OPD codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanTheFreqs

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
hello, i was wondering if someone could give me a list, or point me in the direction of a list of all the codes and signals the omaha police department uses, i already know all of the nebraska 10- codes but i dont know all the codes omaha uses,

thanks in advance!

wb0qqk

Premium Subscriber
Here are a few that I can recall from the past. I'm sure there's more,
but I can't remember at the moment:

Code 1: Made a report
Code 2: Custodial arrest
Code 3: Citation issued
Code 4: Gone on arrival
Code 5: Can't locate
Code 6: Civil matter
Code 7: Assignment completed
Code 8: Turned over to ______

Signal 1: Not wanted/no record/not stolen
Signal 2: Felony history
Signal 3: Misdemeanor warrant
Signal 4: License suspension/revocation
Signal 5: Stolen
Signal 6: Felony warrant
Signal 10: Gun registration
Signal 66: Gang member
("C" after Signal 2 indicates felony conviction)
("X" after Signal 2, 6 or 66 indicates violent tendency)

Signal 88: Situation under control
Signal 9-5: Coffee break
Signal 8-0: Lunch

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Signal 77 is request for backup. 240 is the same as 8-0 for meal break. You should be able to just google omaha police codes and come up with a list if its not already listed in the database here.

wb0qqk

Premium Subscriber
NeFire242 said:
Signal 77 is request for backup. 240 is the same as 8-0 for meal
break. You should be able to just google omaha police codes and come up with a list if its
not already listed in the database here.

I checked with a buddy on OPD who has never heard of "Signal 77." Where did you
get that? Also, Omaha doesn't use "Signal 2-4-0," but Sarpy agencies do.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
I've heard Omaha use it on the air before, even Council Bluffs as well. How do you request backup then if you're on a traffic stop out with the people? You just say send another car or what?

wb0qqk said:
I checked with a buddy on OPD who has never heard of "Signal 77." Where did you
get that? Also, Omaha doesn't use "Signal 2-4-0," but Sarpy agencies do.

wb0qqk

Premium Subscriber
NeFire242 said:
How do you request backup then if you're on a traffic stop out with the
people? You just say send another car or what?

Yes we do. "Send me another car" or "send me a backup" is acceptible open text
communication which is used to have another officer respond. As a rule, if there are
multiple occupants in a vehicle we are stopping, part of our radio traffic after describing
the location and vehicle description will include the number of occupants. That is usually
enough to get units moving toward the stop location without asking for an additional car.

Also, if it looks like things are going to go bad, we can depress the orange emergency
button on our radios which transmits a six digit code to the dispatcher. That identifies the
specific unit in distress. The microphone of the radio goes live for 20 seconds which
allows the monitoring of what is being said or what noises are present during that time.

Very helpful if you get into a use of force confrontation and have your hands too busy
or can't take time to yell "help an officer" in the microphone.

Last edited:

topnik

Again...thank you...

wb0qqk said:
Yes we do. "Send me another car" or "send me a backup" is acceptible open text
communication which is used to have another officer respond. As a rule, if there are
multiple occupants in a vehicle we are stopping, part of our radio traffic after describing
the location and vehicle description will include the number of occupants. That is usually
enough to get units moving toward the stop location without asking for an additional car.

Also, if it looks like things are going to go bad, we can depress the orange emergency
button on our radios which transmits a six digit code to the dispatcher. That identifies the
specific unit in distress. The microphone of the radio goes live for 20 seconds which
allows the monitoring of what is being said or what noises are present during that time.

Very helpful if you get into a use of force confrontation and have your hands too busy
or can't take time to yell "help an officer" in the microphone.

Have never heard a "77" nor have I heard any OPD units use 240 for 80...then again, I haven't been listening as long as some of you.

Yeah...the orange button is good...especially, if you have to use it...when it's preceeded by "send a second to my location"...

Better to take care of things before they get out of hand rather than have to hit the orange button...

Peace,

Spanky###

wb0qqk

Premium Subscriber
I began listening to OPD when I was a kid and the entire city was on 155.130 mHz.
My monitor was a Sonar portable receiver that incorporated a two-frequency crystal
controlled VHF converter with an AM broadcast receiver that used slope detection to
hear the FM radio traffic. My second frequency was OFD when they were on 154.19

Scanners had not become available at that time. I used a Midland tunable VHF
converter in my car which allowed me to monitor through the AM broadcast radio.
It was annoying between transmissions because there was no squelch circuit in
the converter. When OPD transitioned to UHF in 1970-71, I bought an eight channel
Electra Bearcat II scanner. It was an improvement over the Bearcat I since the new
model had channel lockout switches. I still have the scanner in my collection of radios.

I can only remember a couple of times since we migrated to the 800 system in '95
when the orange button has been activated on the day shift. The one that stands out
is when one of our guys was in a PI at 25th & Virginia. His cruiser got broadsided and
due to a lot of routine radio traffic on the system, he kept getting bonked and couldn't
get on the air.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.