Oil Rig Explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd5pck

Anyone monitoring any traffic coming from the scene of the explosion on the Deepwater Horizon? I doubt you'll hear any VHF/UHF traffic, but anybody picking up anything on the HF bands? If so, what freq. are you hearing it on? Thanks!

KE5TLF

I threw this together over the last couple of nights.
Deepwater Horizon - The RadioReference Wiki

It's not really a lot but maybe some fine folks over LA way can contribute some more concrete info. I imagine over the next few days there will be comms to be heard on the oil slick across almost all bands and agencies in coastal areas. I'm probably a bit to far east to be of much help on VHF/UHF intercepts though and I'm not setup to monitor HF.

KE5TLF

You're quite welcome :)

I'll almost surely go poking around Harrison and Hancock counties in MS over the next couple of days myself. Happy hunting and be safe. Let us know if you find anything interesting too. :)

n5ims

The night of the explosion I heard some related transmissions on the LWIN system. Since I had just arrived in New Orleans that evening and still hadn't unpacked enough to program my scanner I was only able to do a bandscan so I wasn't able to identify the talkgroups, or any other info. It was rather chilling when I heard them do a request for "at least 3 USCG helicopters".

Twister234

BP Special Temporary Repeater

The FCC issued a Special Temporary Authority on 4/28/10 for a repeater on 451.975. License states location as Schriever in Terrebonne Parish.

IG WQLU578
BP America Inc
[Radios will be used to aid and coordinate oil spill containment functions.]
Control Point 1 - 1597 Highway 311, Schriever LA 985-493-7600
(link)
04/28/2010 License Issued
Special Temporary Authority expires 10/25/2010
1 - 1597 Highway 311, Schriever (TERREBONNE) LA (map)
451.975 FB2 25p 50e 7K60FXE
2 - 32.0 km radius around fixed location 1
456.975 MO 5p 5e 7K60FXE

KE5TLF

Nice find. Too bad they're using MOTOTRBO though. :(

Wiki updated with the info.

Last edited:

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Secret

BP must have something to hide? Or am I jumping to conclusions way up north in Canada. Still another defeat for scanner listeners.

Status
Not open for further replies.