OSP Trunk System Mill City

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkf435

Just listening to the OSP Trunk channel covering Mill City on the Green Peter site and they are expecting the site to be going down because commercial power out and the batteries are getting low and ODOT cannot get to the site to replace them. Time to find a SNOWCAT I guess. We have over 12 inches here in Foster and still snowing.

David Kb7uns

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
You'd think they'd have a big solar panel up there to charge up that battery. If so, maybe it's covered in snow? Or maybe it can't keep up with the drain on the battery? That repeater is probably getting more use than normal right now. Do they have a VHF repeater up there too? I wonder if all the OSP units still have a VHF radio in their car.

dkf435

During the summer heard them testing the 154.860 VHF on HWY22 up through Detroit to the Junction and they had the VHF sites tied together but still had bad spots. I live out by the Lake in Foster at 970FT and we have around 14inches. With a direct view of Green Peter the tower in encased in snow and ice, solar is noway going to work any where around here.

David Kb7uns

nightfoam

Premium Subscriber
Late to the game on this but yes Green Peter lost power and solar was covered with snow. Had the same issue last week with Halls Ridge, which hosts OSP, ODOT, MCSO, LCSO, MCPW, Idanha-Detroit fire, USFS and the Verizon tower that covers the upper canyon. Public Works and the sheriff's office tries to get up to Halls with a snow cat and snowmobiles but there was too much snow. The situation eventually fixed itself apparently.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

dkf435

Things are just barely getting thawed out here. All week long the tower on Green Peter was encased in a heavy layer of ice and we still have snow on the ground and I am at 970ft.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.