Odd CW ID in east valley

Fubar

Premium Subscriber
So I picked up a CW ID on the "Brown Dot" frequency of 464.500. The ID comes out as "5022525881" which looks like a phone number, but I tried calling it and it's out of service.

When I searched the RR database, I used the "FCC Data" option to search for that frequency in AZ, I only get one hit, "BLUE RIDGE UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT #32" which is way too far away. Then I searched for that frequency and "entire database" and I get over a hundred listings for AZ (not sure why the two searches have different results). Way too many to check, especially when you factor in national licenses. I also tried downloading the land mobile database from the FCC and searched the EN table for the phone number with negative results.

Anyone have any leads on this one?

nokones

Premium Subscriber
That is an Itinerant freq and more than likely is not a permanent fixed base or repeater. I believe only mobiles can use itinerant freqs unless you have a STA from the FCC for a very short time period.

Area code 502 is a Louiseville, KY area code.

Ravenfalls

Living downtown by Chase Field and Footprint. I found many of the internant's to be used by local businesses and construction to name some of the users. A few have CW ID. GMRS is also used by businesses. Restaurants are the most common users locally.

Most commercial are DMR. 50/50 on single, double or more frequencies. Some utilize many single channels dual slot for each area like security and housekeeping etc etc.

Fubar

Premium Subscriber
New info. Not sure if this is the same repeater or a different (it is an internet after all), but I heard some guys come up on frequency asking if anyone else was using the channel. They then started coordinating what sounded like construction work. I was able to confirm that it is a repeater being used, not just from the repeater tail but that I heard at least one unit on the input frequency. I also managed to grab DCS of 206 on both the repeater input and output.

Also new is the CW ID now comes out to being WPVX2H0 which appears to be non-existent in the FCC database.

Fubar

Premium Subscriber
Huh, I tried to search for expired licenses, your ULS-fu is clearly superior to mine. Nice work! I'm pretty confident on the decode of the CW ID, I recorded the ID and then visually identified the dots and dashes in Audacity.

I'm still not sure if whatever was broadcasting that phone-number like ID and the actual (expired) callsign are from the same system. There's a ton of construction going on in Chandler, I'll have to keep an eye out for trucks with "Hoffman" on them.

DanRollman

Database Admin
There's a ton of construction going on in Chandler, I'll have to keep an eye out for trucks with "Hoffman" on them.

Among other things in the east valley, Hoffman Construction is GC on Intel's Fab 52 and Fab 62 projects.

I suspect that's your answer. The largest commercial construction general contractor in the pacific northwest brought one of their itinerant repeaters and a radio cache to their project in Chandler, AZ.

KE5ZBG

NMSAR
Premium Subscriber
The phone number above but with an Arizona area code is for Sundt Construction, a general contractor in Phoenix.

Fubar

Premium Subscriber
I've been hearing quite a bit of DMR traffic lately in the Chandler area on itinerant frequencies, most of it appears to be construction related. It would seem temporary repeaters are pretty popular with these big construction jobs.