• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

    Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

    If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

    To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

    The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

    For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

    This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

OTA Alias support ADDED

K9KLC

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
3,133
Reaction score
3,374
Location
Southwest, IL
Many thanks for this!

Have been trying to keep up with the Telegram thread--if that's even the correct term--but am having a devil of a time sorting through all the messages... From what I've read, you recommend that the G5 have the latest 2.05 firmware, and use the latest PPS of 4.00.48--is that correct?

Also, I'm unclear about which G5 model version will work... my G5 is pre DMR, and runs flawlessly on V1.33 firmware. Would hate to upgrade to the 2.05 f/w only to find out my G5 is too old.

Thanks,
Both my G5's are from 2019. One has 2.05 on it and the other 1.35. I too am interested in this information. Both my G5's have DMR even from that era. (67 in the model number).
correct FW and PPS
I have this PPS and 2.05 on my one pager, are you suggesting I do not install it on the one still running 1.35?
 

Phillipsc84

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 7, 2004
Messages
385
Reaction score
64
Location
Fort Mill, SC
Both my G5's are from 2019. One has 2.05 on it and the other 1.35. I too am interested in this information. Both my G5's have DMR even from that era. (67 in the model number).

I have this PPS and 2.05 on my one pager, are you suggesting I do not install it on the one still running 1.35?
Correct, this was built from the 2.05 firmware so you need this one so that all the addresses and changes line up in the "right places". I would run it on the G5 with the 2.05 first and see it working then update the other one if you want to. If you run the app it has a compatibility check button.
 

Phillipsc84

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 7, 2004
Messages
385
Reaction score
64
Location
Fort Mill, SC
This is a tool that you can run on the G#N and G#+ (If they are in fact different) and send me the report so I can make sure this works on those as well. I need a few reports so that I can get a broader overall "look" into the hardware. This is a read-only tool and makes no changes at all to the radio. The more I get the better.

This is only needed for those newer models, not the original hardware G4/5 "A" series.
 

Attachments

  • GSeries_Platform_Reporter_v1.0.zip
    72.8 KB · Views: 4

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
914
Reaction score
354
Location
Hampshire County, WV
OK, I updated my G5 to the latest 2.05 firmware, and it's running fine. Installed the V1.4 of the OTA Alias mod, and I'm starting to see some initial alias activity... This is certainly handier than carting around the 45 DSD+ dongles it takes to monitor our WV SIRN area. Perhaps I'm exaggerating a bit on the number of dongles.

This is pretty slick... thanks very much for setting this up!
 

K9KLC

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
3,133
Reaction score
3,374
Location
Southwest, IL
Correct, this was built from the 2.05 firmware so you need this one so that all the addresses and changes line up in the "right places". I would run it on the G5 with the 2.05 first and see it working then update the other one if you want to. If you run the app it has a compatibility check button.
Thanks I'll see about getting it installed in a couple hours when I get home.
 

Phillipsc84

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 7, 2004
Messages
385
Reaction score
64
Location
Fort Mill, SC
OK, I updated my G5 to the latest 2.05 firmware, and it's running fine. Installed the V1.4 of the OTA Alias mod, and I'm starting to see some initial alias activity... This is certainly handier than carting around the 45 DSD+ dongles it takes to monitor our WV SIRN area. Perhaps I'm exaggerating a bit on the number of dongles.

This is pretty slick... thanks very much for setting this up!
Very glad to see it working for you!
 

K9KLC

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
3,133
Reaction score
3,374
Location
Southwest, IL
Correct, this was built from the 2.05 firmware so you need this one so that all the addresses and changes line up in the "right places". I would run it on the G5 with the 2.05 first and see it working then update the other one if you want to. If you run the app it has a compatibility check button.
Ok one more question, (ya ok right LOL). I have a knob position that is trunking monitor for all TG's and I have some already named...do I need to make any changes to that? Will my naming convention still be there or just the OTA alias stuff or?? I can remove all the TG's if needed (the ones I had named probably 40 or so) but I'm just curious as to what's going to happen there.
Also, for the non wildcard knob positions. Will my name assignments stay there or will they be replaced.

Thanks.

Edit: as you can already see it was 2 questions, not 1. ;)
 

Phillipsc84

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 7, 2004
Messages
385
Reaction score
64
Location
Fort Mill, SC
You do not have to change anything. The contacts you programmed in to PPS for that system will take priority. If not contact exists then the OTA alias will show. Talkgroup names are unaffected.
 

brndnstffrd

Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2010
Messages
449
Reaction score
203
Location
CT
You do not have to change anything. The contacts you programmed in to PPS for that system will take priority. If not contact exists then the OTA alias will show. Talkgroup names are unaffected.
That is exactly how I was hoping it will function. I will probably give it a try this weekend.
 

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
914
Reaction score
354
Location
Hampshire County, WV
Here's how it looks on my G5... top is the talkgroup as I entered it, second line is the Alias. Sorry for the crappy photos.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1020.jpg
    IMG_1020.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1017.jpg
    IMG_1017.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 8

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
914
Reaction score
354
Location
Hampshire County, WV
Sorry... I wasn't clear. The name next to the "To" is the talkgroup I entered into the PPS. The name next to the "Fm" is what is the alias.

So, I'm basically showing two different transmissions: One is the state police car, and the second is the dispatcher (SP Romney OP1).
 

K9KLC

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
3,133
Reaction score
3,374
Location
Southwest, IL
Sorry... I wasn't clear. The name next to the "To" is the talkgroup I entered into the PPS. The name next to the "Fm" is what is the alias.

So, I'm basically showing two different transmissions: One is the state police car, and the second is the dispatcher (SP Romney OP1).
Okay thanks.
 

K9KLC

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
3,133
Reaction score
3,374
Location
Southwest, IL
EDIT: Ok I turned the pager off and on and it's now frozen at the boot up screen and has been for 15 minutes, I'm trying the repair/install now to see what happens.....

EDIT 2: Ok I re-flashed the 2.05 firmware from Unication and all seems normal again I may try this again later today I had some kind of error show up but it didn't dawn on me to screen shot it when I saw it when I tried to reinstall it from the software here. I'll report back more possibly later today.

I installed the software this morning and it is working however, it appears the majority of cars and only about 50% of the things here have the Talker alias available on them so a large majority of the time I am only still seeing numbers. No fault of the software I don't think. Honestly, a lot of my groups here I don't even get a number only "P25T" on that line.

The install took about 5 minutes and as far as I can tell no other changes have taken place it seems to be working as before which is well, here for my simulcast system.

I checked a neighboring system I can receive here from another county and it was again mostly numbers however a few alias's did pop up. It's pretty early here so as more traffic happens, we'll see what's what. All in all it went smooth and in the first 30 minutes after the install all seems normal.
 
Last edited:
Top