OPP garbbled

Status
Not open for further replies.

edd55

Hi there, have a psr-600, seems when I hear some good stuff and there talking okay then it gets garbbled , is this normal, or do I have to set something else up, new to this trunking stuff, the signal I have all five bars..!

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
That's a very tough question to answer. Is it normal? For the most part, yes. There are plenty of times where you will hear some garble and the dispatcher may come back and say 'Can you repeat that? You went digital...' So it happens from time to time on all radios, just scanners. It's also possible that you are getting intermittent interference from something. In my case, I have a paging tower about a 1/2km from me that totally wipes out Fleetnet whenever it keys up. Usually only lasts a few seconds, but it always seems to happen in the middle of something interesting. You could also be too close to the transmitter itself and the scanner is overloading. To rule this out, try using the ATT (Attenuator) setting.

VE3JSO

or it could be encryption on that certain talkgroup

not likely if he is just listening to the regular dispatch talkgroup. i get the same thing when i am listen to the dispatch talkgroup and like forts said sometimes the radios on the talkgroup sometimes goes digital noise if it's normal that i can't say ether way

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
not likely if he is just listening to the regular dispatch talkgroup. i get the same thing when i am listen to the dispatch talkgroup and like forts said sometimes the radios on the talkgroup sometimes goes digital noise if it's normal that i can't say ether way

I dunno, maybe it is encryption he is talking about. There was reference to "good stuff."

Perhaps the original poster could fill us in ?

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
the GRE default signal meters are certainly not the most accurate... the RSSI can be modified but I wouldnt use them as a reliable source. Ive seen 4 bar signal yet NO "T" symbol meaning it doesnt see the control channel. So whats the signal meter really showing?

Depending on location some spots have a very far distance between towers, if your halfway in between the signal is sometimes iffy/finnicky. Using an indoor antenna some days I get King Tower 5 bars the next day I get no bars. Moving the scanner 6 inches to the left can also vary the signal meter from absolutly no signal to 5 bars full (again using the included antenna).

What antenna are you using the included silver telescoping antenna?
Look at upgrading your antenna as an option. Also ensure your proper towers are programmed in.

If it is a non-dispatch channel its also possible that one user was in the clear and another was enc (the 600 does not block out enc talkgroups)... if it was a regular dispatch channel then none of the talkgroups should have been ENC so you can rule that out.

Last edited:

edd55

OPP Grabbled

Hi there, any thank you's for the reply, I heard today on my scanner the OPP dispatcher ask the caller to repeat because he went digital..! okay that there told me what was wrong..! I took the advice from Forts and set the ATTEN to on and set the MULTI SITE to Stat also, seem to help alittle, also went in and added a few freq's from Cobourg in the Peterborough TR-Frequencies seem to get a lot more but then again just might be a good day for scanning, who knows..! I have not got a clue what I'm doing but love messing around with different settings..! I live in the North end of Peterborough, my antenna I got out of Alberts scrap bin and used bicycle spokes to rebuild it.. works great able to hear from Ajax to the Big Apple on the 401 no problem..! I've been in scanning since 1974 and had many scanners from Radio Shack but this new Trunking is all new to me..! lots to learn...!
The best antenna I ever used with my old BC760 XLT which I still have was a CB 5/8 ground plane...

Anyway take care..Ted

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
yes i sometimes hear the dispatcher say u went digital as well... so its not just scanner users that sometimes have issues with digital.

OPP also have 100watt repeaters to help... tells you something there.

Forts is a wonder glad his suggestions helped you out

uncleblackie

It's the scanner.
My 600 does the same.

As Toronto Kris mentioned, sometimes you have adequate signal strength but no trunking indicator due to interference. The attenuator may help for base setups but I find it is a hinderence for mobile ops.

Even in non high rf environments it still desensitizes way to easily.

I bought mine specifically for the "roam" feature to use on fleetnet while mobile, but have been very dissapointed in it's performance. The roam feature itself works fine but when you can't get a trunking indicator due to rf overload then the roam feature is useless.

I tweaked the settings as per the reccomendations in Mark's easier to read scanner guide which has made a little improvement but not much.

using a less sensitive antenna is actually better than using the attenuator.

Desensitizing is the number one reason for the numerous complaints in the GRE forum about the 500/600's missing transmissions altogether.

Last edited:

edd55

OPP Grabbled

Thank you for your reply's, uncleblackie, torontokris, bigcam406, animaljr43 and Forts, I've learn allot from you guy's...! seems I will have to focus more on my antenna now..!

Status
Not open for further replies.