Oregon north coast area

MountainMoose

Premium Subscriber
Hello folks,
I'll be in the north coast area in June. Are most frequencies ( Seaside, Cannon beach, Lincoln city Astoria, Etc) conventional? This is what i am finding on RR here.
If that is NOT the case what digital or trunked system should I be looking at.
Thanks, appreciate it. Be well.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Things should still be analog. Not a lot of big budgets for digital and/or trunked radios. Over at the coast, a lot of the smaller agencies will be dispatched on shared / common frequencies (with their own frequencies kept for local use), so be sure to scan everything. Oh, and don't forget to monitor the marine channels. A good pair of binoculars are nice to have for watching the ships cruising down the Columbia River, too.

Enjoy your visit!

MountainMoose

Premium Subscriber
Things should still be analog. Not a lot of big budgets for digital and/or trunked radios. Over at the coast, a lot of the smaller agencies will be dispatched on shared / common frequencies (with their own frequencies kept for local use), so be sure to scan everything. Oh, and don't forget to monitor the marine channels. A good pair of binoculars are nice to have for watching the ships cruising down the Columbia River, too.

Enjoy your visit!
Appreciate the help. Thank you!

jeremym70

Yep, I have the SDS100. I'll be sure to scan this as well.
Don’t bother scanning OSRP anywhere on the coast. It is a horseshoe system that starts south of Eugene on I5 and goes north to Portland, east on I84 to 97, south to below Bend. Plus some sites within the horseshoe. Oregon Coast is almost entirely VHF conventional analog for public safety.

MountainMoose

Premium Subscriber
Don’t bother scanning OSRP anywhere on the coast. It is a horseshoe system that starts south of Eugene on I5 and goes north to Portland, east on I84 to 97, south to below Bend. Plus some sites within the horseshoe. Oregon Coast is almost entirely VHF conventional analog for public safety.
How about for OSP? appreciate the tips.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I have mine setup to enable sites by county. I see there are no sites for OSP in Clatsop, Columbia nor Tilamook counties. My bad. But you do have to get there, and I'd expect you'll travel through counties that do have sites.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Also, don't forget to scan the USCG. They have a presence up and down the coast, and their Motor Lifeboat School is just across from Astoria -- on the WA side near Ilwaco / Cape Disappointment ("Cape D").

Same goes for the land management agencies... there is a lot of public land along the coast: USFS / BLM / ODF (Oregon Dept. of Forestry) / WA DNR (Dept. of Natural Resources) / WA State Parks. (Note: OR State Parks has a couple of VHF simplex channels they use at larger parks, whereas WA State Parks are a full-fledged LE agency.)

MountainMoose

Premium Subscriber
Also, don't forget to scan the USCG. They have a presence up and down the coast, and their Motor Lifeboat School is just across from Astoria -- on the WA side near Ilwaco / Cape Disappointment ("Cape D").

Same goes for the land management agencies... there is a lot of public land along the coast: USFS / BLM / ODF (Oregon Dept. of Forestry) / WA DNR (Dept. of Natural Resources) / WA State Parks. (Note: OR State Parks has a couple of VHF simplex channels they use at larger parks, whereas WA State Parks are a full-fledged LE agency.)
Absolutely! From having once lived in WA state i know all well the very active comms of USCG :)