Old License, New user

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrsavage

Hi All,

I've held a technician level license since 1992 but (for many reasons) have never gone out and purchased a radio but now I'm ready to. Any recommendations out there for a beginner like myself?

Thanks.

John

N0IU

The first question is: did you renew your license in 2002? If not, you will have to start over from scratch. Sorry.

As far as which radio, tell us a little bit more about what you want out of your new radio and how much money you can spend.

Do you want a small handheld radio or something more powerful you can use at home or in a vehicle?

Do you think you will plan on upgrading to General which will allow you to work the HF or worldwide bands?

Help us help you by giving us more information.

jrsavage

Hi Scott thanks for the response. Yes I renewed in 2002 so I'm up to date. I'm just looking for a basic setup at minimal cost to put in a vehicle, Just something to get started. After that I'll decide how much more funds I'm willing to dedicate to this.I'm not planning to upgrade at this time (too many other irons in the fire) Just something to communicate and monitor locally.

Thanks again.

John

mikef1234

Premium Subscriber
Getting Started

I would advise you to do what I did ? Buy an HT either from Radio Shack or see whats on ebay. I hung around on 2mtrs. I bought a speaker mic and external antenna. Using an Ht as a mobile the main advantage to me was security. The HT you can take with you and you don't have to worry about theft. Some come as big as as a pack of cigarettes!

jrsavage

Thanks Mike. Without trying to sound too ignorant by "HT" are you refering to Handheld?

John

N8IAA

I would advise you to do what I did ? Buy an HT either from Radio Shack or see whats on ebay. I hung around on 2mtrs. I bought a speaker mic and external antenna. Using an Ht as a mobile the main advantage to me was security. The HT you can take with you and you don't have to worry about theft. Some come as big as as a pack of cigarettes!
Radio Shack sells ham radios?????? When did that start:D I haven't seen a ham radio at the shack for over 6-7years. Ham Radio Outlet, Amateur Electronic Supply, local hamfests will get you on the air with a good 2m ht or mobile. It really depends on where you live. Either in a dense ham radio area, or, the boonies. I always suggest a handheld, because of portability. But, if you are in your vehicle more, a mobile will do you better. Prices for both are similar. Get together with some of the people you hung out with when you first got your ticket. Find out what their favorites are. That way you can test drive the latest and greatest, or, as with some hams, boat anchors:)
HTH,
Larry

mikef1234

Premium Subscriber
HT"s

Yes HT means handheld. Larry Radio Shack does sell does sell a limited selection of Ham radio stuff. The best I can remember they have Ht 2 mtr. and 440 mhz. plus they also had a 2 mtr mobile. What they have now I'm not sure. I sway towards HT's because I have had a number of a radio's stolen over time. All mobile rigs so I stick to the H.T's, of course except for base stations.

k8krh

While your waiting, get on cq100, it is free for 90 days on the internet, also download echolink, it is free..about 4 thousand stns on repeaters etc ..

DOCTOR/

N8IAA

Yes HT means handheld. Larry Radio Shack does sell does sell a limited selection of Ham radio stuff. The best I can remember they have Ht 2 mtr. and 440 mhz. plus they also had a 2 mtr mobile. What they have now I'm not sure. I sway towards HT's because I have had a number of a radio's stolen over time. All mobile rigs so I stick to the H.T's, of course except for base stations.

Did sell. I remember the 2m, 440Mhz, 2m/440Mhz dual band ht's, and the 2m mobiles. They haven't had any ham radios like I said in 6,7,8 years. The 2m moblile was decent, but only 25w. The first ht's used Icom battery packs.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.