BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Odd USB Power Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I've had my 436 since January 2016 and the following issue just started to manifest itself this past week.

With the scanner powered off, the Start Charging? Yes = "E"/ No = "." does NOT show up when I attach the USB cable to the scanner when said cable is already connected to a live power source. The scanner, however, is being powered through the USB cable when I turn it on to begin scanning. When I turn the scanner off, the Start Charging? Yes = "E"/ No = "." message appears, at which point I select no and the display reverts to Charge off.

Again, with the scanner powered off, the Start Charging? Yes = "E"/ No = "." DOES show up when I attach the USB cable to the scanner then to a live power source.

The above issue only manifests itself when in the vehicle (12V port is always "live" & using a Belkin 12v USB adapter). At home, the Start Charging? Yes = "E"/ No = "." appears when the USB cable is attached to the scanner then to a live power source and when the USB cable is already attached to a live power source before connecting to the scanner.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I guess I'm the only one that's observed this behavior. Anyway, just to document my on-going investigation, I tried a new USB cable. The issue remains, though I now no longer see the charge yes/no screen at all. The scanner is still receiving power through the cable. Same results observed when I reverted back to the old cable.

Further puzzling is that when using the Uniden provided USB cable and plugged into either a powered USB port on my computer or a USB "wall wart," the start charging yes/no screen appears as it has in the past.

In a way, this odd behavior is nice because I find the charge yes/no screen to be an annoyance (I never charge in the scanner). However, when a device starts exhibiting odd behavior, it concerns me.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
USB connectors have some pins longer than others to ensure they connect first (power and ground before data). You may have a worn connector on the scanner end of your vehicle USB cable. The other possibility is that the car USB adapter is not producing the correct voltage, in which case it could eventually damage the scanner.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
If the USB adapter in the car isn't producing the correct voltage, would it still power the scanner? I've pulled the batteries and I can still operate the scanner. The "no battery" message appears as indicated in the manual.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If it is borderline it may power the scanner but act weird. Try a different USB adapter and see if the problem goes away.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I've tracked the issue down to the 12v power strip I was using. Since I also need to power a BC23A speaker and only have one always hot 12v outlet in the car, the power strip was needed. Scanner functions fine powered directly from the 12v outlet.

I've replaced the power strip and initial tests show the new strip working as needed.

Thanks for the assistance jonwienke!

Status
Not open for further replies.