P25RX Firmware Updates / Testing

kruser

Premium Subscriber
05-08_1130 is far superior on VHF than the previous test you provided. VA STARS is significantly clearer and calls are crisp.
I agree as well.
I'm seeing significant improvement for the VHF P25 sites within my range!
I'll still do some road testing away from home if I still see issues but I suspect the problem may be gone.

FP761

Premium Subscriber
05-08_1130 is far superior on VHF than the previous test you provided. VA STARS is significantly clearer and calls are crisp.

@ btt: Hi Todd. I continue to follow all of the updates and wonder if this particular improvement may have helped on my P25 Phase-1 UHF-T Band (470-512 Mhz) LSM System? Or, if anyone else out there is using there P25RX on a similar System?

Last edited:

Cheeseburgers

Been running 9:13 for a bit, seems very stable... also paring down my TGs seems to have really helped what I perceived to be audio drop offs. Still testing. Thanks for all your hard work Todd!

W0RS

Premium Subscriber
I am running ver 2153 but I continue to experience an issue. I don't believe it's an audio issue the more I look at it. I am listening to the Moswin system in Missouri, it appears to me to be of a signal issue as I look at the P25 device the signal level will turn blue and the audio would get choppy, so no surprise there. This occurs in a mobile environment. The issue occurs in all the other versions as well but while at home the signal levels and audio are fantastic!

I am running a whistler digital scanner on a external mobile antenna as well with no issues.

I wonder if the AGC on the P25 could be causing an issue bit I just don't think so. I am not sure what to try next in order to diagnose the issue......
🤔
Any thoughts?

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I am running ver 2153 but I continue to experience an issue. I don't believe it's an audio issue the more I look at it. I am listening to the Moswin system in Missouri, it appears to me to be of a signal issue as I look at the P25 device the signal level will turn blue and the audio would get choppy, so no surprise there. This occurs in a mobile environment. The issue occurs in all the other versions as well but while at home the signal levels and audio are fantastic!

I am running a whistler digital scanner on a external mobile antenna as well with no issues.

I wonder if the AGC on the P25 could be causing an issue bit I just don't think so. I am not sure what to try next in order to diagnose the issue......
🤔
Any thoughts?
Are the Moswin sites you see the troubles with VHF sites or the newer 700 MHz sites they've been adding across the state?

What antenna are you using on the P25RX when mobile?

I see the same signal fluctuations even at a home location with a dedicated VHF antenna and very good signal level.
The latest firmware versions Todd has release like 2153 have helped a lot but I'm still concerned about the signal fluctuations on the strong VHF signals.

W0RS

Premium Subscriber
Are the Moswin sites you see the troubles with VHF sites or the newer 700 MHz sites they've been adding across the state?

What antenna are you using on the P25RX when mobile?

I see the same signal fluctuations even at a home location with a dedicated VHF antenna and very good signal level.
The latest firmware versions Todd has release like 2153 have helped a lot but I'm still concerned about the signal fluctuations on the strong VHF signals.
It occurs in 700mhz range but I would say the same thing exists when I travel to Branson where it's in the VHF spectrum....

W0RS

Premium Subscriber
It occurs in 700mhz range but I would say the same thing exists when I travel to Branson where it's in the VHF spectrum....
Forgot to add....I have used two different antennas on the Whistler and Uniden scanners, one was a Larsen 700mhz/800mhz both performed fine. When on the P25 neither antenna helped with the issue. I believe a safe conclusion is an issue with the P25, there is something that is causing the issue, but what......🤔 I am sure Todd at this point is probably stumped. Look at what Uniden went through with there R&D to perfect the SDS100. It will probably take some time to get it pinpointed. I appreciate Todd's endeavors to get it right because it's s not easy😷

turnpike61

Ham and Electronics hobbyist since 1977.
Premium Subscriber
2021-05-08 2153 is rock solid. Good capture of the initial syllables of even short calls, and good decodes. I have pared the CC list to two single systems - one my local 860 MHz system, and the other the VA STARS VHF system on 151 MHz. This makes the P25RX switch back and forth quite rapidly during roaming between two bands that are far apart. I wanted to see if some of the issues I had heard on voice calls with earlier FW versions were a result of slow PLL lock as the system switched between bands, but this has not been the case, and I am impressed. This one's a keeper, Todd.

btt

Banned
Banned
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm glad to hear that the latest changes are working good for most. I'll continue to work toward getting the issue for W0RS and kruser figured out.

I wanted to see if some of the issues I had heard on voice calls with earlier FW versions were a result of slow PLL lock as the system switched between bands, but this has not been the case, and I am impressed. This one's a keeper,
Yes, the PLL is actually very fast. It is fast enough to do a decent swept spectrum analyzer..

I'm going to busy for the next few days and will not be as active on the forum. I hope to get some more hardware ready to sell by the end of the week.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm glad to hear that the latest changes are working good for most. I'll continue to work toward getting the issue for W0RS and kruser figured out.

I'm doing pretty well with the two latest versions Todd!
Most missing audio packets or choppy audio are gone with these versions.

The only thing that remains a mystery is why the Blks Per Sec fluctuate so wildly between just below 20 to the 40ish range on the VHF Moswin sites. And this is with a good -70dBm signal without signal fluctuations.
When the Blks P/S do dip to the low 20's or less, is when I'll still notice issues of course with audio decodes. It's still nothing near as bad as it was a week or so ago when I'd emailed you. I can live with it until you can take a look at it again later!

Take your time and instead concentrate on getting more units built. I'm sure there are some eager new customers out there patiently waiting to get their hands on a P25RX!

Reactions: btt

btt

Banned
Banned
Version 2021-05-16_1128 available. There is a new option on the advanced tab for changing the P25 p1 channel filter bandwidth. Try experimenting with various filter settings. Changing the bandwidth also changes the sample rate for the A/D converters / samples-per-symbol. A setting of 14.2 kHz is definitely an improvement over the default for a VHF system I monitor here. On another system, 12.4 kHz is a great setting. 20 kHz on another. I am curious to see what others will find experimenting with this setting. I'll get an option added for p2 later.

btt

Banned
Banned
Version 2021-05-16_1318 has an adjustment for P25 p2 channel filter bw. The default values for both P1 and P2 have been changed. They were both previously 18.2 kHz. The P1 default has been changed to 12.4 kHz and is definitely an improvement for the system I normally monitor. The P2 default bw has been changed to the 15.6 kHz setting, but has not been tested. Depending on what is reported from testing, I will change the default bandwidths accordingly. Note that this version will reset the configuration to default values.

Cheeseburgers

both at default, havent touched either.. the sync line is like perfectly straight and audio crystal clear

turnpike61

Ham and Electronics hobbyist since 1977.
Premium Subscriber
Great! I know you only monitor P2. What channel filter bandwidth setting are you using?
edit- I should also ask what the P1 channel filter bw is since the control channel uses that. Both of these settings are on the advanced tab.
Hi Todd: I am testing also. Are you saying that despite any settings for P1/P2, the CC's will all use whatever the P1 channel BW is set for?