Old School Uniden Scanner Still In Regular Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danesgs

Most older scanners are salvageable with a little TLC. As I stated to the SCAN-DC folks here, you can dedicate an older radio to a specific service that is still analog. Tour-buses, AIR, marine, MURS, FRS, HAM. Even SAR that may still use analog. You never know what might be out there. Sit an older radio 24/7 on a specific set of frequencies. Its great to have a SDS-100 for all the digital stuff , but you can narrow a band down to specific areas on an older radio and let it sit scanning for those times when something might pop-up.

Never waste a radio!

Greg-KJ4DGE

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
WOW!! That is the first time I've seen a scanner 8 track cartridge...

I still have one of the FM stereo cartridges...

..2faf678d8ce2c8be906b85187b32d1fc.jpg

Last edited:

N8LHG

Capture.JPG

Here we go boys. 😉

Used to listen to amateur repeater activity.

Engine104

Member since 2005
2 Pro 2006's and a Pro 2042 Both Pro's have a few mods from The Late Bill Cheeks Books and the Pro 2042 is still a virgin after all these years. They are used everyday.
Not Uniden, but I am loving it! My Pro-2006 is still working great. I've had to replace the EL panel a few times. I bet you've had to do that too.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I’ve got a Bearcat 300 sitting on my work desk at home scanning local, high priority stuff that gets powered up on a regular basis.
Same here and also a couple BC250's and 220's!

Still all work great but I did need to rebuild power sections in some over the years.
I still love the sound of the audio from these old Electra made models.

jmself

I have a bc760xlt I bought brand new in 1992. It is still in service monitoring Aircraft channels. I still love this radio.

Brentorious

My Pro-2001 (profile pic) still works. VHF Marine is about all I ask. But it’s now earned a permanent spot, and if it does nothing but red light trace and look cool, that’s gonna have to do.

Go-West

Premium Subscriber
Right now I have Two of the BCD436HP's, Three of the 1040's, and Two of the old versions of the BCD396T's. The 1040's still work and the two of the 436's one and are working fine. The old 436 picks up everything, ProVoice, NXDN, and DMR MotoTrbo.

N2CKH_Steve

I have a BC-250 in my basement that I use when I'm down there, purchased in 1986. My RS PRO-9 from 1976 still works as well.

My BC-250 died a long time ago.

However I do have and due use BC-890XLT and a pair of BC-895XLT units. Still very much of use to me in what I do and still work like new.

I have yet to purchase a scanner newer than the '895. I have been making use instead of software with my SDRplay RSP2Pro for tings like intercept of DMR etc. and find it works well and seems to provide more information than would a scaneer and a lot less expensively.

/s/ Steve, N2CKH

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I pulled my 800XLT out of mothballs a few months back and it's been in daily service ever since. Times have marched on though, so it no longer picks up the State Patrol that went to P25, but for everything else I care to listen to it's awesome, in fact it's been promoted to the living room!

Promoted.JPG

wwhitby

Feed Provider
I bought a BC9000xlt in the summer of 1995 and it is still in use for local non-trunked frequencies. There is still a good bit of analog VHF and UHF in use around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.