Palo Pinto County Storage Fire

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
Curious if anyone knows what frequencies the Storage Fire in Palo Pinto near Possum Kingdom Lake is currently being worked on, or what they normally work fires involving TFS on in this part of the state? I may be in that area tomorrow and was hoping to listen in for ground and aerial operations. Would I want to program the VFIRE, local and NIFC frequencies? Is there anything in particular that I would want to program for what I am trying to hear? I am aware that there's lots of stuff in the database regarding this, just hoping someone with more experience listening to incidents in that part of the state might be able to chime in and give me some programming advice and a clearer answer..

The fire is currently 1000 acres with 30% containment as of 21:02 hrs on June 29, according to the Texas A&M Forest Service Incident Viewer.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Curious if anyone knows what frequencies the Storage Fire in Palo Pinto near Possum Kingdom Lake is currently being worked on, or what they normally work fires involving TFS on in this part of the state? I may be in that area tomorrow and was hoping to listen in for ground and aerial operations. Would I want to program the VFIRE, local and NIFC frequencies? Is there anything in particular that I would want to program for what I am trying to hear? I am aware that there's lots of stuff in the database regarding this, just hoping someone with more experience listening to incidents in that part of the state might be able to chime in and give me some programming advice and a clearer answer..

The fire is currently 1000 acres with 30% containment as of 21:02 hrs on June 29, according to the Texas A&M Forest Service Incident Viewer.
Maybe try this one to listen at home.

I would program the TFS frequencies for the area. When I've been down in that area, when other large fires have been active, like the Carbon fire from a couple of years ago, and the large one that started around Tolar, & spread up north toward Lipan, the TFS channels were active.. If you don't have it already, load the Flightradar24 app on your phone. You'll be able to see the aircraft that are making water drops. I did hear a little activity on the Vfire channels. I have those, the NIFC channels, as well as TFS, in a 'wildfire' favorites list, just in case something comes up when I'm down in the area.

Palo Pinto county is setting up a trunked system for the various VFDs in the county, but so far, when I'm visiting a friend in southeast Stephens County, I have not heard anything on it. I would also include the Palo Pinto County ESD 1 frequencies.

nd5y

TFS will probably mainly use the VFIRE channels and the agency-wide channels at the top of the page.

If they bring in aircraft you should be able to hear the air attack supervisor talking to the TFS ground supervisors on 159.300. Aircraft will probably talk to eachother on 122.925. I don't know how much of the aviation frequencies in the TFS db page are still good. A lot of older stuff is in the associated wiki article . You might be able to hear aircraft and ground supervisors talking to Lufkin or Granbury on the TFS Granbury or Whitt repeaters depending on how far from them you are. Probably a good idea to program the inputs too.

If there are aircraft involved sometimes they order a TFR and sometimes those have a contact frequency listed. That will be on the FAA web site Federal Aviation Administration - Graphic TFR's.

I don't think they ever use any of the federal frequencies unless federal resources are involved and they bring in a federal incident management team that sets up their own command post.

I moved out of Miserable Wells a long time ago and they changed all the county radio systems since I left so I can't tell you what local stuff to listen to.

Last edited:

nd5y

The air attack plane for this morning might be N112EE.
It is. I heard Air Attack 2EE calling College Station Dispatch on the Whitt repeater (159.420) and now they are talking to ground units on 159.300. Very weak here but it appears the PL is 103.5 now or I was picking up something else. I don't know what's up with the different tone. TFS may have changed some stuff in the past couple years.

nd5y

Something is on 135.675 but too weak and too much local noise to copy it.
Conditions are worse now and I probably won't be able to hear anything the rest of the day.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I was in that area yesterday. While sitting at a stop sign in Strawn, waiting to turn onto SH 16, there was a convoy of about a half dozen Forest Service trucks headed north on 16. These were pickups with tool or equipment boxes in the beds of some of them. All had the Forest Service seal on the doors, with 'FIRE' stenciled on the tailgates.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
VTAC 11/36 for IC comms
159.30 main air to ground
Sorry I didn’t see this earlier…I hear the repeater clearly over in Weatherford! Of course can’t hear ground-to-air but air assets are very readable!
Listened Sat evening as the rekindle broke out near SH 16! Wasn’t home today..,

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Palo Pinto county is setting up a trunked system for the various VFDs in the county, but so far, when I'm visiting a friend in southeast Stephens County, I have not heard anything on it. I would also include the Palo Pinto County ESD 1 frequencies.

License doesn't reflect that is what those 800 MHz channels are for.

The county keeps a VTAC36 repeater out near PK for these types of instances. I was driving through Friday right after the rekindle was called in and heard dispatch move the on-scene crew over to VTAC36. Dispatch continued to page out on the ESD1 multicast and crews were simply switching to VTAC36 upon arrival on scene.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
"The county keeps a VTAC36 repeater out near PK for these types of instances."

That would explain the occasional beeps and noise on VTAC36 I hear from time to time! Thanks for the info...