• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Off-road setup using Tk-790H

Status
Not open for further replies.

steves08gxp

Yes, they are the same. Rugged's blue handhelds are three times the price for a crappy blue housing (or white on mobiles).

PCI is a Kenwood dealer, so that TK-790H would be a good tested used with good accessories unit, aligned and sold with some sort of guarantee.

The eBay unit is untested, unproven, and most likely far out of alignment. There's a reason the prices are so different--they aren't the same "setup". Not to mention these radios were $1239 for just the deck, no head or cables or anything else when they were new (2018 price pages).

To tell the truth i wish i would have done extra research instead of making an impulse buy. These radios are way over powered for what we need them for, the price was good if they work out of the box. But i listened to my FIL and we bought the highest wattage for what we wanted to spend... which in hindsight was dumb. It sounded good when we were drinking beer though. (the root of the problem lol)

I hope i can get them dialed in and workign well without to much drama. Like i said earlier i'm pretty mechanical and technically inclined, so i am sure i can get it figured out just need to do research and ask questions.

N5XPM

To tell the truth i wish i would have done extra research instead of making an impulse buy. These radios are way over powered for what we need them for, the price was good if they work out of the box. But i listened to my FIL and we bought the highest wattage for what we wanted to spend... which in hindsight was dumb. It sounded good when we were drinking beer though. (the root of the problem lol)

I hope i can get them dialed in and workign well without to much drama. Like i said earlier i'm pretty mechanical and technically inclined, so i am sure i can get it figured out just need to do research and ask questions.

You might want to do some research on TK 790 (non-high powered), TK 780s, NX 700s, TK 7180 or NX 720s at this point. If you can locate the desired accessories at a lower price for a different model and then buy the matching radios, the total project cost and headache may be much lower. The TK 790 is a superb, rugged 110 watt remote mountable unit which I have great experience with, but only if you need it. A 25 or 45 watt model that connects affordably to your accessories may be more cost effective for your application.

steves08gxp

"
You might want to do some research on TK 790 (non-high powered), TK 780s, NX 700s, TK 7180 or NX 720s at this point. If you can locate the desired accessories at a lower price for a different model and then buy the matching radios, the total project cost and headache may be much lower. The TK 790 is a superb, rugged 110 watt remote mountable unit which I have great experience with, but only if you need it. A 25 or 45 watt model that connects affordably to your accessories may be more cost effective for your application.

You mean find another main unit that will work with my accessories that are coming with the "high power" model i bought?

heres the description on whats coming with them -

"Each auction is for 1 Kenwood TK-790-H VHF 148-174MHz 100W two-piece, remote mount mobile radio fitted with Kenwood KRK-5 remote mount kit. Each radio comes with a microphone, power pigtail with accessory connector, control head, remote control cable, and control head mounting bracket. "

I already purchased them and they are enroute. My local shop quoted me 1 hour to turn the power down, but said he would bench test them for me and if they need any parts he has a lot in stock for repairs. Supposedly these units have been tested and cleared out and are not password protected.

Im in each unit 139 dollars. The 1 hour labor is 130 but he said he can do all of them within that hour and then some.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
"

You mean find another main unit that will work with my accessories that are coming with the "high power" model i bought?

heres the description on whats coming with them -

"Each auction is for 1 Kenwood TK-790-H VHF 148-174MHz 100W two-piece, remote mount mobile radio fitted with Kenwood KRK-5 remote mount kit. Each radio comes with a microphone, power pigtail with accessory connector, control head, remote control cable, and control head mounting bracket. "

I already purchased them and they are enroute. My local shop quoted me 1 hour to turn the power down, but said he would bench test them for me and if they need any parts he has a lot in stock for repairs. Supposedly these units have been tested and cleared out and are not password protected.

Im in each unit 139 dollars. The 1 hour labor is 130 but he said he can do all of them within that hour and then some.

The TK-790 -non- H model is the lower power version. 45 watts High, 1 watt low.
What N5XPM is saying is that you can often find just the RF decks on line pretty cheap, and use the same accessories, remote kit, etc from the 790H.

That would get you a smaller radio that will allow you to run less power.

But then you'd be purchasing another unknown item online. Diving into swapping out RF decks isn't a big deal, unless the previous user had them set up in multiple deck setups, then there's modifications that need to be done to make them work as a single band/single head radio.

I think at this point stick with what you have coming. It'll be fine for your trailer and truck. Yeah, it's over powered for what you are doing. For the Rzr's, you'll need to figure out where to mount these beasts. The RF decks on the 790H models are pretty big and heavy, and knowing the Rzr, you are going to have some challenges finding a place to properly mount them. Their weight means they are going to need to be bolted down pretty well. As for your truck, again these are large radios, so putting the RF deck behind or under the rear seat is about your only option.
I think you may be under estimating just how big and heavy the RF deck is on these guys.

$139 is a good price, if they check out well. Turn them down to 45 watts and they'll work for what you need. But like he was saying, you could have gone with a lower powered radio and it would have been effective. I'm running 10 and 25 watt mobiles on some of ours. Antennas make a bigger difference than transmit power.

steves08gxp

What N5XPM is saying is that you can often find just the RF decks on line pretty cheap, and use the same accessories, remote kit, etc from the 790H.

But then you'd be purchasing another unknown item online. Diving into swapping out RF decks isn't a big deal, unless the previous user had them set up in multiple deck setups, then there's modifications that need to be done to make them work as a single band/single head radio.

I think at this point stick with what you have coming. It'll be fine for your trailer and truck. Yeah, it's over powered for what you are doing. For the Rzr's, you'll need to figure out where to mount these beasts. The RF decks on the 790H models are pretty big and heavy, and knowing the Rzr, you are going to have some challenges finding a place to properly mount them. Their weight means they are going to need to be bolted down pretty well. As for your truck, again these are large radios, so putting the RF deck behind or under the rear seat is about your only option.
I think you may be under estimating just how big and heavy the RF deck is on these guys.

$139 is a good price, if they check out well. Turn them down to 45 watts and they'll work for what you need. But like he was saying, you could have gone with a lower powered radio and it would have been effective. I'm running 10 and 25 watt mobiles on some of ours. Antennas make a bigger difference than transmit power.

Yeah like i said i wish i would have done research before hand. As far as mounting the units, the trailer/truck i have places to mount them. My truck it can either go under the back seat or in the tool box in the bed with my air compressor.

The rzr's are 4 seat units. You are correct that i dont know how big the unit physically is. ive been trying to find specifications but have not bee succesful yet. im hoping to fit the unit behind one of the rear seats. Or i could fabricate a roll bar mount and mount them to the roll bar. This might be the easer option.

steves08gxp

disregard that... found them... In theory it should fit....

7x2-1/4x12-3/4in.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Or i could fabricate a roll bar mount and mount them to the roll bar. This might be the easer option.

Yeah, I think that might be your best shot.
The H models are almost 8 pounds, and the mounting brackets are probably going to be fine, but keep an eye on the screws that connect the radio to the bracket. Under high vibration/impacts, you may have issues.
The non-H model is around 5 pounds and smaller, so not as much weight and better spaced out on the bracket.

Not sure what your riding style is like. We don't jump ours, but some of the trails can get pretty bouncy, washboarded, etc. I mounted the RF deck for my radio in the glove box on the Ranger and put some stiff foam under it to keep it from bouncing too much.
But these higher end commercial radios are surprisingly well built and will take a lot of abuse.

On my son's Ace 570, I am using an older Motorola GM300 10 watt VHF radio. I mounted the radio in a Pelican style waterproof box (He likes to hit creek crossings f-a-s-t). He rarely talks, so heat build up isn't an issue. I've got some foam in there to keep it from bouncing a lot, also. So far it works out well.

Doubt you'll have much trouble with water crossings down there, but dust will become an issue.

steves08gxp

Yeah, I think that might be your best shot.
The H models are almost 8 pounds, and the mounting brackets are probably going to be fine, but keep an eye on the screws that connect the radio to the bracket. Under high vibration/impacts, you may have issues.
The non-H model is around 5 pounds and smaller, so not as much weight and better spaced out on the bracket.

Not sure what your riding style is like. We don't jump ours, but some of the trails can get pretty bouncy, washboarded, etc. I mounted the RF deck for my radio in the glove box on the Ranger and put some stiff foam under it to keep it from bouncing too much.
But these higher end commercial radios are surprisingly well built and will take a lot of abuse.

On my son's Ace 570, I am using an older Motorola GM300 10 watt VHF radio. I mounted the radio in a Pelican style waterproof box (He likes to hit creek crossings f-a-s-t). He rarely talks, so heat build up isn't an issue. I've got some foam in there to keep it from bouncing a lot, also. So far it works out well.

Doubt you'll have much trouble with water crossings down there, but dust will become an issue.
Yeah ive been looking. I do run pretty hard... BUT i have the suspension dialed in with dual rate springs and valving. Its quite amazing the kind of stuff i can hit and not have a problem or have it be rough or uncomfortable. I do jump it from time to time but nothing big or crazy.
Suspension is everything.

Been thinking im going to look into mounting it under the plastic ontop of the dash where most people mount their stereo amplifiers. Looks like theoretically ill have enough room. and i could mount it with some foam for cushioning. Similar to here. Alternatively, i could mount it in my passenger side glove box. They make a drop in 10" subwoofer box that fits in there, if that fits then this should fit.

Here in a little while im gonna go pull the windhsield off and start looking around..

One question i have is, could i make "pig tail" connections using high quality weatherpac connectors. so that the unit could easily be removed?

heres a picture form somewhere that amps are often mounted

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, that location looks like it would work great.

The power and antenna will disconnect easily, but the remote head won't. You could probably find a connector that will work. 11 pins will be needed.

If it was me, I might fabricate a shield to protect the radio from anything kicked up by the front tires. At least keep direct mud/water/stones, etc from hitting it.

And yes, I've really been impressed with the suspension on my dad's Rzr-S. Seems to love absorbing the hits and wants more. Compared to my Ranger, it's a blast to drive.

steves08gxp

Yeah, that location looks like it would work great.

The power and antenna will disconnect easily, but the remote head won't. You could probably find a connector that will work. 11 pins will be needed.

If it was me, I might fabricate a shield to protect the radio from anything kicked up by the front tires. At least keep direct mud/water/stones, etc from hitting it.

And yes, I've really been impressed with the suspension on my dad's Rzr-S. Seems to love absorbing the hits and wants more. Compared to my Ranger, it's a blast to drive.

Thank you

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I believe that the H models also use a different mounting system than the non-H models. I know that my TK-790H uses a very hefty two-piece slide-in mounting assembly instead of the U-shaped sheet metal bracket with four screws into the sides of the radio that my non-H radios use.

The weight of the H models compared to the non-H models is not insignificant. It'll take a little more than chewing gum and duct tape to hold it in place. ;)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I believe that the H models also use a different mounting system than the non-H models. I know that my TK-790H uses a very hefty two-piece slide-in mounting assembly instead of the U-shaped sheet metal bracket with four screws into the sides of the radio that my non-H radios use.

The weight of the H models compared to the non-H models is not insignificant. It'll take a little more than chewing gum and duct tape to hold it in place. ;)

Correct, different mounting bracket. The ones for the H radios are pretty well built, but I'm not sure how they'd stand up to a good off road beating. Would be something to keep an eye on. Well beyond sheet metal screws at this point. 1/4" hardware, nylock nuts, etc.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy

A lot of folk have the old CB mentality of 1 mile per watt and 100W is twice as much as 50W therefore twice the range. Simply isn't true. I say this but I do have 110W radios in my pickup and Jeep...but they typically stay set at 35W. At 35W, they do everything I need them to.

About two years ago I actually lost a customer over the issue of 100W radios. He had older (but still good) Motorola radios and bought a new truck. We installed a Vertex VX-6000 (a rebranded Kenwood TK-790H) and he said it didn't have the performance. Tried the Icom offering, no joy. Then got a Motorola APX6500 on loan and it performed well. The issue wasn't one of power but one of the existing fleet of radios having an integrated pre-Amp on the receive side which is what provided the performance he had become accustomed to. Transmit power had nothing to do with it (I turned a few of his 110W radios to 55W and it wasn't noticed). He ended up not wanting the Motorola radio due to price ($3200) and hired another shop to use his 30 year old radios because I refused to work on them because a 50W radio was unacceptable.

Don't take this as not Motorola means poor performance. Just that some people are stuck in their ways.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
A lot of folk have the old CB mentality of 1 mile per watt and 100W is twice as much as 50W therefore twice the range. Simply isn't true. I say this but I do have 110W radios in my pickup and Jeep...but they typically stay set at 35W. At 35W, they do everything I need them to.

I'm using TK-5710H VHF mobiles in our PD cars. I had the shop set them all to 75 watts before they shipped them. Improves life span and not noticeable to the users. In reality, they didn't need 110 watt VHF radios, but the sales guy got to the chief before I did.

A while back, CalFire stopped buying 110 watt radios for their engines. All radios are now 50 watts. Higher power radios were not necessary and were a waste of money. That and their repeater network was good enough.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
A while back, CalFire stopped buying 110 watt radios for their engines. All radios are now 50 watts. Higher power radios were not necessary and were a waste of money. That and their repeater network was good enough.

Technically, they still are. They're using KNGs which only need a software license for 110W output. Still a monster of a brick to try to hide (especially in a dozer which was the last one I dealt with). Still not anywhere near the size of the Kenwood 790H or 5700H, but still huge. Oh and 8AWG power wire.

Back to OP: I've had plenty of ebay remorse. If my wife knew how much I spent on ebay radios, I'd be in serious trouble. May not keep up with her horse habit, but darn close. Since you've already got them coming, roll with it. Run the power down and have fun!

As far as your location, a Local FD has a Ranger Crew 1000 and has their XTL2500 Motorola brick and a siren amplifier mounted in that location. It works great for them.

steves08gxp

Technically, they still are. They're using KNGs which only need a software license for 110W output. Still a monster of a brick to try to hide (especially in a dozer which was the last one I dealt with). Still not anywhere near the size of the Kenwood 790H or 5700H, but still huge. Oh and 8AWG power wire.

Back to OP: I've had plenty of ebay remorse. If my wife knew how much I spent on ebay radios, I'd be in serious trouble. May not keep up with her horse habit, but darn close. Since you've already got them coming, roll with it. Run the power down and have fun!

As far as your location, a Local FD has a Ranger Crew 1000 and has their XTL2500 Motorola brick and a siren amplifier mounted in that location. It works great for them.

Thank you for the input. I plan to start tearing it apart today or tomorrow. The units will be here Monday.

Started tearing it down yesterday but since i just changed to an aluminum roof to use as a ground plane and make mounting easier... my roll cage no longer needed the factory seat belt mounts that my old canvas roof needed. Soooo the cutting off/grinding project started yesterday lol

Im fairly meticulous when it comes to wiring and what not. Was planning on running 8 or 10awg wiring for the power on the radios. One question and im sure i can look this up, but do they have a remote on wire like an amplifier? So that they only come on with the key?

DeoVindice

P25 Underground
Thank you for the input. I plan to start tearing it apart today or tomorrow. The units will be here Monday.

Started tearing it down yesterday but since i just changed to an aluminum roof to use as a ground plane and make mounting easier... my roll cage no longer needed the factory seat belt mounts that my old canvas roof needed. Soooo the cutting off/grinding project started yesterday lol

Im fairly meticulous when it comes to wiring and what not. Was planning on running 8 or 10awg wiring for the power on the radios. One question and im sure i can look this up, but do they have a remote on wire like an amplifier? So that they only come on with the key?

Yes, what you're describing is called ignition sense. See this thread:

steves08gxp

Thank you everyone, received the radios yesterday and started with the installation.

One question,i was programming the channels in with the KPG software, is there anything they are going to do differently than i can do with my software to turn the units down? I found this option in the program software and if its just as simple as changing this setting then i dont need to pay them to do that

N5XPM

Thank you everyone, received the radios yesterday and started with the installation.

One question,i was programming the channels in with the KPG software, is there anything they are going to do differently than i can do with my software to turn the units down? I found this option in the program software and if its just as simple as changing this setting then i dont need to pay them to do that

View attachment 85962

It has been awhile. You can adjust the high and low power separately on a radio wide basis, then program the transmit power on a per channel basis as you have located.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
To answer your question, yes you can set all your channels to low power (45W +/- 1W per factory setting) and it will keep it at a mid-power model output. That's all you need to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.