P25RX Line Out Provision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike_G_D

I have this same speaker. I have not tried it on the p25rx. The user manual page 16 does talk about low audio when connected to line out. Basically, advises the unit may not work.
Yeah, I looked at the manual once I got the model number. It's designed to be driven from an external speaker output - a power amp output itself - and not from a line level output even though the input is high impedance like a line input.

So it is not designed to handle a "normal" line level like the P25RX puts out. Too low.

If I could see the schematic of the unit I could probably suggest a modification that could make it work. Likely there is an audio attenuating pad in front of the first preamp input. If you could bypass that pad (just some resistors) you could probably make the unit a LOT more sensitive.

But without a schematic I can't be sure. Only other option, at this stage, is to put an actual audio line driven audio power amp between the P25RX and the NES10-2 MK4.

The device is actually designed more as a special enhanced powered speaker to overcome ambient room noise using the filter circuit inside (presumably to boost up speech range frequencies while reducing non-speech range audio frequencies especially boosting those speech components that the average human ear is less sensitive to and reduce most non-speech noise components) and not to actually drive up the whole audio level. According to the documentation, the input maximum is stated as a power level of 5 watts rms and so is the output! That is telling as is the instructions to set the level of the unit to be the same whether powered on or off - this device's primary purpose is active filtering and not level boosting.

-Mike

btt

Banned
Banned
After reviewing the user manual for the speaker, I have come to the same conclusion. The information on page 16 clearly indicates that the NES10-2 MK4 does not have a high impedance input. The P25RX is a standard line-level output. It is a standard audio voltage source, but it cannot supply the current to directly drive speakers or headphones without a power amplifier in-between. The others who suggested a preamp/poweramp to make this speaker work with the P25RX are 100% correct.

Other notes regarding the P25RX: The DAC outputs are digitally filtered and can run in 16 or 24 bit mode. On the P25RX, they are run in 16-bit mode. The left and right channels do include passive RC networks to low-pass filter the output before the 3.5mm audio jack. In addition, the voice audio is FIR filtered before being sent to the audio DAC in order to provide optimal performance for voice frequencies.

W0RS

Premium Subscriber
After reviewing the user manual for the speaker, I have come to the same conclusion. The information on page 16 clearly indicates that the NES10-2 MK4 does not have a high impedance input. The P25RX is a standard line-level output. It is a standard audio voltage source, but it cannot supply the current to directly drive speakers or headphones without a power amplifier in-between. The others who suggested a preamp/poweramp to make this speaker work with the P25RX are 100% correct.

Other notes regarding the P25RX: The DAC outputs are digitally filtered and can run in 16 or 24 bit mode. On the P25RX, they are run in 16-bit mode. The left and right channels do include passive RC networks to low-pass filter the output before the 3.5mm audio jack. In addition, the voice audio is FIR filtered before being sent to the audio DAC in order to provide optimal performance for voice frequencies.
Ok, so if I understand correctly since the P25 has a line level output control I would probably not need a pre-amp but just an amplifier in between the P25 and the BHI MK4 speaker?

btt

Banned
Banned
Ok, so if I understand correctly since the P25 has a line level output control I would probably not need a pre-amp but just an amplifier in between the P25 and the BHI MK4 speaker?
Yes, any kind of driver. Even some unity gain voltage followers would probably be all that is needed. I sent you an email with a link to a product that might work.

W0RS

Premium Subscriber
Yes, any kind of driver. Even some unity gain voltage followers would probably be all that is needed. I sent you an email with a link to a product that might work.
Ok, Thanks a bunch.....🤪

W0RS

Premium Subscriber
Ok, Ordered the headphone amplifier, received and works great! Thanks for going above and beyond. I never thought there was such a device....😄👍

Reactions: btt
Status
Not open for further replies.