BR330T: part id ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Was given a spare scanner that was over powered by its owner. Would anyone have any specs on the smd capacitor in the pic or a schematic for the Br330T? This is the part that goes boom and stinks up the house when one plugs a 12 volt wall wart into a jack marked 6 volts.

It says 100 10v. Is this a 100 μ F 10 volt cap?

Thanks.

2nuodw9.jpg

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You're wasting your time. If the circuit board got overvolted enough to blow the capacitor, you can count on every chip and most transistors being blown as well. The scanner is literally toasted; give it its last rites and move on.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I want to give a huge thanks to Radio Reference member Bill, WA0CBW. He suggested that I remove the blown cap and see what happens. So I did and what do you know, the scanner came to life. To the naked eye, nothing else seems blown and I dont have the equipment to test every component. So 10 to 15 minutes of time to remove the blown cap and install a new cap, it is running like new. The board was cleaned up as it was a little messy. But it works.

Glad I was not discouraged, checked my PM's and moved forward....

Thanks again Bill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV0EoAY8pT4

bwigen

dave3825....where did you purchase the replacement capacitor and what did you use for a part number, if you can recall? Was it pretty obvious when you opened it up as to what part you let the smoke out of? Thanks.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.