NYSP Radio System Function

Status
Not open for further replies.

notsurewhatdo

Premium Subscriber
I'm a PO in Tioga County and my car and portable have the Troop C Base to Car and Car to Base freqs programmed in.

I did some reading here and see that their system is not repeated? My question is:

Can Troopers only hear each other directly? (Can Troopers only hear a transmission from another Trooper on the Car to Base channel? Can two troopers out of mobile range of each other communicate through a repeater?)

Also, what signaling do the Troopers use? I hear the data burst at the end of their transmissions and it sounds significantly different then MDC1200. Through the magic of a little more Google-ing, I figured out that NYSP has GE-Star or G-Star or some variant of it signaling. It sounds similar but different to MDC1200.

Last edited:

lkas

I'm a PO in Tioga County and my car and portable have the Troop C Base to Car and Car to Base freqs programmed in.

I did some reading here and see that their system is not repeated? My question is:

Can Troopers only hear each other directly? (Can Troopers only hear a transmission from another Trooper on the Car to Base channel? Can two troopers out of mobile range of each other communicate through a repeater?)

Also, what signaling do the Troopers use? I hear the data burst at the end of their transmissions and it sounds significantly different then MDC1200. Through the magic of a little more Google-ing, I figured out that NYSP has GE-Star or G-Star or some variant of it signaling. It sounds similar but different to MDC1200.
i sent u a message

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
They have a channel called "C MON" in their radios. C MON is the car to base frequency so when they are scanning they can hear both sides. Some troops, like Troop K have started using the repeater functions on their bases.

NYSP uses GE Star signalling.

notsurewhatdo

Premium Subscriber
That's fine. Keep your secrets.
lol I think my question was answered in that since the cars have 110 Watt transmitters, the Troopers can hear each other just fine even though the channel isnt repeated. I dont know what the actual range is.

mshumeyk

Premium Subscriber
The topics of cars hearing other cars on duplex systems and of dedicated car-to-car channels are actually interesting. When the VHF high band system for the Los Angeles Police Department was set up the Chief of LAPD insisted that officers on patrol not have the ability to speak directly to each other. He was afraid that superiors could lose control of a situation if officers could bypass dispatch and speak directly to each other. Ultimately they established tactical channels ("1 Adam12, go to Tac 2"), but an officer had to go through dispatch to request a unit meet another on a tac channel. LAPD is now conventional digital UHF repeater with the repeater broadcasting dispatch and the cars. On the other hand, the LA County Sheriff's Dispatch channel repeaters transmit a beeping tone when an officer in the field is transmitting. Years ago when they were on lowband it was a telephone busy signal that let others know the frequency was busy.

Historically, at least here in the northeast, state police car to car communications were simplex. Up until the early 70's PA State Police dispatched on 42.62 and cars transmitted on 42.78. Cars could also transmit on 42.62 for car to car communications. When they went to high band the dispatch channels were duplex with no repeaters, and the original car to car frequency was 154.755. It was not repeated, but the bases stations could receive and transmit on this simplex channel. Not mentioned in this thread is that NYSP uses 154.665 for car to car. From monitoring it is clear troopers monitor this via the scan function.

The old VA State Police VHF system was similar to NYSP and the PA State police VHF high systems. I did discover a special feature many years ago while travelling there. While the tac channel was simplex,, troopers could request "Mobile Relay", a "by request" repeater allowing troopers to distant for simplex comms to converse with each other.

There are some advantages to not repeating a car to car channel. A repeated wide area system is always going to have dead spots, so two troopers close to each other in a critical situation might not be able to speak with each other even though they are very close. Secondly, if the tac channel for NYSP Troop C was repeated across the entire region only one conversation could occur at a time. With the current simplex channel troopers in Oneonta, Owego, Deposit and Cortland could all have short range conversations at the same time. There might be background static from distant transmissions but the short range transmissions would easily be received.

Finally, the Troopers in Broome and Tioga County have access to the repeated Sheriff dispatch channels in those counties. In fact, as the county communications centers answer all 911 calls, troopers receive most emergency dispatches over the Sheriff channels via polling so troopers hear the location of other troopers on those repeated channels.

KC3ECJ

In my area of Pennsylvania largely for EMS the dispatchers are repeated, but the ambulances respond simplex on the repeater's output frequency. I suppose the dispatch has multiple remote receivers to pick them up.

IFRIED91

Arrive alive
Premium Subscriber

Adding to this: what mode of GE Star does Troop T use? Why do you always hear double GE Star signaling packets?

chiefops

The topics of cars hearing other cars on duplex systems and of dedicated car-to-car channels are actually interesting. When the VHF high band system for the Los Angeles Police Department was set up the Chief of LAPD insisted that officers on patrol not have the ability to speak directly to each other. He was afraid that superiors could lose control of a situation if officers could bypass dispatch and speak directly to each other. Ultimately they established tactical channels ("1 Adam12, go to Tac 2"), but an officer had to go through dispatch to request a unit meet another on a tac channel. LAPD is now conventional digital UHF repeater with the repeater broadcasting dispatch and the cars. On the other hand, the LA County Sheriff's Dispatch channel repeaters transmit a beeping tone when an officer in the field is transmitting. Years ago when they were on lowband it was a telephone busy signal that let others know the frequency was busy.

Historically, at least here in the northeast, state police car to car communications were simplex. Up until the early 70's PA State Police dispatched on 42.62 and cars transmitted on 42.78. Cars could also transmit on 42.62 for car to car communications. When they went to high band the dispatch channels were duplex with no repeaters, and the original car to car frequency was 154.755. It was not repeated, but the bases stations could receive and transmit on this simplex channel. Not mentioned in this thread is that NYSP uses 154.665 for car to car. From monitoring it is clear troopers monitor this via the scan function.

The old VA State Police VHF system was similar to NYSP and the PA State police VHF high systems. I did discover a special feature many years ago while travelling there. While the tac channel was simplex,, troopers could request "Mobile Relay", a "by request" repeater allowing troopers to distant for simplex comms to converse with each other.

There are some advantages to not repeating a car to car channel. A repeated wide area system is always going to have dead spots, so two troopers close to each other in a critical situation might not be able to speak with each other even though they are very close. Secondly, if the tac channel for NYSP Troop C was repeated across the entire region only one conversation could occur at a time. With the current simplex channel troopers in Oneonta, Owego, Deposit and Cortland could all have short range conversations at the same time. There might be background static from distant transmissions but the short range transmissions would easily be received.

Finally, the Troopers in Broome and Tioga County have access to the repeated Sheriff dispatch channels in those counties. In fact, as the county communications centers answer all 911 calls, troopers receive most emergency dispatches over the Sheriff channels via polling so troopers hear the location of other troopers on those repeated channels.
By the early 70s the LAPD started installing what they called "cheater" radios in the cars- a second receive-only radio to receive the mobile-base frequency to hear the the other mobiles. I don't remember if the receiver was wired to disable when the 2-way radio was transmitting.

IFRIED91

Arrive alive
Premium Subscriber
By the early 70s the LAPD started installing what they called "cheater" radios in the cars- a second receive-only radio to receive the mobile-base frequency to hear the the other mobiles. I don't remember if the receiver was wired to disable when the 2-way radio was transmitting.
before the days of scan

IFRIED91

Arrive alive
Premium Subscriber

i am currently on temp assignment to Queensbury and monitoring the Warren county sheriff F1 HQ makes sheds light on exactly this. "Headquarters to the town of Queensbury patrol locations" all the units in the area check in "2G50 patrol over to xyz address...."

N2YQT

Ambulance Driver
Premium Subscriber
i am currently on temp assignment to Queensbury and monitoring the Warren county sheriff F1 HQ makes sheds light on exactly this. "Headquarters to the town of Queensbury patrol locations" all the units in the area check in "2G50 patrol over to xyz address...."

You'll also hear COMSEC come over Headquarters and poll for county cars when they believe there are out of patrols or it isn't a headline in progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.