OPP Eastern Ont MWS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocscan

Premium Subscriber
Just this week hearing references to OPP having MWS's, Heard on TG 2OPS_37. Any idea if this is just a trial or is it being rolled out across eastern Ont.

JPM-ARG

Google shows documents indicating the OPP moved to Intergraph CAD in Q3 2008, so it wouldn't surprise me to find they're going to put the mobile client in the cruisers.

I'm curious as to what they're going to use to move their data; Ontario's a big place, and I imagine there are a lot of places where cellular data isn't available.

Crazy_flyer8

One I have been on ride-alongs most the cars have had laptops (tough book) of a while but don't use them for much other then doing reports. I don't know if there was an option to see calls or anything but we sure didn't use it. He was able to look up plates and stuff which allowed us to work without talking on the radio much other then to pick up calls, or to get suspension notices.

The newer cars are getting a newer system that is just the screen with the keyboard separate not a laptop they are supposed to be a lot better.

Oh btw they can also do both form 1 and form 3. They have a little printer in between the seat makes tickets a breeze.

I think they are and HSD (Highway Safety Division) unit thing not anywhere else. It has something to do with cost of allowing connectivity in all of the area's of Ontario.

unlisted

I have personally seen a few supervisor type trucks with laptops mounted in them. (all over Southern Ontario)

I also heard a few references with HSD talking about the MWS on the radio the past few days.

atane

Huronia West and HSD units have several cruisers with laptops and Internet in them . They now can run plates, use CIPIC, Do CNI Checks and have tied into the insurance board of Canada to confirm coverage.
Internet is provided By Icoach out of lindsay.

hitman1303

Ya OPP is moving to a new radio system within a year or so. The system now is insane but I hear the new radio system coming is even better.

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
Ya OPP is moving to a new radio system within a year or so. The system now is insane but I hear the new radio system coming is even better.

OK I keep seeing vague comments & hints about it popping up ,...what is the deal here , someone has to know ,....?
Is the OPP planning to upgrade in some fashion that will be unmonitorable?

Please can we get some solid info ,....& details?

Its the last Law enf I can monitor in this area , & one of the few reasons I would still upgrade my desktop radio if they will remain monitorable....

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
OK I keep seeing vague comments & hints about it popping up

Vague comments & hints??

So far we've got one guy saying they're moving off of Fleetnet in a year or so but he's got a low post count and no facts to back up what he's saying. If he had any concrete information, he would have posted it by now.

The old NOR system lasted about 20 years so I don't think the OPP would be so quick to dump Fleetnet. Parts are still readily available and nothing has been End of Lifed by Motorola yet.

If they truly moving to a new system within a year or so, you'd think that they would have started to build it.

Pure poppycock.

hitman1303

No its true, I was in Kingston this past summer and OPP had their mobile truck set up. We got onto the conversation about the radios and they told me they are upgrading the communications system. The officer said how the current system took 10 years to get in and how they are already continuing to upgrade. I am no expert on this stuff but this conversation came from OPP.

unlisted

I am in no way trying to fuel this rumour mill or anything but here is what I have heard -that sounds credible- from two individuals who do not know one another.

OPP is rumoured to be doing some type of upgrade or change around 2015. With encryption included in the new/upgraded system.

Now, the nonsense I have heard varies from a new system wide change with crazy encryption, to UHF or 700/800 (which would not make much sense with the distances up in Northern Ontario...)

...While thinking more about the UHF, maybe that would not be so far fetched. Isn't the RCMP going province wide with a UHF encrypted system soon? Maybe OPP is looking at that new system when its up and running?

Again, I do not have ANY confirmed/credible information, I am just posting what I have heard in passing. The two persons I speak of, one is a employee of the provincial government (not with OPP, just some random pencil pusher) and another is a paramedic.

Nighthawk101

from what I have learn't the only upgrades expected in the future is all the cruisers to have MDC Units installed. MTO has been using them for a number of years (since they got the new F150 Trucks) I was pulled in for an inspection 2 years ago this may, I was run on a computer not over a radio. The OPP will recieve calls, information and updates.

They will still call in for Comformations on 10-61 or 10-72. Last week I seen one of these units and they are just a Tough Book laptop, with some extras. They can even get a tow truck by the push of a button

BY BY CHASING ----

I don't know much, but am learning more everyday

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
from what I have learn't the only upgrades expected in the future is all the cruisers to have MDC Units installed. MTO has been using them for a number of years (since they got the new F150 Trucks) I was pulled in for an inspection 2 years ago this may, I was run on a computer not over a radio. The OPP will recieve calls, information and updates.

They will still call in for Comformations on 10-61 or 10-72. Last week I seen one of these units and they are just a Tough Book laptop, with some extras. They can even get a tow truck by the push of a button

BY BY CHASING ----

I don't know much, but am learning more everyday

Sure, some calls may be dispatched by MDT but common operations will still be as usual. Pretty difficult for officers involved in a call of some sort to only talk via their workstation, especially if they are driving.

Lets just enjoy what we have folks, while we can. Of course they will be upgrading the system at some point but it's not going to be anything majpr any time soon... (in the areas currently serviced by Fleetnet at least). Don't forget there is the $$ aspect that has to be accounted for here too.

Status
Not open for further replies.