Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrdx

I am in need of a scanner that will do open squelch scanning that does not stop scanning when a signal or sounds are present.

Does this ability exist in any kind of receiver or a modification that can be done?

Thanks

JoeyC

what is the benefit of this?
not understanding why you would want a scanner to continue scanning when the squelch opens or a signal becomes present.
You wouldn't hear anything.

kma371

QRT
I am in need of a scanner that will do open squelch scanning that does not stop scanning when a signal or sounds are present.

Does this ability exist in any kind of receiver or a modification that can be done?

Thanks

Folks it not a matter of WHY he wants to do it, he just wants to do it. Lets help him...

Some scanners (the 996 i know does it) can be set to resume scanning after a certain time. So if you have the squelch open, the scanner will stop, and resume at whatever interval you want it to resume. I think the values are 1 sec, 2 secs something like that.

majoco

Stirrer
I have an old 2metre transceiver (a KDK FM2030) that has a switch that allows you to select the "scan stop" on busy channels or unused channels - handy if you want to find an unused repeater to call on, but otherwise, just plain useless IMHO!

Perhaps the OP doesn't want to listen to anybody? Try the "Off" switch.....:roll:

ScannerSK

It is possible to probe almost any scanner with an audio amplifier while it is scanning/searching to locate a pin to hook an amplifer to which will allow audio to be received while scanning/searching. I actually modified a PRO-60 scanner with a switch that would feed the pre-squelch audio into the post-squelch amplifier. With a flip of a switch I could listen to the scanner as it was scanning/searching frequencies. My purpose for this was to research frequencies composed of AM type modes of transmission that scanners do not stop at while scanning/searching. Wireless vehicle entry remotes, radar blips/noises and several other unidentified AM mode type transmissions were a few of the things I could hear the scanner zipping past and never stopping at.

It's possible, it's just a matter of probing the audio circuit near where the speaker wires feed into the circuit board.

Last edited:

Mrdx

Hi all, thank you for the input.

Some freqs I listen to I need to hear tracking "beeps" and many times it's in the noise level. When I scan in open squelch when we are not sure what freq we need, I have more of a probability to hear what I need to & it take less time to find the beeps. I hate listening for hours when I could find it in a much shorter time.

Also, others use the open sweep for a ghost box. Just a am/fm fast sweep that does not stop when it hears a signal...

I am sure there might be other usages for what I am looking for.

kd7rto

A communications receiver with a tuning knob would give you what you need. You could take any scanner and modify the circuit that mutes the audio, but with today's scan rates, you'd never be able to hit the button to stop the scan in time.

Mrdx

The tuning knobs or button I have but you cant sit with a receiver in your hand for very long pushing or turning a knob. As for hearing a signal then try and stop the scan and go back gives me a better shot then anything else at this point.

Looks like ill need to find an older scanner that was mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.