Ohio State Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pedalfar1

It appears that Ohio State Police is currently on a Motorola II System. Are there any upcoming plans to move them from this system? If so, what time-line?

Pedalfar1

Hum, was afraid of that. I knew much was switching to MARCS-IP soon, but wasn't sure about OSU Police. Guess I'd better get ready to purchase a new scanner. Thanks for the reply.

medic5399

Premium Subscriber
It appears that Ohio State Police is currently on a Motorola II System. Are there any upcoming plans to move them from this system? If so, what time-line?

Do you mean Ohio State University Police or Ohio State Highway Patrol?

fredva

Feed Provider
Oh - I didn't realize you were talking about OSU police. When you said Ohio State Police, I thought you were talking about the Ohio Highway Patrol (also called OSP or Ohio State Patrol). I have no idea about OSU's radio plans.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

CincyKid

I know this website is about frequencies and scanning, but this topic does point out the all too-often use of the term "Ohio State Police" particulaarly by members of the news media. Almost all of us involved in the scanning process are aware that the State of Ohio has no state police (like, for example, Kentucky or Indiana). The Ohio State Highway Patrol is under the Ohio Department of Transportation and its duties include the enforcemeent of traffic laws and the investigation of auto/truck/bus and aircraft accidents as well as the security of state property.

phask

Premium Subscriber
I believe they OSp is now under the Ohio Dept. of Public Safety.

- could not find a true org chart -

Pedalfar1

"THE Ohio State Police"

Hum, maybe the campus police should be referred as "THE Ohio State University Police". Maybe that will eliminate the confusion.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I know this website is about frequencies and scanning, but this topic does point out the all too-often use of the term "Ohio State Police" particulaarly by members of the news media. Almost all of us involved in the scanning process are aware that the State of Ohio has no state police (like, for example, Kentucky or Indiana). The Ohio State Highway Patrol is under the Ohio Department of Transportation and its duties include the enforcemeent of traffic laws and the investigation of auto/truck/bus and aircraft accidents as well as the security of state property.

The OSHP are state police even though they don't call it that. I see them everyday doing traffic and drug stops on Columbus inner city streets. They have statewide jurisdiction even though they concentrate on the areas you mention.

State property is protected by OSHP Police Officers, a sub division of the OSHP.

http://statepatrol.ohio.gov/recruit/po2.html

Last edited:

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Hum, maybe the campus police should be referred as "THE Ohio State University Police". Maybe that will eliminate the confusion.

They are. Always have been.

OSU_Police.jpg

shiggs68

OSHP

I disagree with the statements made about the Ohio State Highwat Patrol. They are NOT State Police. They only have juristriction on State Highway and Airplane investigations unless they have a local agreement with that local juristriction. Yes, for years, they have tried to become a State Police but it is a political issue. The county sheriffs have the most police power in Ohio but in most counties stand back because of funding and manpower.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I disagree with the statements made about the Ohio State Highwat Patrol. They are NOT State Police. They only have juristriction on State Highway and Airplane investigations unless they have a local agreement with that local juristriction. Yes, for years, they have tried to become a State Police but it is a political issue. The county sheriffs have the most police power in Ohio but in most counties stand back because of funding and manpower.

This all changed when they moved to the Dept of Public Safety. My neice got pulled over 3 times in 2 weeks on a township road by the same trooper, and never cited. It apeared to me he was atracted to her and had other intentions. We contacted the patrol, especially in reference to jurisdiction, and were told they now have authority everywhere in the state.

They don't have more authority than a sheriff in their own county, I never stated that. They are no longer restricted to state highways/interstates. Actually the county coroner has more power than the sheriff.

ctpd845

Ohio Highway Patrol does have jurisdiction on all public roads in Ohio but they are not state police. In fact they are not even certified peace officers in Ohio. Look in the Ohio Administration Code and you will see state troopers are limited in the criminal laws they can enforce.

Status
Not open for further replies.