Yaesu: Older Yaesu YSK-7800 head separation mount on new FTM models?

KD7RJC

I'm leaning towards purchasing a Yaesu FTM-500, a -300, or a -200. I'm not thrilled with the mounting options that I'm finding for these models based on how the vehicles I'll need to install into are structured. I did find this copy of the bracket included in the older YSK-7800 kit intended for FT-7800/7900:

41DXcF7Sm1L._AC_.jpg

It basically has a ring shaped the same as the front of the radio body behind the removable face, so the face can mount to this device and it mounts to whatever it's attached to.

I looked at the dimensions of the radios that it's officially for and compared to the newer radios, they look darn similar. On Rigpix we're looking at 140mm x 42mm, versus 139x42, that sort of thing. The differences are so small that they well could be simple measurement deviation when the cases were being measured by different engineers as they were drafting the specifications.

Has anyone tried the YSK-7800 bracket on the newer models? I'd love to hear if it fits well, or only sort-of, or not at all. The original part from Yaesu isn't available anymore but there are reproductions/copies widely available and they're not terribly expensive either.

Thanks,

k6cpo

I'm leaning towards purchasing a Yaesu FTM-500, a -300, or a -200. I'm not thrilled with the mounting options that I'm finding for these models based on how the vehicles I'll need to install into are structured. I did find this copy of the bracket included in the older YSK-7800 kit intended for FT-7800/7900:

41DXcF7Sm1L._AC_.jpg

It basically has a ring shaped the same as the front of the radio body behind the removable face, so the face can mount to this device and it mounts to whatever it's attached to.

I looked at the dimensions of the radios that it's officially for and compared to the newer radios, they look darn similar. On Rigpix we're looking at 140mm x 42mm, versus 139x42, that sort of thing. The differences are so small that they well could be simple measurement deviation when the cases were being measured by different engineers as they were drafting the specifications.

Has anyone tried the YSK-7800 bracket on the newer models? I'd love to hear if it fits well, or only sort-of, or not at all. The original part from Yaesu isn't available anymore but there are reproductions/copies widely available and they're not terribly expensive either.

Thanks,
The FTM-500 control head will fit in that mount. That's what I'm using to hold mine. The mount I had for my FTM-400 vibrated too much with the larger and heavier 500 head on it. I don't know if the FTM-200 or 300 control heads will fit that bracket, but, I know the FTM-100 control head fits in it so it might be the case for the 200 and 300.

KD7RJC

The FTM-500 control head will fit in that mount. That's what I'm using to hold mine. The mount I had for my FTM-400 vibrated too much with the larger and heavier 500 head on it. I don't know if the FTM-200 or 300 control heads will fit that bracket, but, I know the FTM-100 control head fits in it so it might be the case for the 200 and 300.
Thank you for the confirmation.

Presuming I go Yaesu, I'm probably going to disassemble the dash bezels on the vehicles in question, build some kind of frame to install on the concealed mounting bosses or rivnuts that the factory AM/FM broadcast receiver and the HVAC controls bolt to that will sit flush behind the dash bezels, then reinstall the bezels and drill-through to be able to mount this bracket to the new metal, sandwiching everything. Or alternately I'll cut a slot that conforms to this and recess it into the dash as much as I practically can in order to recess the radio control head as far as I can. My goal is for the install to be as unnoticeable as possible while still being easy to use.

I'm even tempted to try a handmic install using a tube set into the dash, where the connector is at the far end, and when tension is taken off the cable it retracts into the hole. That could be a bit ambitious admittedly.

k6cpo

Thank you for the confirmation.

Presuming I go Yaesu, I'm probably going to disassemble the dash bezels on the vehicles in question, build some kind of frame to install on the concealed mounting bosses or rivnuts that the factory AM/FM broadcast receiver and the HVAC controls bolt to that will sit flush behind the dash bezels, then reinstall the bezels and drill-through to be able to mount this bracket to the new metal, sandwiching everything. Or alternately I'll cut a slot that conforms to this and recess it into the dash as much as I practically can in order to recess the radio control head as far as I can. My goal is for the install to be as unnoticeable as possible while still being easy to use.

I'm even tempted to try a handmic install using a tube set into the dash, where the connector is at the far end, and when tension is taken off the cable it retracts into the hole. That could be a bit ambitious admittedly.
The nice thing with that mount is that you can remove the radio head from it and stash it away. That what I do. I bought a Cat cable that has a socket on one and I use the short cable that came with the radio to connect to it. It makes it easy to remove the radio when i want to. I can also use another cable to operate the radio outside the vehicle. The front speaker on the control head makes that easy also.

KD7RJC

The nice thing with that mount is that you can remove the radio head from it and stash it away. That what I do. I bought a Cat cable that has a socket on one and I use the short cable that came with the radio to connect to it. It makes it easy to remove the radio when i want to. I can also use another cable to operate the radio outside the vehicle. The front speaker on the control head makes that easy also.
Glad to hear it comes off easily enough. I'm strongly considering setting up a place in the house to use the radio outside of the truck. The house has a dual-flue chimney and the second flue was for a woodburning stove in the basement that isn't there anymore. At the vent at the top of the chimney the disused flue has a metal structure with a flat metal top and grates on the sides. I'm thinking of using this metal surface as a ground-plane and finding or making the thinnest possible half- or 5/8-wave antenna to install right in the center of it, something that's just a simple rod that won't particularly stand out. It would be high enough to be fairly useful.

KD7RJC

The cheap bracket arrived and while a bit too snug, does fit. I'd done some other reading and found references to shaving/trimming/scraping to remove excess plastic around the edges which I've done a bit of on mine. For around ten bucks I can't really complain too much.

KD7RJC

I suppose I should have updated this thread, I used this bracket successfully on both my 2015 Nissan Frontier:

05 sunglass well with installed mount.jpg

14 its alive.jpg

And on my wife's 2015 Jeep Renegade:
10 ysk-7800 mounting plate attached.jpg

18 center stack from drivers view.jpg

Given how cheap these brackets are I would highly recommend anyone trying to affix the radio control head to the dash or console directly, as opposed to using one of those seat-bracket mounts or cupholder mounts just pick up one to try. And don't be afraid to whittle, drill, cut, file, or do anything else to make it fit the way you want, they're essentially so cheap as to be a disposable item.

And thanks @k6cpo for confirming the fitment. I did what you suggested, using the short cable to a jack in the console, works a treat.