Patched Channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Status Bit Question

I have A question, is it better to have the Status bit on/ set to yes or off/ignore? do i miss more with it off or on?

qlajlu

Silent Key
I have A question, is it better to have the Status bit on/ set to yes or off/ignore? do i miss more with it off or on?
Enos, we had quite a discussion about Status Bits in this thread just a little over a year ago. According to gldavis' post at that time, the Status Bit Function is actually a Status Bit ignore command. In other words, when the Status Bit Function is "ON" your scanner will ignore the status bit and receive the radio transmission regardless of whether or not a Status Bit is present. You will receive ALL traffic. Indeed, the owner's manual for my scanner says that same thing.

Setting the Status Bit Function to "ON" will allow you to hear all the traffic on that TG regardless of the presence of a Status Bit.

qlajlu

Silent Key
SLCPD patches each night. Pioneer and Liberty join together in the early morning hours, then split again about noon when call volume dictates each needing it's own channel.

Nothing has to change for the users during the patch, you just hear all traffic from both channels on both channels, when they're split, you only hear Liberty on Liberty and Pioneer on Pioneer.
I have spent the morning with one scanner locked onto SLC PD Pioneer and one scanner locked onto SLC PD Liberty (West & East, Ch 1 & Ch 2). According to Observer1's post, these channels are patched each morning. If this is a "true" patch at the dispatch panel then it should display some of the phenomena discussed in the original post of this thread. That is not what's happening.

I did not receive any traffic, nothing, zip, squat, Nada, not even a squelch break, on the Pioneer Channel. ALL radio traffic was done on the Liberty Channel for both sides of the city, yet I know for a fact, from sources, that the cars DO NOT change channels, it is all done at the dispatch console.

So why am I not getting any of the results seen in Logan? If Pioneer cars send and receive traffic on their assigned channel on their car radios and handhelds, why am I not hearing their cars, at least, on the Pioneer channel?

I thought I understood what was happening, now I am back to my normal state of confusion, :confused: but at least I am not a stranger to this state.

qlajlu

Silent Key
Who/What Decides?

Once again I locked my scanners on SLC PD - one on Pioneer (West - TG 736) and one on Liberty (East - TG 704) - with the same results as I experienced yesterday (see above post) with one major exception. Today all comms were being carried on TG 736 (Pioneer) whereas yesterday all the comms were being carried on TG 704 (Liberty). There was absolutely nothing, whatsoever, heard on the other TG. What I found a little curious, however, is that the dispatcher was the same person both days.

Now that begs the question: When a patch is made, is it decided at the dispatch console by a human which TG will be the master, or does technology step in and dictate which one will be the master TG?

It does confirm, though, that our scanners cannot detect traffic from the "off" TGs, rather they must be scanning the active (Master) TG in order to hear all radio traffic if/when a patch is in effect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.