OP25 tuning errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

maredzki

Feed Provider
Why not fire up GQRX and tune to a weather channel and setup your PPM with it? Let it run for about 20 mins. and see where your PPM is after the warm up. I'll run my PPM setup that way to get a value.
Can I contact you via PM directly if I have any questions about the usage of Gqrx to make sure I have it tuned properly?

KA1RBI

Why not fire up GQRX and tune to a weather channel and setup your PPM with it? Let it run for about 20 mins. and see where your PPM is after the warm up. I'll run my PPM setup that way to get a value.

Unfortunately, this is not sufficient. At 800 MHz a PPM error of 1 is 800 Hz. The slicer can only tolerate an error < 600 Hz (approx.; in FDM P25 symbols differ by a deviation of 1,200 Hz). So, corrections must be more precise than 1 part per million...

Also, separately, the weather channels are in the 162 MHz band where PPM errors are only about 1/5 as severe as they would be in the 800 band...

Max

maredzki

Feed Provider
Unfortunately, this is not sufficient. At 800 MHz a PPM error of 1 is 800 Hz. The slicer can only tolerate an error < 600 Hz (approx.; in FDM P25 symbols differ by a deviation of 1,200 Hz). So, corrections must be more precise than 1 part per million...

Also, separately, the weather channels are in the 162 MHz band where PPM errors are only about 1/5 as severe as they would be in the 800 band...

Max
Ok, should I just wait for the -X switch to be added to the syntax this weekend? :)

boatbod

Ok, should I just wait for the -X switch to be added to the syntax this weekend? :)
It's really not that hard to tweak the tuning manually. Simply open the 'mixer' plot (key #5) and look at the signal hump that should be centered on the tuning line. Adjust the -q parameter (by +/-1 each time) to move the hump into the center.

It should look similar to this:
Screenshot from 2020-03-07 12-06-18.png

maredzki

Feed Provider
Cool, pulled it, but wasnt able to rebuild, so I pulled it and just installed it as a fresh copy.

It works perfectly now even though I do get a few tuning errors and a few PCM underruns.

boatbod

Cool, pulled it, but wasnt able to rebuild, so I pulled it and just installed it as a fresh copy.

It works perfectly now even though I do get a few tuning errors and a few PCM underruns.
You may see a tuning errors initially as op25 establishes a lock on the signal and sorts out the needed adjustments but after that it should remain fairly stable. Depending on your hardware there may be intermittent small adjustments in fine tuning (which you might notice on the terminal screen) but it really shouldn't issue any subsequent +/-1200/2400hz tuning errors. Control Channel timeouts and PCM underruns are an unfortunate fact of life, especially if the signal strength is a little on the marginal side.

maredzki

Feed Provider
It's really not that hard to tweak the tuning manually. Simply open the 'mixer' plot (key #5) and look at the signal hump that should be centered on the tuning line. Adjust the -q parameter (by +/-1 each time) to move the hump into the center.

It should look similar to this:
View attachment 81490
After this hint, I was able to quickly fine tune the offset and in my case it was -500.

maredzki

Feed Provider
Yes that it correct.
General theory is to make the gross adjustments by varying ppm (-q) then finish off with fine-tune (-d). Typically you shouldn't need more than about +/-350 of fine tune.
Ended up with -q -1 -d 300. I think this could be the optimal setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.