P25 trunking scanners

emtbls1987

I’m looking for someone who’s a geek and knows everything about scanners and radios systems or just scanners. Can someone explain to me how a scanner is able to monitor on (p25 trunking system) how it is able to know which frequency that lets say the local police who just started talking on the radio are using and. In better easier terms how are they able to work just about exactly the same as if you had one of the radios that was being used? The scanner doesn’t get info from the Control channel does it?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I’m looking for someone who’s a geek and knows everything about scanners and radios systems or just scanners. Can someone explain to me how a scanner is able to monitor on (p25 trunking system) how it is able to know which frequency that lets say the local police who just started talking on the radio are using and. In better easier terms how are they able to work just about exactly the same as if you had one of the radios that was being used? The scanner doesn’t get info from the Control channel does it?

rrobinso84

Premium Subscriber
...how it is able to know which frequency that lets say the local police who just started talking on the radio are using...
As you read up on how digital trunking works, keep in mind that the LEO didn't "just start talking on the radio!" He or she was using a radio that was set to a specific talk group on the system that affiliated with a site and when keyed assigned an available frequency for the transmission BEFORE the start of talking.

It's a fascinating system! Share what you've learned!

emtbls1987

Yeah I know how a trunking system works just didn’t understand how a scanner could work like a radio as in get info to use from the control channel to be able to know what frequency the Talk Group is using when someone on that group uses it
Thanks

emtbls1987

So I’m theory I could take a P25 Trunked transceiver and program it to do the same thing as a scanner just not transmit or affiliate with any site. I want to use a Bendix King KNG radio that I bought with P25 trunking and program it to of course only RX no TX. Reason why I want to do that is no offense but a transceiver portable or the BK one receives way better. Yes more $$$ thanks everyone

Kd8lzl

In theory you could program a radio to receive like a scanner to receive p25 systems, but it is illegal and doesn't scan as fast as a scanner. I would just buy a scanner.

JethrowJohnson

Yeah I know how a trunking system works just didn’t understand how a scanner could work like a radio as in get info to use from the control channel to be able to know what frequency the Talk Group is using when someone on that group uses it
You just program the scanner by selecting the type of system (P25 Trunk) and program the site (AKA tower or towers) and program the control channels (which would be all of them if it's a Harris system) and then program the talkgroups you want to monitor, and then it will monitor the active control channel and it will tell the scanner when one of those talkgroups becomes active and which frequency to tune to in order to receive the transmission.

Last edited: