opinions led flashlights

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCoax

Premium Subscriber
A new feature on some lights release this past year was a mini USB charging port in flashlights. I've been using a FourSevens Maelstrom Regen MMR-X. It is a real convenience to not need a charger or worry about batteries. I believe they are on sale till the 4th. 20% off comes to $80. 800 lumens Cree XM-L2.

scannersnstuff

kcoax., of course i had to look at the reviews, and a youtube video. that look's and sound's like a great light.

scannersnstuff

I didn't want to start a new thread. My flashlight taste's grew up. I spent close to 3 bill's on 3 Thrunite tc12 rechargeable light's. One for me,one for my wife, and one for my best friend. I am highly pleased with it.

Anyone see the newer Olight m2r warrior ?. Any opinion's ?.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I didn't want to start a new thread. My flashlight taste's grew up. I spent close to 3 bill's on 3 Thrunite tc12 rechargeable light's. One for me,one for my wife, and one for my best friend. I am highly pleased with it.

Nice looking light. I like the USB charge capability. With most cars coming with USB ports, that seems like it would be useful.

I'm still stuck on the non-conductive lights. Still have my various streamlights. Just installed the Streamlight Vulcan in the back of my work truck, wired in to charge.

Looks nice, but too rich for my blood, at least for me to buy personally.

prcguy

I been using an Olight M30 Triton for about 5yrs and it was state of the art at the time for about $120. The M2 Warrior looks like a big improvement in a smaller package, I might have to try one. Otherwise I have drawers full of high end flashlights of all kinds, I love um.
prcguy

lmrtek

I avoid everything that uses AAA batteries since they don't run very long.
AA cells produce much more current and are the same price
And the lumen rating really mean nothing anymore since they have been greatly exaggerating the figures in so many claims.
I own dozens of led lights butt my favorites are the Larry lights.
They are very well made, put out a ton of wide dispersion light and use AA batteries.
I have one in every vehicle and tool box

rbm

I have more flashlights than I can count.
Some of them were more than a couple hundred $$.

For the last few years the one I EDC is the Olight S1R Baton. (Around $65 unless you can find a sale.)
"Olight S1R Turbo Baton Rechargeable LED Flashlight - CREE XM-L2 LED - 900 Lumens - 2nd Edition - Uses 1 x 16340 (Included) or 1 x CR123A"

Batteryjunction.com recently had a sale on them, but they're now out of stock for for another two weeks or so and the site shows the old price.
They may be on sale again when they get them back in.

I love it!
After the first one (for myself), I bought 4 more for my wife and daughters.
It's very small and uses one rechargeable (CR123/16340) battery. Included

It comes with a USB charging cable that attaches to the base of the light by a magnet.

"S1R Baton comes with a pair of potent Turbo outputs that produce 900 Lumens and 600 Lumens respectively, as well as four dimmer outputs that range from 300 Lumens down to just 0.5 Lumens"

Rich

5mXDstB.jpg

tzhLKPM.jpg

Last edited:

scannersnstuff

I do have 3 older luxpro's that use aaa. I put rechargeable's in them all. I found a great deal on the luxpro 250 lumen penlight. $9.99 at Lowe's. It was slashed from $18.00 . For the price, it's an *** kicking little light. Sale is still on.

Like scanner's, you can never have too many flashlight's.

ridgescan

I've owned only Maglights. I still have my 4-cell incandescent from '94 and it's still strong but my newer LED 3-cell is 620 lumens on high and it'll light up the stuff across the street almost as good as the headlights on my '16 RX350 with those newfangled beams.

kf5bti

I have owned everything from cheap Maglite to much more expensive ones like Stream-light. Personally I really like the Fenix PD35 Tact. These can be had for around $65 and use 2 CR123 batteries. If you use them much I prefer to invest in a rechargeable 18650 battery which will take the place of the CR123's.

rbm

Other than the small, one RCR123 flashlights, I've taken to building my own.

I just build 3 of them last week for family members.

They run on 2-18650 or 4-CR123 batteries. A pair of 18650's is my choice.

One Solarforce L2-D18 body for around $16.00

One 1000lumen LED Conversion Head for Surefire 6P G2 G2Z C2 D2 Z2 tactical flashlight for around $16.00 (includes LED)

And one Tactical Tailcap Momentary On Off Switch for SureFire G2 6P 9P 6PX G3 Flashlight for around $6.00

All can be found on ebay.

Total of around $38.
Bright enough to reach out 100 yards.

I've built around 12 of the over the last two years.

Rich

Image here:

Mxmech

Get a streamlight LED with a piggy back charger. They are pricey, but are worth it...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

scannersnstuff

I'm not against cr123's, it's just that they are pretty darn expensive. My one Gerber light is aa or cr123. My thrunite is either a 18650 or cr123.

RBM - Your shack look's awesome !

I am definetly a flashaholic now.

rbm

I'm not against cr123's, it's just that they are pretty darn expensive. My one Gerber light is aa or cr123. My thrunite is either a 18650 or cr123.

RBM - Your shack look's awesome !

I am definetly a flashaholic now.

Sounds like you're hooked! ;)

My grand kids are also.
They each have around 9 flashlights and a couple LED lanterns for power outages.

Years ago I built a flashlight for myself and it cost LOTS of money.
Then my wife saw it, turned it on, and instantly asked me if that was for her.

Well! Of course 'it was'. ;)

So I had to build another for myself.
She now has around 15 of her own.

That shack photo is probably 12-15 years old.

Since then, I've added more computers.
Around 6 TB HDD on each. (Now at 11 computers)

Added, some external docking stations with around 60 TB of shared hard drives on the network.
and ...........
25 more Uniden DMA scanners.

I normally log around 15 scanners 24/7.

The computers provide two Broadcastify feeds, and typically, 11 private feeds.
Two of them remote controlled using the RemoteFS app on Android phones.

My home network is a busy place! ;)

Rich

Just one of the computers:
https://imgur.com/YjPR6FT

CQ

What's Wrong with Analog?

Sure lots of you have one.

Last edited:

bharvey2

Sure lots of you have one.

I used to have one just like that. I recall using the same batteries as shown in the photo. I wish I still had it. It would be a kick to convert one to use an LED bulb for a bit of a "steampunk" vibe.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I picked up a couple of eBay specials from China. I'm very pleased with their performance.

They have multiple CREE LEDs and use four lithium 18650 Batteries. They're very bright and cast a wide beam. The listing below is for one of these flashlights only. You need to purchase 18650 batteries and a charger if you don't have one. The batteries install in parallel, so you have the capacity of one 18650 battery X 4.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRIGHT-500...hash=item5445f07436:m:mYa1xdK7WvCsRloY8kD_5fA

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I used to have a SureFire, but the TSA was kind enough to remove that from my bag on a trip, along with a Gerber tool.

Anyway, issue I had with the SureFire was the (at the time) odd batteries. Used to be a bit difficult to find the 123 batteries on the road. I could pre-order them, but it was expensive at the time.

Since the TSA was kind enough to relieve me of that awful burden, I've since kept my flashlights either fully rechargeable without needing to remove the battery or something that takes off the shelf, easy to find batteries. Specifically anything I can pick up at a 7-11, liquor store, or other late night establishment, has become my preferred choice.

I keep a Streamlight Vulcan in my work truck, but it's the older incandescent model.
I use the AA LED Streamlight plastic lights for most stuff. Bright enough for what I do, plastic so if I drop it into something at work, I don't have to worry about it vaporizing.
In my tool bag I keep a Streamlight 3C "HazLo" light. Again, non-metalic to prevent it from becoming one with a power system, bright enough for just about everything, waterproof, explosion proof, etc.
The Vulcan is great when there's a wide spread power outage and I need to really light things up.

My brother in law carries one of the Fenix lights and really likes it. Bought them for all his guys, but he supplies the batteries.

These new LED lights are pretty amazing, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.