Opinions Requested: Moving Firenet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Hi all,

I've made a suggestion to the database admins on RR, and they requested that I pose it to the local participants in the forum, since it is similar to an effort that was tried a year or two ago and got some negative response, to put it one way.

I'd like to see us move Firenet repeaters out of the county sections of the RRDB and into the existing provincewide agency "Agriculture & Forestry". Allow me to explain:

1. Firenet repeaters are not exclusive to the county they are in. In most cases, they cover multiple counties, and the one for action happening in "your" county might be in a completely different county.

2. Unlike when we tried this with RCMP - moving the PACS repeaters into a provincewide agency and out of the counties - we would create sub-categories in the A&F agency, which represent the geographic locations of each Firenet repeater/group. This would speak to the biggest complaint I recall about the RCMP migration, which was that all the channels were simply listed provincewide, without any regional/geographical attributes.

3. It makes sense, IMO, for all the A&F/Wildfire frequencies to all be in one location.

Here's what I would like to do (it may help to open the A&F agency in a new tab to review it):

- Change the main category from "Wildfire Operations" to "Wildfire Branch - Air Tanker Operations";

- Keep the "Air Tanker Operations" subcat currently shown, with a couple of minor changes:
-- Three new subcats, "Air Tanker Advisory South", for the 128.95 freq, centered on N50 W115; "Air Tanker Advisory Central", for the 130.75 freq, centered on N52.5 W115; "Air Tanker Advisory North", for the 130.175 freq, centered on N56.5 W115. The main "Air Tanker Operations" subcat would be provincewide (centered on N54.5 W115) and would contain all the other airband freqs.

- Add a new main category for "Wildfire Branch - Fireline", and put the "Fireline" subcat in there (again, set to provincewide coverage).

- Add a new main category for "Wildfire Branch - Firenet", and make multiple subcats in there, each covering an appropriate Firenet site, which will typically have between one and three frequencies/repeaters listed. Each subcat would have geographical data which would position it appropriately in the province, so that scanners that can use that information will access the right towers as appropriate.

Does anyone have any issues with any of this? I think it would make things work a lot smoother than having to search through county after county to find the Firenet channel/tower you want, and I don't think we'll run into the same concerns people had with the RCMP migration that was attempted a while back.

Please, chime in with any comments or thoughts.

Last edited:

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Hi all,

I've made a suggestion to the database admins on RR, and they requested that I pose it to the local participants in the forum, since it is similar to an effort that was tried a year or two ago and got some negative response, to put it one way.

I'd like to see us move Firenet repeaters out of the county sections of the RRDB and into the existing provincewide agency "Agriculture & Forestry". Allow me to explain:

1. Firenet repeaters are not exclusive to the county they are in. In most cases, they cover multiple counties, and the one for action happening in "your" county might be in a completely different county.

2. Unlike when we tried this with RCMP - moving the PACS repeaters into a provincewide agency and out of the counties - we would create sub-categories in the A&F agency, which represent the geographic locations of each Firenet repeater/group. This would speak to the biggest complaint I recall about the RCMP migration, which was that all the channels were simply listed provincewide, without any regional/geographical attributes.

3. It makes sense, IMO, for all the A&F/Wildfire frequencies to all be in one location.

Here's what I would like to do (it may help to open the A&F agency in a new tab to review it):

- Change the main category from "Wildfire Operations" to "Wildfire Branch - Air Tanker Operations";

- Keep the "Air Tanker Operations" subcat currently shown, with a couple of minor changes:
-- Three new subcats, "Air Tanker Advisory South", for the 128.95 freq, centered on N50 W115; "Air Tanker Advisory Central", for the 130.75 freq, centered on N52.5 W115; "Air Tanker Advisory North", for the 130.175 frqe, centered on N56.5 W115. The main "Air Tanker Operations" subcat would be provincewide (centered on N54.5 W115) and would contain all the other airband freqs.

- Add a new main category for "Wildfire Branch - Fireline", and put the "Fireline" subcat in there (again, set to provincewide coverage).

- Add a new main category for "Wildfire Branch - Firenet", and make multiple subcats in there, each covering an appropriate Firenet site, which will typically have between one and three frequencies/repeaters listed. Each subcat would have geographical data which would position it appropriately in the province, so that scanners that can use that information will access the right towers as appropriate.

Does anyone have any issues with any of this? I think it would make things work a lot smoother than having to search through county after county to find the Firenet channel/tower you want, and I don't think we'll run into the same concerns people had with the RCMP migration that was attempted a while back.

Please, chime in with any comments or thoughts.

I second this.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Actually, having more than one main category would probably be unnecessary, now that I think about it. So we could just have one main cat "Wildfire Branch", and all the subcats I listed above all lumped in together under that main cat.

No big change to what I proposed in post #1, except that the category names on your scanner (and the RRDB) would be shorter.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Actually, having more than one main category would probably be unnecessary, now that I think about it. So we could just have one main cat "Wildfire Branch", and all the subcats I listed above all lumped in together under that main cat.

No big change to what I proposed in post #1, except that the category names on your scanner (and the RRDB) would be shorter.

I'm for this as it's been explained. Much better than the RCMP boondoggle.

omrail

This sounds good. I personally don’t listen to that stuff very often as I’m not in that part of the province. My only thing is as long as it stays geographically as sounds like I’m OK with it.

Having stuff set up for location-based scanning in today’s world is not catering to one specific company or even a scaner unit itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.