BCD325P2/BCD996P2: BCD996P2 programming there has to be a faster way...

trevin8

Premium Subscriber
Or, simply use ProScan to combine them. I would note, however, that the location data used by the GPS is entered at the Department (or Group) level, so there is that to consider if combining some of them.
you could also divide it as noted, splitting them into a “System 1” and “System 2” if needed to stretch the groups and fit all of them in.
Haha i would love to combine them but don't know how. Like if its broken up by county then there is another sub group how do i just combine all the sub groups to fall under one county. Then my limit would be 500.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Based on some of your comments mentioning Arkansas, I know that there some of the more rural counties, that don’t use the statewide system, use DMR (or fewer, NXDN), so if you run across enough of those, you might need the DMR (or NXDN) upgrade if you want to be sure you get those ‘locals’ in addition to the state agencies.

There are other states where that same pattern (DMR or NXDN, in lieu of P25 via a statewide system) can be found.

trevin8

Premium Subscriber
Based on some of your comments mentioning Arkansas, I know that there some of the more rural counties, that don’t use the statewide system, use DMR (or fewer, NXDN), so if you run across enough of those, you might need the DMR (or NXDN) upgrade if you want to be sure you get those ‘locals’ in addition to the state agencies.

There are other states where that same pattern (DMR or NXDN, in lieu of P25 via a statewide system) can be found.
Would a SDS100 be able to pick these up? Im already outfitted with a CB radio along with a portable GMRS radio that scans which i use rarely for these types of events. The CB is nice for truckers and passing.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Haha i would love to combine them but don't know how. Like if it’s broken up by county then there is another sub group how do i just combine all the sub groups to fall under one county. Then my limit would be 500.
Editing via ProScan, you can “drag and drop” the channels (or talk groups) from a separate group into one larger one. If these are all for the same county or area, probably the location data for all of them will be pretty close. Maybe bump the range a few miles if needed.

Remember that you can select those channels/talk groups in the editor and copy (drop) them to their new “home”.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Would a SDS100 be able to pick these up? Im already outfitted with a CB radio along with a portable GMRS radio that scans which i use rarely for these types of events. The CB is nice for truckers and passing.
Any of the database scanners, both SDS and x36HP, can handle DMR or NXDN if you purchase and install the upgrades from Uniden, That would also apply to the 996P2 if it had the upgrade, but with what you are looking to handle, one of the database scanners is a better choice.

trevin8

Premium Subscriber
Editing via ProScan, you can “drag and drop” the channels (or talk groups) from a separate group into one larger one. If these are all for the same county or area, probably the location data for all of them will be pretty close. Maybe bump the range a few miles if needed.

Remember that you can select those channels/talk groups in the editor and copy (drop) them to their new “home”.
I really appreciate the help here. Feeling a bit like an idiot.
I think i have the opposite problem? I think im more confused than anything at this point.
If I copy them to paste them into a new home doesn't that just grow my "groups" which im battling at being at 20 or less?

trevin8

Premium Subscriber
Any of the database scanners, both SDS and x36HP, can handle DMR or NXDN if you purchase and install the upgrades from Uniden, That would also apply to the 996P2 if it had the upgrade, but with what you are looking to handle, one of the database scanners is a better choice.Roger that.
Thank you for the clarification sounds like the database scanner is what i need.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
If I copy them to paste them into a new home doesn't that just grow my "groups" which im battling at being at 20 or less?

This is from the Easier to Read BCD996P2/XT Manual
Dynamically Allocated Channel Memory - organized into 'Systems', 'Sites', (within trunking systems), 'Groups' (within systems), and channels (within groups). Up to 500 systems, 1,000 total sites (max 256 per system), 20 groups per system, and 25,000 channels (500 max IDs or 1,000 frequencies per system).

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
turn them into channels which I cannot figure out how to do.

That will work too. You could drag & Drop channels from one group to another -or- you can select many channels at the same time by clicking the 1st channel then hold down the Shift key then click the last channel then click the Copy (menu in Red) then select the other group node then click the Paste menu item. After all the channels have been moved, then delete the empty groups. Also right clicking the mouse will show a menu with a Copy & Paste too.

trevin8

Premium Subscriber
That will work too. You could drag & Drop channels from one group to another -or- you can select many channels at the same time by clicking the 1st channel then hold down the Shift key then click the last channel then click the Copy (menu in Red) then select the other group node then click the Paste menu item. After all the channels have been moved, then delete the empty groups.
Got it. Makes sense.
That is what I will work on. Thank you for the help. It’s been much appreciated.

Do you have any idea if I can batch select “enable gps” or do I have to select each one on its own?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I really appreciate the help here. Feeling a bit like an idiot.
I think i have the opposite problem? I think im more confused than anything at this point.
As long as you are only copying the channels, or talkgroups from a ‘group’ into another, already existing group, that does not bump your group total, for the target system, up.

If importing these, you would manually select only up to 20 of the groups in a system for import.

You would select and import those. Once you complete the import, start another import session and get the system (site) details, then select up to the “next 20” groups into it. Once that import session is done, then you can drag and drop selected channels from a group in the “second” system into a group in the initial system created.

Remember that after your “first” import session, you can combine (thin out that number) of groups in that first import session before having to do a second import.

It’s not as complicated as it sounds. I’m using my phone to answer, so I can’t give you screenshots right now. About to call it a night; have an early appointment tomorrow. If still somewhat confused, I could probably create a few screenshots showing this, but that would be, at least, sometime tomorrow afternoon or evening.

trevin8

Premium Subscriber
As long as you are only copying the channels, or talkgroups from a ‘group’ into another, already existing group, that does not bump your group total, for the target system, up.

If importing these, you would manually select only up to 20 of the groups in a system for import.

You would select and import those. Once you complete the import, start another import session and get the system (site) details, then select up to the “next 20” groups into it. Once that import session is done, then you can drag and drop selected channels from a group in the “second” system into a group in the initial system created.

Remember that after your “first” import session, you can combine (thin out that number) of groups in that first import session before having to do a second import.

It’s not as complicated as it sounds. I’m using my phone to answer, so I can’t give you screenshots right now. About to call it a night; have an early appointment tomorrow. If still somewhat confused, I could probably create a few screenshots showing this, but that would be, at least, sometime tomorrow afternoon or evening.
I’m also in bed calling it a night but I appreciate it a ton. I’ll work on this tomorrow in the morning if I’m not bombarded (it is Monday after all) and see what I can do.

Thanks again.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Do you have any idea if I can batch select “enable gps” or do I have to select each one on its own?

I think you want the Sites (and not Groups) to have location data as the sites are physical locations. You can map them out in ProScan.

{edit} Also, there may be some groups and channels that you don't care for such as trash pickup, animal control, etc. so you may want to delete those 1st.

Last edited:

sfb88

Just another thought that could help. Have you talked to any other rally enthusiasts and asked what setups they use in their cars? Maybe someone will have an already constructed file that they would share.

dmfalk

I really do recommend the SDS100, which although it has a learning curve, you'll find it hard NOT to use it for all your radio scanning needs in a handheld unit, and it'll have a more fulfilling programmability than what you're using now, with the 996P2. (It's expensive, but worth it, and don't forget to get the DMR and NXDN upgrades! (I have all four upgrades available.))

BinaryMode

The P2's already come preprogrammed with an older copy of the RR database... To get it you would have to reset the scanner.

Now if it were me, I'd program each county as a system. Then each group in each system (county) may be something like Police, Fire, EMS, etc.

Yes, keeping more than one copy of different scanner databases from ProScan will help. I do this all the time. One is for here at home and another on the go.

North Dakota is rolling out a new system and is/will be mostly encrypted.

I have a very novel way using PHP code and pulling data from the database webpage and using Notepad++ to copy/paste to ProScan. Because I can copy/paste, I can upload HUGE amounts of data. LOL! Having said that, I can probably make you a Proscan database file. I own both P2's. Is there anything you want in particular? It sounds like you want the whole U.S. You could do that, but have to limit on the departments. That, and well, I don't think I'm willing to go through 50 states of data.

a727469

Premium Subscriber
Excellent responses! Not much I can add, But, while I understand the reason to have all this data available for travel etc. the actual listening is what counts and even with the fastest scanners one can only expect to hear one thing at a time and scanning too much will very much limit your ability to easily tell what is happening.
Obviously, multiple scanners are the answer but I realize this is not practical. My only advice, limit what you scan at one time, not only by region but by type or any other criteria that interests you otherwise you will get frustrated by quantity rather than quality.

trevin8

Premium Subscriber
Just another thought that could help. Have you talked to any other rally enthusiasts and asked what setups they use in their cars? Maybe someone will have an already constructed file that they would share.
Hey,
Yeah and I didn’t listen.
The initial recommendation was to go with the bear tracker 885 but some quick research told me that wasn’t going to do much for me. I already have a standalone cb unit and I wanted phase 2.
I was then told the sds100 but this scanner came online for $250 and I figured I’d save a buck… oops

trevin8

Premium Subscriber
I really do recommend the SDS100, which although it has a learning curve, you'll find it hard NOT to use it for all your radio scanning needs in a handheld unit, and it'll have a more fulfilling programmability than what you're using now, with the 996P2. (It's expensive, but worth it, and don't forget to get the DMR and NXDN upgrades! (I have all four upgrades available.))
I will go that route eventually. This will get me by for initial testing. I have a lot of testing to do with the additional fuel cells and that system locally.