 2421 when the Sheriff's Dept is the one requesting them.
What did you see?

I was logging Radio IDs using ProScan last Friday and none of the IDs that I saw on 1231 showed up on 2421 or the admin TGs.

Got distracted today and forgot to watch ... I'll try to do so again tomorrow.

I can only go by what I've heard personally. Once in a while I've heard a deputy (or other LE unit) ask their dispatcher if "there are any HELP trucks on" and the answer is usually no. :) I've never heard the dispatcher talk to one of them.

I *have* once in a while heard one of the help trucks come up on the Sheriff's admin channel ... but not on the primary.

mc48

Premium Subscriber
I did see that the truck numbers have changed from 100's to 400's and apparently the primary dispatch is on 1231.
There was one request by a Deputy yesterday, but none were available, the admin dispatcher made the request over landline.

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
Anyone know where units on Lig Island operate? They did have a TG on OneVoice, but I'm wondering if they still operate on OneVoice or somewhere else

Alarms50

For the Region 8 HELP Trucks I found this web link that displays the "Beats" that the Trucks are assigned Region 8 HELP Beats .

From Parkways in NY - Wiki , here are the assigned State Roadway numbers for Parkways in Region 8 (which correspond to the numbers on the HELP Beat map)

NY987H - Bear Mountain Parkway
NY907H - Bronx River Parkway
NY907K - Cross County Parkway
NY907W - Hutchinson River Parkway
NY987C - Palisades Interstate Parkway
NY987D - Saw Mill River Parkway
NY987F - Sprain Brook Parkway
NY987G - Taconic State Parkway.

The above Parkways in NY - Wiki link has links to pages to each Parkway in New York, interesting information there.

Alarms50

I didn't mention (wasn't able to edit the previous post) that looking at the HELP Beat map mentioned above, the first digit of the individual HELP Truck corresponds to the "Beat" that that truck is assigned to (i.e. Truck 12 is assigned to a portion of "Beat" 1).

Homer_LCPDFR

Premium Subscriber
@Alarms50 I don't doubt you, but what about Beat 6? I can't seem to find (or hear) any trucks numbered in the 60 series. Was it eliminated? Is it covered by trucks from other beats?

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
That's some good detective work there, good job.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know where units on Lig Island operate? They did have a TG on OneVoice, but I'm wondering if they still operate on OneVoice or somewhere else
Long Island as you know is Nassau and Suffolk counties. I have heard Suffolk cops asking dispatch to get help truck to certain disabled motorists. Same with the state. I have never heard one on Suffolks system or Troop L freqs. There are a few unknown tg's on Onevoice but nothing sounding like them, which would be referencing parkway and expressway locations. And to be honest, I still have not been able to locate any antennas on the trucks here on the Island. Next time I see one at 7 11 Im going to get up close.

Alarms50

@Alarms50 I don't doubt you, but what about Beat 6? I can't seem to find (or hear) any trucks numbered in the 60 series. Was it eliminated? Is it covered by trucks from other beats?
The 60 series Trucks cover NY9A, US9 and Bear Mountain Parkway, roads that are not "high speed" parkway's so there will not be that much activity. Last I knew all trucks had computers in them for dispatch capabilities. I will be able to provide more information when I get back from vacation next weekend.

BusDriverDave

Premium Subscriber
Hey All,

Recently, ive had an interest in monitoring the HELP Trucks Locally in my Region. That got me wondering where the HELP Truck in other NYS Regions operate.
I Have a list of where they possibly operate, I know of some but don't know the others.
  • NYSDOT Region 1 - Albany (Capital District)
    • I think they operate on the Albany/Schenectady County P25 System ???
  • NYSDOT Region 3 - Syracuse
  • NYSDOT Region 4 - Rochester
  • NYSDOT Region 5 - Buffalo
  • NYSDOT Region 8 - Hudson Valley
    • Operate on the OneVoice DMR System
  • NYSDOT Region 10 - Long Island
    • I think they operate alongside NYSDOT on their Lowband Frequencies ???
    • I think they also operate on the NYSP Troop L Parkways frequency ???
    • They used to have a talkgroup on the OneVoice DMR System a few years ago
  • NYSDOT Region 11 - New York City
What I'm looking for is for members statewide to possibly chime in and identify where their region operates. Im in the process of editing the local wiki pages with new and updated info and would appreciate the insight from other members. Thanks
The HELP Trucks in the Buffalo area have no antennas on the trucks. I never looked inside to see if they have radios, but I doubt it.

IC518

Hey All,

Recently, ive had an interest in monitoring the HELP Trucks Locally in my Region. That got me wondering where the HELP Truck in other NYS Regions operate.
I Have a list of where they possibly operate, I know of some but don't know the others.
  • NYSDOT Region 1 - Albany (Capital District)
    • I think they operate on the Albany/Schenectady County P25 System ???
  • NYSDOT Region 3 - Syracuse
  • NYSDOT Region 4 - Rochester
  • NYSDOT Region 5 - Buffalo
  • NYSDOT Region 8 - Hudson Valley
    • Operate on the OneVoice DMR System
  • NYSDOT Region 10 - Long Island
    • I think they operate alongside NYSDOT on their Lowband Frequencies ???
    • I think they also operate on the NYSP Troop L Parkways frequency ???
    • They used to have a talkgroup on the OneVoice DMR System a few years ago
  • NYSDOT Region 11 - New York City
What I'm looking for is for members statewide to possibly chime in and identify where their region operates. Im in the process of editing the local wiki pages with new and updated info and would appreciate the insight from other members. Thanks
I am in the Albany Region and the HELP trucks are definitely on the P25 and quite active

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
I am in the Albany Region and the HELP trucks are definitely on the P25 and quite active
Thank you! Was listening yesterday and herd one of the help trucks call "TMC", i thought i was in westchester lol.

Im assuming TMC in albany is NYSP troop G Headquarters?

k2hz

Database Admin
For the Rochester area it is "RTOC" Regional Traffic Operations Center which is a joint facility for NYSDOT, Monroe County DOT and NYSP Troop E Zone 1.