Old School Uniden Scanner Still In Regular Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trp2525

I use a Uniden BC950XLT analog scanner on a daily basis to monitor my local police, fire and EMS agencies that are still using analog here in southeastern Massachusetts. The BC950XLT is circa late 1980s and sill works fine after 30+ years of use. The only thing I have done to it is solder in a new back light incandescent bulb which has burned out a few times over the years.

The BC950XLT model was sold by Scanner World in Albany, NY and is the same model scanner as the Uniden BC760XLT that was sold by other Uniden dealers at the time. My BC950XLT has the PL tone board installed which I believe made it one of the first scanners to scan PL (if not THE first). The only drawback for me with this scanner is that a few of my local public safety agencies on analog use a digital PL so I have to monitor those in carrier squelch. Audio volume with a Uniden ESP 25 external speaker (non-amplified speaker circa 1980s) is more than sufficient even with the narrow banding that has occurred over the years.

BC950XLT Picture 8.jpg

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've got an old 895XLT sitting on my desk at work. I originally purchased it to monitor our SmartNet system. That system is long gone, so it's monitoring our VHF analog systems and a couple of UHF. Other than the lamps burning out, it's still chugging along.

Computrguy

I have and still use a 200XLT. Use it for FRS, GMRS, MURS, Air, and other nationwide frequencies. Still works decent although the keypad is on it's way out. Some of the keys I need to use a pen to push the pad really deep to activate it. A couple years ago I needed to replace the proprietary battery pack for about $20. Not bad considering I bought it back in the 1980's.

ridgescan

I have and still use a 200XLT. Use it for FRS, GMRS, MURS, Air, and other nationwide frequencies. Still works decent although the keypad is on it's way out. Some of the keys I need to use a pen to push the pad really deep to activate it. A couple years ago I needed to replace the proprietary battery pack for about $20. Not bad considering I bought it back in the 1980's.
I have a Regency Turbo Scan 800 that has that exact keypad trouble. The rig still runs great though. I bought that one way back in '88 from HRO.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Did you end up purchasing the 996? I am a fan of handhelds due to their size and ability to carry, or easy to find a spot in the house or a vehicle for daily use.

The oldest Uniden around here is the BC2500XLT I purchased it new in 1994. It sits on the desk with the others and works great. I don't use it to scan, but often use it to pop in a single frequency for dedicated monitoring. Both display lights still work as well. It has worked fine for 27 years. The lack of alphanumeric and computer programming marginalized its use over the years, but I still use it. It sounds good. I even purchased the leather case for it back in the day.

UT64bdisp.jpg
From the Universal Radio Website

oneadam12-va

I have two crystal radios that I still use...a Uniden Bearcat base/mobile 8 channel that is about the size of a bread box and a Radio Shack 4 channel hand held...both monitor railroads, the hand held also monitors the VHF analog alerting channels for Danville Fire, DLSC, and Pittsylvania County(currently at work, not with radios don't remember model #'s but both are at least 40 years old...)

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
I use a Uniden BC950XLT analog scanner on a daily basis to monitor my local police, fire and EMS agencies that are still using analog here in southeastern Massachusetts. The BC950XLT is circa late 1980s and sill works fine after 30+ years of use. The only thing I have done to it is solder in a new back light incandescent bulb which has burned out a few times over the years.

The BC950XLT model was sold by Scanner World in Albany, NY and is the same model scanner as the Uniden BC760XLT that was sold by other Uniden dealers at the time. My BC950XLT has the PL tone board installed which I believe made it one of the first scanners to scan PL (if not THE first). The only drawback for me with this scanner is that a few of my local public safety agencies on analog use a digital PL so I have to monitor those in carrier squelch. Audio volume with a Uniden ESP 25 external speaker (non-amplified speaker circa 1980s) is more than sufficient even with the narrow banding that has occurred over the years.

View attachment 102093
Hello neighbor 👋 I always feel like we're very lucky, there's still a ton of analog to listen to around our area. Some other areas in the country have gone completely ENC. I'm still slowly purging out some of my analog scanners though. Just a matter of time before digital and worse yet encryption takes over.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
I'm curious about how many of you here still have the older Uniden scanners in regular use. I bought my BC785D way back in 2004 and it has been in use almost daily here since new and I think it deserves an attaboy for longevity and reliability.
Here in San Francisco, our agencies still use the old 800mHz APCO P25 and my BC785D still gets every transmission in every "conversation" with no missed transmissions, even though they were supposed to go 700mHz they apparently never got around to that.
I did have to go inside the rig and tweek the lone variable cap enclosed within this Faraday box on the main board which clarified and strengthened the "capture" in 800...as I think it seemed to fall a little out of tolerance after all this time.
I was considering buying a new Uniden of some kind but after doing that, I'm too happy with this old Uniden rig.
I may still buy a new one, maybe a 996?...or whichever model you guys might suggest, to use as my base rig in the house so I may then install the old 785D into my Lexus as that SUV is woefully void of any radio fun.
I’m still happily using my BC396T handheld as my main scanner here near Richmond, VA. I receive the Richmond/Henrico/Chesterfield 3 county system just fine, even though it’s simulcast. I also receive the STARS statewide system, which the state troopers are on, just fine. There is nothing on NXDN or DMR that I really “have” to monitor (although it would be fun to monitor the six area hospitals on their DMR system). Unfortunately, my BC780XLT is good only for monitoring conventional transmissions here, so I use it to keep an ear out on aircraft, railroads, marine, FRS/GMRS and business freqs. It’s not usable any longer for the trunked systems in this area!

hill

Premium Subscriber
Just picked up a PRO-2045 for cheap to mainly monitor MIl Air, but it does get used to monitor some Civ Air sometimes and works great on both bands. I think the older radios work better on air, than the newer radios made mostly to trunk track.

To the other that just purchased a PRO-2045 I think you will like it and it has many nice features. The VFO dial is great for tuning around when searching for new frequencies. My also has the tone board installed, but other than testing on some FM ones, it mostly on AM aircraft bands.

My one remaining PRO-94 doesn't see much use with only one local county still using a Smart Zone system.

WB9YBM

I'm curious about how many of you here still have the older Uniden scanners in regular use.

Forgot the exact year, but I've got a Uniden hand-held that's at least 20-25 years old; works fine (only had to send it in for repair once), and still use it.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I still have a BC200XLT handheld that has become desk candy for the most part. Great for anything analog. That was my main scanner in the big truck for years...before the dreaded trunk systems took over. I think the BCT125AT out-performs the 200 by far especially on airband.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I think the 780XLT was one of Uniden's best scanners. It was the first scanner that came along (for me) that you could personally customize with alpha-tags, etc. Great reception and sensitivity, and the lighted front panel looked great. I had 3 of them at one time and then upgraded with technology and eventually replaced them with the latest and greatest at the time. Now, I want one again lol. I do that a lot, it's a vicious cycle.

WB9YBM

For a real "blast from the past" does anyone remember the Tenelec "Memory Scan"? My first VHF/UHF radio that actually scanned--the frequencies were programmed into memory channels using a binary code the user put in via switches on the front panel.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I had the Tennelec Tennetrac II scanner! I think it was only 10 or 12 channels, those red rocker buttons, and the nice veneer wood grain cabinet. Ahh, those were the days. That was a very cool scanner :)

sfb88

For a real "blast from the past" does anyone remember the Tenelec "Memory Scan"? My first VHF/UHF radio that actually scanned--the frequencies were programmed into memory channels using a binary code the user put in via switches on the front panel.
I not only remember it but I still have one around here. Not in active use though. For some reason I found it particularly tactilely satisfying to throw the switches when programming it.

WB9YBM

I had the Tennelec Tennetrac II scanner! I think it was only 10 or 12 channels, those red rocker buttons, and the nice veneer wood grain cabinet. Ahh, those were the days. That was a very cool scanner :)

The only pain in the rear was the programming: make a mistake and you'd have to start that long string of binary numbers all over again!

If I remember correctly they had the standard car stereo antenna jack in the back; I ended up buying an after-market car antenna and put that on a few shelves higher than where the scanner was plus it was a bit longer than the whip that came with the radio (although it's so long ago I forgot how much, if at all, that helped with increasing range).

Status
Not open for further replies.