• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

P25 programming

JackRoberts23

Was Justin Schmidt
Recently, while trying to find different ways of programming P25, I found this

"Instead, I found a new monitoring technique that seems to work well without any risk of affiliation. Instead of programming a trunk system, I instead have inputted the listed system voice frequencies as RX only conventional channels. For each voice channel, I set the NAC to F7E to admit all traffic. Next, the conventional profile I set up is configured for Astro mode only, and I strapped the profile with a single Astro talk group, set at 65535 (unmute for all talkgroups). I then set all the voice channels, 8 or so, on a scan list. Essentially, I have each channel configured as a P25 conventional channel, and low and behold, it actually works pretty well. The trade-off is I dint necessarily hear everything I want to, or hear traffic I don't necessarily want to listen to, but its not too busy of a system, so it's been pretty good so far."

How was this person able to achieve this? Can anyone help me figure out what the OP did? The frequency I need is 501.050 as a control channel and 477.2125 is the talkgroup frequency.

Thanks,
Justin

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
He's able to achieve it by doing what he posted. And talkgroups don't have frequencies by the way.

JackRoberts23

Was Justin Schmidt
How did he do it? When I try to do it I don’t know where to put the NAC he’s talking abt or the ASTRO talk group ID?

“And talk groups don’t have frequencies by the way.” Well if 501.050 is the control channel, what would that make the 477.2125?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Your post makes absolutely no sense. 501.050 is a control channel for the UHF simulcast cell of the Nassau County P25 system, and 477.2125 is an analog frequency used by ARFF at the Long Island MacArthur airport.

Buy a scanner and stop screwing around with stuff you know nothing about.

JackRoberts23

Was Justin Schmidt
477.2125 is a frequency I found for the 4/5 precinct for NCPD. Why don’t you try helping me learn, instead of telling me to buy a scanner and not get the opportunity to learn?

JackRoberts23

Was Justin Schmidt
So please help me. Let’s ignore that frequency for now, and help me figure out how to program the 501.050 the same why the guy I quoted did

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
This isn't new. Listening to trunked P25 system channels in P25 conventional mode is a very old technique, people were doing it before trunked NAS had yet been publicized.

All you're doing is setting the radio up to scan the voice channels as if they were conventional channels in a conventional scan list, but configured as P25 conventional. It's kind of useless on a busy system, but if the system is not very active you'll be able to track conversations most of the time and it's quite satisfactory.

Just program up ALL system channels, both voice and control channels, and have nuisance delete assigned to a button. When the radio locks to the control channel, hit the nuisance delete button.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
This is a motorola system right? Why would you want to program the control channel in this scan list? Just no...

JackRoberts23

Was Justin Schmidt
I’m still learning how to program P25. If all you guys are gonna do is discourage me from learning then I will figure it out elsewhere. I can here because it is a reliable source but you don’t seem to be the nicest bunch.

If you want to help me learn please PM me

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I’m still learning how to program P25. If all you guys are gonna do is discourage me from learning then I will figure it out elsewhere. I can here because it is a reliable source but you don’t seem to be the nicest bunch.

If you want to help me learn please PM me
The text you quoted in your first post explained how that person did it. Another member told you how to do it. What exactly are you expecting?

JackRoberts23

Was Justin Schmidt
I’m not sure how to program the ND. The person I quoted first seems to have more of an understanding of ASTRO 25 than me. I will work on what he said all night and see if it makes a difference.

He puts a strap, a talk group ID and idk how to do that stuff

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I’m not sure how to program the ND. The person I quoted first seems to have more of an understanding of ASTRO 25 than me. I will work on what he said all night and see if it makes a difference.

He puts a strap, a talk group ID and idk how to do that stuff
Now you’re getting somewhere. Make an attempt on your own, you’ll feel proud of yourself when you figure it out.

And I have no idea what system you’re trying to listen to, but I suspect you’ll be disappointed with the results.

JackRoberts23

Was Justin Schmidt
Ok. Please tell me if you think what I did is going to work.

1. Created a new conventional personality and made it Rx only and ASTRO only
2. Put the NAC to F7E like the guy I quoted

I can’t seem to figure out what he meant by strapping each channel with a talk group ID?