• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Ode to a screw

N9JIG

Sheriff
No, not that, get your head out of the gutter, this applies to specialized machine screws, more specifically SEM screws. A SEM screw has a captive washer and (often) a captive split lock washer. These combine the three parts to a single unit so one does not have to dig thru hardware bins looking for just the right washers and screws. If you are like me you have a pig pile of screws, bolts, nuts, washers and other assorted hardware pieces that have been collected over the years, I never throw hardware out unless it is stripped or damaged.
sems.jpg
If you get the right one, (M8x10mm) it fits most scanners for mounting in brackets, racks and elsewhere. These SEM screws have a hex-head that happens to fit the multiple head screwdriver commonly sold at Harbor Freight, Lowes, Menards and Home Depot. You know the one I am talking about; it has a plastic handle and a metal insert that has 2 Phillips and 2 slotted drives back-to-back.
screwdriver.jpg
Take out the screwdriver insert, and the SEMS screw can be turned by just the insert. You can also use a standard wrench or a screwdriver, it really is non-discriminatory. If it is in a tight space where you can't get a screwdriver in then use a wrench or a socket. It is out in the open use a screwdriver or the multi-tool as a hex driver.

With the built-in captive flat washer and split lock washer it is all the hardware you need to hold your radio in place. It fits most current and recent Uniden, Whistler, GRE and RadioShack desktop/mobile scanners. It also fits many other radios and devices around the shack.

I have used these on many of my shacks over the years, I use the 10mm long ones for scanners most of the time as they are just long enough to hold it with most brackets but not so long as to possible contact some component in the radio. They make longer ones if you need them. I have found these to be the handiest piece of hardware in my junque box.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I started buying hex head rack screws years ago for the same reason. Much easier to hold a hex head screw in a nutdriver with one hand while holding the piece of equipment up with the other hand.

As for not throwing out any hardware, I got to the point I was running out of room and realized I had more hardware than I'd ever use in my lifetime. It was a serious battle, but I can "just say no" and not grab any hardware I find in my travels.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Most of the multi-bit screwdrivers like Rich shows above become a 5/16" and sometimes a 1/4" nut driver when you remove the bits. I just now made the mistake of going to the Klein tools website to look at their multi-bit screwdrivers. Holy cow! They have 53 different types of multi-bit screwdrivers. Multi-Bit Screwdrivers | Klein Tools

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Many cities have a hardware store that seems to have at least one of everything ever made in the world. Fortunately, I have one a couple of blocks away. They'll have rows and rows of wide flat drawers with everything that has a thread on it with washers to match. Sometimes they're a little pricey but the convenience is worth it. That's where I get mine.