P25 One-Frequency Trunk vs. Conventional P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
By the way, regarding programming it as a "one frequency trunk" vs a "conventional" channel.

Uniden, for whatever reason, treats what the rest of the world knows as "conventional P25" in two different ways. You can program a channel as a "conventional" channel with P25 audio, and get all transmissions that match the NAC you program in (or, if you don't program in a NAC, all transmissions period). However, P25 CAI (Common Air Interface, another name for "P25 audio", essentially), also carries the numeric ID of the radio and the talkgroup. So technically speaking, it is like a trunk, but one without a control/data channel.

If you program a frequency as a "one-frequency trunk", you can receive not only the audio transmissions, but see the talkgroup ID and radio IDs in use. You can also give labels to them, just like a "normal" trunk system. I guess that's probably the reason Uniden does it this way.

As to why you didn't hear anything when you programmed it that way, I have no idea. Every time I've programmed up a "one frequency trunk", I've gotten it to work. I don't put in the NAC - I just leave it at "NAC Search". Also make sure that "ID Search" is enabled - that might have been your downfall. I've even been able to put multiple frequencies in a "one frequency trunk" system, both by putting multiple frequencies in one site, and by putting multiple sites in a "one frequency trunk" system. The latter makes it easy to manage radio IDs if one agency uses a bunch of conventional frequencies, although you lose the ability to identify what actual frequency they're using.

D

DaveNF2G

I think the "NAC Search" setting might be why it has never worked for me. Thanks for the tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.