Older Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

veeker

Premium Subscriber
Hi there folks, i have an older scanner, its an uniden 145xl, im really new to this scanning stuff. so i was curious to know if i can still pick up the opp or the c-kpd with this scanner. thanks

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9300; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.526 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

veeker said:
Hi there folks, i have an older scanner, its an uniden 145xl, im really new to this scanning stuff. so i was curious to know if i can still pick up the opp or the c-kpd with this scanner. thanks

You are going to need a newer scanner to listen the OPP and WRPS.

There are a good many listed in the wiki section of this website. Some you can simply type in your postal code and you're areas active frequencies can come up (GRE PSR800, Uniden Home Patrol). Some you use free or pay to use software to program (Pro 106, Uniden 396XT). Some older models you can get for a decent price. There is a dude here who can let you know what he has at the moment (PM me) or you can look at the Scanners that Scannermaster (there is an add for them on the site) sells.

I was in your area on Sat. You have a good many things to listen to with a new scanner.

Right now off the top of my head you can listen to a few fire departments in Wellington County and ambulance pagers on 149.440. If air Ornge is not far away they will communicate on 150.100 and 413.6875.

Look at the database for the OPP repeaters, if units are close by you can hear them on 410.8625 among others.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Chatham Kent police are ProVoice digital, so unfortunately no scanner new or old will pick them up. You should be able to pull in some of the OPP VR frequencies like frankh mentioned. Check the OPP entry in the Ontario section of the database for the full list.. The main ones you will want to try are:

VR01 - 410.8625
VR02 - 411.3125
VR03 - 411.5125

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Eric: I believe he is in Chatham-Kent, not Wellington County, as he mentioned CKPD (CKPS actually) not WRPS.

VE3JSO

for ckps would he be able to get this freq if there is a car in the area
866.25000 M 210.7 PL ChKtPSCrtoCr Police Car to Car FM Law Talk

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Sorry. Thought you meant Kitchener/Waterloo.
Tried to edit my post but couldnt

veeker

Premium Subscriber
Hey thanks for the help everyone but I'm thinking about getting a trunking type scanner. What do you think about a uniden BCT8 trunk tracker III?

VE3JSO

it's an ok scanner but from what i see it's only analog so you won't get opp mto enforcement or any other agency that is using digital my best suggestion is ether keep looking around untill you find a digital trunking scanner at a good price like uniden bcd 996xt and bcd396xt home patrol 1, psr 500, 600, 800 radio shack version pro 18, 106, 197 and with them you will be able to get all fleetnet users that is not encrypted and any other frequency that is p25 digital

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
The Pro-96 is an older digital scanner, but is still quite popular. I have one in my inventory and it's worked great since day 1. Would do a good job for you on OPP and will also work with MPSCS in Michigan. The only drawback there is that I think (if i recall correctly) you are limited to 100 talkgroups or something like that per trunked system. Obviously a system like Michigans has many many groups but you could certainly just program in your local ones and be all set. If the price was right I wouldn't hesitate ($200 or so maybe). It was replaced by the Pro-106 which can be found new for $299 now and again.

bill67

Scanners

I use a Pro 106 (Handheld) and a Pro 197 (Base/Mobile) and getting good results. I use a rooftop yagi directional for long distance reception, works great. I use a rooftop discone for omni-directional receiving, it works good as well. I got my scanners in Marine City, Michigan... they go on sale occasionaly for 300.00 for either model. I am in your area so these will work good for you also. Hope this helps. BILL..

Status
Not open for further replies.