On a lighter note... GASP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cristisphoto

blantonl said:
On a lighter note... gasp!

RadioReference.com experienced their first bounced check that we've ever seen in the existing of the site.... bounced meaning someone bounced a check to us for a subscription payment.

Now, while I cannot wait to see who it was from, I won't release the details like the local dinner at my college used to do by posting the actual bounced checks on the window of the joint for humiliation purposes.

Anyway, I'll drop by the mailbox tomorrow to see what the bank has waiting for me.

In the mean time, you know who you were, and expect your premium account to be suspended shortly......

Just use one of those Telechex things that you Lterally RUN the paper check and it check banks etc for legitamicy, Acount info etc
if it rejects the check
Then Email the sender and say hey pay with M.O or Credit
Or No Fun for you lol
http://www.telecheck.com/wwwtelecheck/CDA/CDAtemplates/twsCDAhome/

Warm regards
Crista

cristisphoto

N_Jay said:
Ya, know?

It could have been an honest mistake!

(By the way, it was not me, but I just had this happen when the bank put a hold on a deposit , I assumed had cleared.)

TRUE, as t I will say this
When I joined the NAvy I recived a nice bonus of a few thousand dollars..
Well when that money was FINALLY deposited.. I called my bank and they told me all was well That I can spend at will
Well I bought me AN SLR camera, a Scanner and whatnots
and Ummm about a month later I got letters saying that my checks had bounced
WHAT THE HECK??
I had the money in the bank well when I got the Actual check or rather copies on the back was Acount Blocked..
IF I lacked the Money they would have said INsuffecint funds
BUt I HAD SUFFECIENT FUNDS THEY BLOCJKED MY DAMN ACCNT AND NO ONE told me ANYTHING:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
SO I had to pay in CASH what I OWED AND the 25 dollar fees for EACH CHECK
I have never since had a Bank account since and refuse to get one now
So yeah you can't really judge..
CAuse BAnks ESPECIALLY BANK OF America SUUUCKS
ANyways
I hop you all have better luck with those thieves..
Warm regards
Crista

hcsd35-32

Ok, don't want to get too off topic, but think I should clarify how TeleCheck and similar check processing companies work.

Yes, you do run the papercheck through a machine and convert the paper check into an electronic transaction. However there is no checking of banking information. What it does do is check an internal database of all checks telecheck has processed. If you have written several bad checks and Telecheck knows about it, the check will be denied. There is no access to your bank balance, account information, anything from your bank.

cristisphoto said:
Just use one of those Telechex things that you Lterally RUN the paper check and it check banks etc for legitamicy, Acount info etc
if it rejects the check
Then Email the sender and say hey pay with M.O or Credit
Or No Fun for you lol
http://www.telecheck.com/wwwtelecheck/CDA/CDAtemplates/twsCDAhome/

Warm regards
Crista

cristisphoto

Thank you for the clraification..
I have NEVER used one
And I don't have my own business
SO what I was saying, ERR writing lol, was PURE Speculation
LOL
Warmest Regards,
Crista

SCPD

QRT
hcsd35-32 said:
Yes, you do run the papercheck through a machine and convert the paper check into an electronic transaction. However there is no checking of banking information.
Close enough. Some locations will hand the check back to the customer marked "cancelled". It's effectively a debit card transaction - so, yeah the merchant accessed your account to the extent that they got an approval from the check writer's financial institution.

Other locations do as you describe - they check a "negative" database (bounced checks) and may also have "positive" history based on your shopping habits at other Telecheck customers' locations. The good news for someone listed in the negative database is all they need to do is make good on that bounced check - and they're removed from the database. The mixed news is that you might get denied (or they may request additional ID) if you make a purchase that doesn't fit your profile (like buying eight televisions).

Things get really nasty in cases of genuine check fraud where the person actually writing the check is using someone else's name and account information. But that's another story.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
hcsd35-32 said:
Ok, don't want to get too off topic, but think I should clarify how TeleCheck and similar check processing companies work.

Yes, you do run the papercheck through a machine and convert the paper check into an electronic transaction. However there is no checking of banking information. What it does do is check an internal database of all checks telecheck has processed. If you have written several bad checks and Telecheck knows about it, the check will be denied. There is no access to your bank balance, account information, anything from your bank.

ya forgot to say they charge a fee too - my brother in law used to have one of those things in his shop as well as visa/master between the monthly charge and the per charge charge, poor kid lost all kinds of cash

cristisphoto

joetnymedic said:
ya forgot to say they charge a fee too - my brother in law used to have one of those things in his shop as well as visa/master between the monthly charge and the per charge charge, poor kid lost all kinds of cash

That's ashamed I can understand a monthly....
OR a Pay per
But BOTH????!!!:evil: :roll: :evil:
No wonder all the small business and Mom and Pop shops are dissapering in America..

It cause the BIG Corporate types,
if they can't RUN them out or PRICE them out
then they Bend them OVER the counter with NO Vaseline,,,

GOOD Grief!!!
ANyways,
Thanks all for the clarifications....

Warmest Regards,
Crista

jparks29

John McClane
actually, bank of america is a good bank.. IMO.....

I thought the check had cleared, and spent some money, there was about 10 transactions after that, that gave me a negative balance, I had almost 400 dollars in overdraft fees because of it.... I knew because they send my account balance to my cellphone every morning, or when more than 200 dollars is removed...... called them up, and they waived each and every overdraft fee...they had every right to say "sorry, you have to pay them".. but they chose to waive them because of the situation... good company if you ask me...

cristisphoto

jparks29 said:
actually, bank of america is a good bank.. IMO.....

I thought the check had cleared, and spent some money, there was about 10 transactions after that, that gave me a negative balance, I had almost 400 dollars in overdraft fees because of it.... I knew because they send my account balance to my cellphone every morning, or when more than 200 dollars is removed...... called them up, and they waived each and every overdraft fee...they had every right to say "sorry, you have to pay them".. but they chose to waive them because of the situation... good company if you ask me...

I gues iitall depends on your region in which you bank..
I opened that account In GA when I first joined the NAVY
The problem hapenned once I had been in California, for a few months
ANd I have refused to open another account since my Medical discharge..
Iv'e heard Nohing but NEgaive thing about Bof A out here soo
yeah its Probaly regional
Pus now they have these new laws where You MUSt have at least TWO Government PHOTO Id's
Like a State License or ID PLUS Passport etc...
Hence they won't accept my businees even if I wanted to:roll:
as I am ON SSI ?SSDI
and have NO need or ability for a OAsport or SChol ID
as I am an adult
Anyways
Warm regards
Crista

scannerfreak

Database Admin
hcsd35-32 said:
Yes, you do run the papercheck through a machine and convert the paper check into an electronic transaction. However there is no checking of banking information.

Our Local Walmart now Scans the check and gives it back to you on the spot. They run it like a debit card and the funds are approved or not approved. No more bad checks at Walmart..So the blanket statement that is doesn't check funds is no longer true :) This system does.

Last edited:

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I pleased, and humbled, to report that the person that bounced the check has sent a new check.

The problem happened where the person's account was closed due to a fraud problem, and the check bounced due to the closed account.

See there, I jumped to conclusions... so, I am pleased to report that we have never had an NSF check before... ;)

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
things happen and this gave some comical relief for something that has happened to plenty of us, even though it wasn't comical when it happened to us. thats cool tho glad to hear ya got your money.

Joe

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Doesn't the WM thing come under the Check21 stuff that they started using last year?

mrhex

I once used Bank of America during my early 20s. You know the deal...

You have just moved out of your folks place. You are on your own. The world is yours. You start to get tons of credit card offers. You think I am smart and young. I can work 40 hours, plus juggle school, and keep the creditors at bay. At least you think.

Then the next semester comes around. Oh hmmm my VISA account is a bit past due. Hmm money for beer or books? You show up to work and find out that you have been let go because of downsizing. Then you realize that the bill for food that you *floated* on your check card comes due. Time to bug the parents for some money. "Whats that mom? You won't help me out? What do you mean welcome to the real world?"

The next week you find out that your account has been overdrafted. Ugh. But wait since your account has overdrafted too many times the overdraft fees are now $50 a pop. And on top of it you lost your job. You don't have direct deposit so you get charged $5 a month for having an account. Here comes the end of the month. Another $5 charge. Oh wait you just overdrafted again. That $5 charge now becomes $55. You try to close out your account. Oh wait you can't because you still owe a negative balance.

The next day while trying to close your account you deposit your income tax refund check, expecting to get some money. But since your account is $200 in the hole from stupid overdraft fees, you only get $15 from your $215 check.

Now I know I am going to get tons of responses about being financially responsible. Trust me folks I learned from my mistakes. Long story short, I will never EVER use BofA again. They can rot as far as I am concerned.

When and if I ever go into business for myself I will only accept cash, money orders, or credit cards. Yeah I will probably be discriminating against an unfortunate few, but thats just the way it is.

Thayne

If you go into business, get ready to get hosed--I'm so glad I retired :)

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I had some guy bounce a check on me and the bank hit me for twenty-five bucks...SOBs... :twisted:

daleduke17

xusmarine1979 said:
The closest thing I've delt with on this subject is my wife had written her brother a check for $10. He altered it to $940. Hmm...

Does your wife still have a brother? Or a pile of body parts that resemble said brother?

Status
Not open for further replies.